Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm off to the dealership tomorrow, but here's the latest thing. Drove into town at noontime yesterday (70.2mpg roundtrip by the way, really liking that), parked the car, came out after work, car won't start. No lights on or the like to drain the battery. Popped the clutch and started it up. No lights in the assist, charge or battery readout on the dash. Car drives home and finally as I pull in the dash lights are fading and that's it. The battery is drained. This morning I've got the battery disconnected and on a charger but I don't think the battery under the hood is the problem.
So as forewarned is forearmed, has anyone had an experience like this? Maybe I should call the car guys on NPR?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Battery under the hood is likely dead. What year Insight do you have? I do not think 02 and newer Insight's would let you push start them (mine wouldn't anyways), and curious have you had the ECM recall done if yours is a 00-01?

If you still have the original battery under the hood it is probably long overdue to be changed. You can have it tested at most auto parts stores for free anyways. There is no exact replacement battery really available, but a standard civic size battery fits in the tray and are cheap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Ricky,
Got the battery charging. We'll find out tonight what that does. The car hasn't had the batteries replaced yet, nor the IMA upgrade. The car is an '01 and I actually pop started it in reverse. Just the way the car was parked in relation to a slope.
Thanks for the reply.
I'm hoping that it won't spend a month or two at the dealers waiting for the replacement stuff.
Dave

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I was talking entirely about the little 12 volt battery under the hood of the car. If it's the original Furukawa battery that came with the car I'll bet money it's way past due to be replaced, the way the Insight alwas has that battery on a float charge they just don't last long. Charging it might make it work again temporarily, but you need to get it checked out with a load tester. It's likely very weak and without it the car won't start. It needs that battery to pull in the contactor for the high voltage stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts