Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The struts/stays on the back hatch have both stopped working at the same time. (Kind of like those twin studies.) Majestic Honda has replacements for $62.50 each side but the shipping is more than double the cost. I saw struts on eBay for $50 but they belonged to a 2010 model. Are those the same as the 2000 model? Any other ideas? Man, that hatch is too heavy to support on your head...:(

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't think they are the same, but the correct ones are available for $38.78 for a pair including shipping at auction #181356877007 at Ebay.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I just ordered them from the eBay seller. :) Good price. I hope they are easy to install.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I bought the jobbers ones and I don't like those.

They are too stiff
They stick on the open position. (noise when you close)
They stick on the close position. (Noise when you open)
The bushing is really low quality.

I ordered 2 new oem ones from majestic.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Easy

I just did this on 2 cars and it took all of 5-10 min each. Interesting it was only the left side that required replacing on both. You can't tell this when they are in situ, but when removed the left side was toast while the right sides were still very functional. Wonder if others have experienced this also?
Gerald

·
Registered
144 Posts
The struts/stays on the back hatch have both stopped working at the same time. (Kind of like those twin studies.) Majestic Honda has replacements for $62.50 each side but the shipping is more than double the cost. I saw struts on eBay for $50 but they belonged to a 2010 model. Are those the same as the 2000 model? Any other ideas? Man, that hatch is too heavy to support on your head...:(
If you search this topic you'll find a bunch of threads over the years on this very topic. My "take" on them was that those who went for the cheaper aftermarket stays frequently complained that they were so powerful that they pulled up out of their hands and slammed up hard against full extension. One user even went so far as to say that he was now out that money, was about to order the factory OEM stays from Majestic and wished he'd just paid the premium price and gotten the right ones to begin with.

Within the past 2-3 weeks I took his advice, ordered the Honda stays from Majestic and now they're on my car and I'm very happy with them.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,920 Posts
No complaints about LiftSupportsDepot shocks either.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I had the originals on my citrus car regassed. In 2012. Still work fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts