Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several months ago my hatch release died when I loaned my dad my car while I was away overseas for a few months.

The factory manual is very vague on how to get in there. I have gotten close to getting in there but cracked the plastic on the back of the interior, got frustrated and gave up before I broke anything else. The motor works but it isn't releasing. My guess is someting plastic broke but I just can't get at it. Anyone else have this problem yet?

·
Registered
466 Posts
turning the key all the way wont work? i guess its a mechanical problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry, I left that part out. It will release with the key. Only problem is my hands are normally full when I'm trying to open the hatch so I have to reach into my pocket to get the key, then insert it with the one free hand while balancing items in the other then while turning the key I'llo be moving my finger over and lifting the hatch. A tricky manuver and it's getting rainy season soon so I think I need to fix it.

I want to be able to use the release that is attached to the hatch.

·
Registered
466 Posts
ok, electrical then. can you hear the latch trying to move when you push the release button up?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly. Not electric because the motor works - can hear it whirring when I engage button at the bottom of the hatch. That's what leads me to believe it is something plastic is busted. Even after looking at the manual I can't figure out how to get to the motor.

·
Registered
466 Posts
well, it sounds like you have it narrowed down to the right area. a broken part between the actuator and the latch mechanism itself seems about right. sorry i cant help more than that. i have not opened up that area on my insight.

anybody else???

·
Registered
16 Posts
hatch Release Repair

Short ver.
Fix: A connection in the pass side pillar (B ?) had some corrsion. Real Tech cleaned it buttoned everything up and we were out there 30min.
later. Good as new.

Long ver.
It sounds as if I had an identical problem to yours a couple of months ago.
Took it to the dealer. The R and R Guy (remove and replace) replaced the actuator. It worked intermitantly but if I tried enough it would open. Forward 1 month. Back to square one. Got same R and R guy. Problem way over his head. Service writer: Its going to cost several hundred to fix. We have to overnite parts etc. This 2hrs into the repair.
ME: GIT 'sic' a real tech on the job plus the extended warranty WILL pay for it.
Final outcome see above.

Wasabi PM me with phone# or questions if I can be of help to you.

Good Luck,

Joe

PS: It helped that the the service writer needed all 5's on his survey.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: hatch Release Repair

WoW! Sounds not so good. I avoid my Honda dealer at all costs as I now have a not so good relationship with them due to a problem with my HCH which I sold a little over a week ago.

They didn't get all 5's out of me either as they didn't resolve a simple problem that would of been of minimal cost to them.

I bet I may be a slight step above your R&R guy. I'm normaly pretty handy for car repair with my capabilites going all the way up to engine swaps. I should be able to repair this but so far once I got in there it had me stumped and the manual is extremely vague.

I'll PM you my #. Thanks.

Lil' Red 1 said:
Short ver.
Fix: A connection in the pass side pillar (B ?) had some corrsion. Real Tech cleaned it buttoned everything up and we were out there 30min.
later. Good as new.

Long ver.
It sounds as if I had an identical problem to yours a couple of months ago.
Took it to the dealer. The R and R Guy (remove and replace) replaced the actuator. It worked intermitantly but if I tried enough it would open. Forward 1 month. Back to square one. Got same R and R guy. Problem way over his head. Service writer: Its going to cost several hundred to fix. We have to overnite parts etc. This 2hrs into the repair.
ME: GIT 'sic' a real tech on the job plus the extended warranty WILL pay for it.
Final outcome see above.

Wasabi PM me with phone# or questions if I can be of help to you.

Good Luck,

Joe

PS: It helped that the the service writer needed all 5's on his survey.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ok had that problem twice with both My 2000 5 spd and My 2001 cvt if you hear the motor whining it is the latch mechanisim . You will need to replace the latch unit. There is a set of gears/sprag clutch, which strip out in the latch (couldn't resist attempting to repair the original unit). I am trying to remember the cost but it has been some while and my ole feeble mind cant recall, but it is a easy repair. The latch is in the lower section you snap off the cover in the cneter section and unbolt 3 bolts and 1 connector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm confused. I can only unlock my hatch (2000 model), I still have to use the button to open it.

I lost the second remote, and the one I've used for 6 years is not acting it's best, I replaced battery and some corrosion a year or so ago when it quit entirely, and its never quite been the same. :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ecfool, I believe you may have just explained it quite well for me. Where does the latch drop out from though? Do I have to remove the storage tub? I have a feeling I won't be able resist repairing it as well, it's a horrible habit. Thank You. :D

Pantera - when I press the button it doesn't open, that's what my problem is, actually I am talking about the button on the car that is under the hatch - not a button on a key fob. The car is already unlocked when I attempt it. Also, I think there is a way to clean your contacts on you key fob.

Ecfool said:
Ok had that problem twice with both My 2000 5 spd and My 2001 cvt if you hear the motor whining it is the latch mechanisim . You will need to replace the latch unit. There is a set of gears/sprag clutch, which strip out in the latch (couldn't resist attempting to repair the original unit). I am trying to remember the cost but it has been some while and my ole feeble mind cant recall, but it is a easy repair. The latch is in the lower section you snap off the cover in the cneter section and unbolt 3 bolts and 1 connector.

·
Registered
242 Posts
hatch latch

I've had intermittent problems with the hatch latch as long as I've had the car. Problem usually only occurs during cold weather. I guess some part is contracting with the change in temperature, or I guess it could be a poor electrical connection made worse by shrinkage.

If you need an electrical connection cleaner, try Corrosion-X. http://pacificcorrosion.com/ No, I don't own stock.

·
Registered
223 Posts
yeah you remove the tub and the plastic panel over the latch catch assembly then it is plainly visable very easy repair to do. Good luck if you can figure way to fix old ones let me know I have 2 in garage, dahmmed packrat syndrome.

·
Registered
242 Posts
hatch latch redux

this is the first winter (so far) that my hatch latch has worked flawlessly. Because of intermittent operation previous winters, I learned to turn the key with thumb and forefinger and flip the hatch open with middle finger.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have always despised the awkward hatch unlock with both hands full. I never even noticed a release button on the hatch, is this on the exterior? I will go out and see if I can find it, and then test to see if mine works. Going from the 91 hatch, I was spoiled by being able to pop the hatch from the drivers seat, but it sounds like you can release the insight hatch from the outside, assuming the car is unlocked, huh?
I hope so. :)
Frank

edit: found it! Saweeeet!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yes, make sure the doors are unlocked by hitting the key remote unlock button two times or by using the inteorior door unlock button. The release button is on the outside back of the hatch below the Honda symbol and above the rear bumper.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Short ver.
later. Good as new.
I went out to my car this morning and the electronic button whirrls around (sounds like a battery powered drill), but the hatch doesn't release. I didn't realize until I read this post that the key being turned far to the right actually will open the hatch. I did this and my hatch opened, but between the quoted text above and replacing the whole latch assembly what is the right fix?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts