Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many brands out there; some synthetic. Just wondering if anyone used something other than Genuine Honda CVT Fluid?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used Eneos CVT fluid when I changed mine. Worked fine.

I like the Idea of using synthetic fluid. How many miles have you been using it for?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I see it on ebay about ten bucks a bottle. About the same price as the local dealer. Have you seen any vast improvements in performance at cold temperatures, cycling between reverse and drive? Have you made it to a second change of fluid and did you experience any changes or further improvements in your fluid change from the first?

On one hand I dont like changing my cvt fluid at every oil change, however it seems to improve the performance of the cvt, so that shows its either being used or containmated or a combination of the 2.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so that shows its either being used or containmated or a combination of the 2.
That's my understanding of transmissions. Perhaps the additives in synthetic fluid will last longer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a 2010 insight with 90k miles on it did the tranny fluid and both filters before a trip to gatlinburg used Valvoline CVT Fluid there website says it works for that model and is a perfect match HOWEVER on the way back from gatlinburg I noticed a slight shudder from a dead stop got home did some research decided to flush the Valvoline by flush I mean fill and drain x3 with 12 qts of Honda CVT Fluid ever since it runs much better so I won’t be using anything but Honda fluid from here on out and fingers crossed the Valvoline didn’t cause any long term damage.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I bought a 2010 insight with 90k miles on it did the tranny fluid and both filters before a trip to gatlinburg used Valvoline CVT Fluid there website says it works for that model and is a perfect match HOWEVER on the way back from gatlinburg I noticed a slight shudder from a dead stop got home did some research decided to flush the Valvoline by flush I mean fill and drain x3 with 12 qts of Honda CVT Fluid ever since it runs much better so I won’t be using anything but Honda fluid from here on out and fingers crossed the Valvoline didn’t cause any long term damage.
Yep use recommended only👍

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Unlike other Honda transmissions, the CVT drain and fill actually changes almost all the fluid. I doubt the 3X was necessary. But I do agree that only Honda CVT fluid should be used. On other more traditional Honda transmissions, there are other compatible fluids. Usually costing more, not less. And a normal D&F does only change 1/3 of the fluid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just did mine for the 2nd time using AMSOIL CVT every 80,000.. Made a hell of a difference at 30K for the Honda factory.. I like that it is clear amber, not red.. So darn easy in these.. Thanks Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
AMSOIL was just $10 a qt. And in my use much better. The orginial should not have been causing issues and 30K. Lab Tested AMSOIL lab testing also reveals AMSOIL CVT Fluid met, and in some cases surpassed, the protection and performance of Nissan NS-2 CVT Fluid: • In FZG wear testing (ASTM D5182), Nissan NS-2 achieved ASTAGEPASSWHILE!-3/),#64&LUIDSIGNIlCANTLY surpassed it with an 11 stage pass. • In the JASO LVFA Anti-Shudder Durability Test, AMSOIL CVT Fluid lasted six times longer, translating into improved anti-shudder durability and reduced noise, vibration and harshness. Just some lab facts.. Thanks Egads

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
30k is past due for a fluid change according to the guy who designed it. He thought every 16-18K was a appropriate.
Now that Amsoil might be marginally better, but I still say you got the most out of just changing it. Also, the street price of the Honda fluid is about $8.50

Our Insight got totaled, I'm only here to yank chains and clear up misconceptions. Like the poor guy who had a bad 12 volt battery, got an IMA light, and thinks he needs a new IMA battery pack. I think you are here to sell Amsoil.

·
Super Moderator
4,795 Posts
I'm not a G2 guy, but I have a G1 CVT. My main motive is to keep it alive. I will NEVER use anything but Honda CVT fluid. I change it every other oil change, 15,000 miles. I changed the filters at around 100,000 miles, and I will do it again before 200,000 miles. I don't understand why anybody would take chances with any other CVT fluid. Also, I will never tow it or put it in Neutral and coast. If I get REALLY bored I may pull the tranny and put new grease and o-ring on the flywheel splines.

Sam

·
Registered
5 Posts
30k is past due for a fluid change according to the guy who designed it. He thought every 16-18K was a appropriate.
Now that Amsoil might be marginally better, but I still say you got the most out of just changing it. Also, the street price of the Honda fluid is about $8.50

Our Insight got totaled, I'm only here to yank chains and clear up misconceptions. Like the poor guy who had a bad 12 volt battery, got an IMA light, and thinks he needs a new IMA battery pack. I think you are here to sell Amsoil.
You are right, you get the most out of every vehicle with proper maintenance, or changing fluids. Sorry to hear about your Insight, but just to let you know I don't yank chains or push to sell. You have your opinion and that's fine for you but maybe not the masses.. I don't post articles citing we are the Best! I just like to help if my products can provide better results and lessen the confusion! Again Thanks egads and hope another hybrid and enjoyment is in your future. (y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts