Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an Insight from a friend that needed to be freshened up before I could put it back on the road. Input shaft bearing is done and now the next part of the puzzle, the rear glass! Its at a glass shop getting it replaced and they broke to first one. I asked them why not just replace the whole hatch and they said that it would make the job take longer (more difficult?) because of the cable/latch system.

Does anyone have experience removing and replacing the rear hatch? Is it really that difficult? I dont have the car in front of me and I cant find anything online. Should I just have them mount the hatch and Ill figure out the cables or do you need a special tool?

Thanks and I look forward to browsing the forums!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
That’s funny. I pulled my whole hatch in a matter of 15 mins after removing two bolts on the hatch struts, there is one connector to unhook on the right side plastic panel by the side window. It’s best to replace the whole hatch glass cause removal is more risky of breaking the glass. If your on the northeast side I have a spare one up the garage. And the color does not matter unless your super picky, cause there no paint on the outside of the hatch. Pm me if you need help.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
As @Honda hybrid442 says the only connection you have to worry about is that harness connector at the top of the hatch. I would just buy his hatch (full disclosure: he is one of my Insight friends) and install it yourself.

Best to have one or two friends help hold it while you bolt it on. You will need to remove the trim from the inside of the car and maybe the headliner????? to disconnect that harness.

If you have the glass people do it, remove the trim yourself to save some $$ in labor. Almost certainly some of the trim retaining clips will break and this way you'll know it rather than hope they don't take a shortcut and not replace the ones they break.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I received an Insight from a friend that needed to be freshened up before I could put it back on the road. Input shaft bearing is done and now the next part of the puzzle, the rear glass! Its at a glass shop getting it replaced and they broke to first one. I asked them why not just replace the whole hatch and they said that it would make the job take longer (more difficult?) because of the cable/latch system.

Does anyone have experience removing and replacing the rear hatch? Is it really that difficult? I dont have the car in front of me and I cant find anything online. Should I just have them mount the hatch and Ill figure out the cables or do you need a special tool?

Thanks and I look forward to browsing the forums!
Where are you located? I'm looking for a hatch that's got broken glass, as I'd like to remove the glass to fill it in with aluminum sheet.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just pulled the hatch off a scrap car recently. It was a 15-minute job, but the interior trim was already off.

The fiddliest part was disconnecting the wiring harness in the passenger B pillar and fishing it up through the holes. Then, disconnect the struts, unbolt the hinges and finally a good lift to break it free from the paint/ glue/ whatever stuck the hinges down.

- Park

·
Registered
353 Posts
Can you tell me what the approximate weight on that hatch? wondering if I can tackle this job solo tomorrow.
It wasn't hard for me to pick up and carry the hatch - and I am far from a weightlifter. The size is a little awkward, but the weight isn't bad at all.

I'm not good at guesstimatingt, but maybe 20-30lbs? It's a lot lighter than the hybrid battery, I can tell you that!

Park

·
Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,158 Posts
oh, that's lighter than I was expecting. It's hard to gauge with the shocks attached. I'll be grabbing one from salvage yard tomorrow, Thanks!

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I may be a little late on this, I don't know if you've got the hatch installed yet. I replaced the whole hatch on mine a few years back. My hatch now has a slight leak on the right side near the middle. I think this is because I didn't remove adhesive that was around the old hatch hinges.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

I thought at the time the adhesive would help align the hatch. Now I believe it actually pushed it out of alignment. When I get the time I'll take the hatch back off, remove the adhesive and reinstall.

Good luck on your solo installment, I was fortunate enough to have my dad lend me a hand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts