Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to this wonderful community and I would like to know if you can help me out with my issue...

I'm in Quebec city, Canada and last Wednesday we had a huge snow storm... There was more than 30 centimeters of snow on the car and as I try to take my shovel in the cargo area, It was really tough to open the hatch with all the snow on it... Since, my hatch door just won't stay open... I just think I maybe break something... I just read that there maybe a known issue on the 2000 model about the rear shock... Would you help me out? :oops:

Thank you !!

Sarah

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
There are no "known" issues, except that the hatch struts are nitrogen gas filled. As they begin to leak, if only a small amount of gas has leaked out, in cold weather they won't have as much "lifting" power.

Once the weather warms you may notice an improvement until the leak further progresses.

If I remember correctly (IIRC) the Insight's particular size is hard to find. You may want to try one of the Honda etailers for a discount price over your local sources.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
i had the hatch slam down on my back one day when the snow and ice weighed it down...make sure it is completely cleaned off, because ice weighs alot more than one might think

HTH

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
On my 2000 Insight I had to replace the struts on my rear hatch last year because they were not able to hold the hatch up (even in the summer).

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Same problem here. A month ago I replaced the right side strut, then about a week ago the left side failed as well. Both began leaking oil and then lost their push....

The 2000 models are 7 years old now...Stuff like this is going to fail.

Be warned that the struts at the dealer are not cheap. $130 a piece is what I've paid. There are probably aftermarket versions but I did not bother to check.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
You can buy them online here at Majestic Honda

Real Honda part for only $49.84 each. (There is a left and right part - Items 1 and 2)

Replacing them is very easy.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
12 Posts
Non Honda Aftermarket liftgate strut.

I see many non honda aftermarket struts for the liftgate online for about $25. They specify travel and pressure. Which one do I need, or what are the specs for the Honda strut so I can match them? Yes I know I can get the honda oem from Majestic for $53- $72 by the time shipping is included.

Lift Supports

John 2000 insight 58 lifetime

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,925 Posts
jfischer:
That is the site here in SD that we get the aftermarket struts from. They are located in Escondido I believe. Just type in your vehicle information and the part number and strut will be shown.
HTH
Willie

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Mine failed last year after I bought it as soon as the weather got cold, hit me right in the back of the head! Grrrr. Got tired of carring a stick around in the back of the car to prop open the hatch while loading groceries so I ordered a pair of the aftermarket Lift Supports and love them, they work great.

·
Registered
894 Posts
jfischer:
That is the site here in SD that we get the aftermarket struts from. They are located in Escondido I believe. Just type in your vehicle information and the part number and strut will be shown.
HTH
Willie
Hi Willie, do you know if this is indeed the correct part? Comes to $58 total with the NYE2012 discount applied - a great price.
Lift Supports HONDA Insight 2002

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,925 Posts
Yep. looks right to me.

You could have drove up to Escondido and saved shipping.
Willie

·
Registered
227 Posts
Look very similar to ones I got off ebay for $54.45 including shipping for pair. So far working great and fit was perfect.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yep. looks right to me.

You could have drove up to Escondido and saved shipping.
Willie
I haven't ordered yet :D I'll probably go pick them up sometime this week.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,925 Posts
RJB:
Actually they are in San Marcos. Click on (about us) for the address. It's the last office on the end of the complex. Real nice people.
HTH
Willie

·
Registered
12 Posts
I only need the right one (replaced left last year), but cannot find a way to specify right only. Company has not replied to my query. Any ideas?

Thanks, jfischer51

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,925 Posts
The aftermarket ones are the same left or right. No difference. That's probably why the hatch opens up so easily over the OEM ones. (two different part numbers, probably two different psi settings.)

HTH
Willie

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I was getting ready to order a set from the link (Lift Support Depot) where they are 33.30 each. Go to Amazon and they are $24.90 each FROM THE SAME COMPANY. Got 2 for 49.80 and $6.94 shipping.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts