Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hatchback will no longer stay open. I want to replace the arms, but the dealer charges as outrageous $88 each!

Has anyone replaced it with a non-dealer item? The guy at the auto part shop looked at it but wasn't sure about the connection on the door.

Does anyone have any information that would help me order the right part or am I stuck with the outrageous price for the dealer parts?

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
If the Insight shares the same part with another Honda then you may be
able to find an aftermarket version cheaper. Using the same link, you
could check other Honda vehicles as well then go to other stores and ask
for one for a Civic hatchback (for example). But sometimes, since it is
a low production vehicle, you will not be able to find any aftermarket
versions available and be forced to buy the Honda part. But finding a
new part at nearly half price isn't that bad.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I should mention, those rear hatch struts were one minor detail that was changed along the way. Somewhere in 01 they switched from the little ones to a much beefier one. Your hatch shock failure is not all that uncommon. So the new ones you buy will be much improved.

If your old ones are still in there, I'd suggest at least putting an old towel under each of them if not wrapping them because they could possibly begin leaking oil soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You

Thanks for everyone's input. It is very much appreciated!

I'm going to order the parts as suggested. I don't think it shares the same struts with any other vehicles so I would be hard pressed to find a non-Honda replacement.

Thanks once again.

Sky

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can buy them

The guy at Majestic Honda said they can't ship hatchback struts over state lines. Isn't that weird. Something about hazardous gases or something. I don't know.

So I'm back to square one. Anyone have other ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I think they are in Rhode Island and I am in New Hampshire (does not
touch the border) and I ordered mine from them (online) less than a
year ago. I would try to get someone else there to verify that statement.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
242 Posts
Re: Can buy them

nytesky said:
The guy at Majestic Honda said they can't ship hatchback struts over state lines. Isn't that weird. Something about hazardous gases or something. I don't know.

So I'm back to square one. Anyone have other ideas?
Well, how did they get them to Majestic Honda? They're probably not even made in this country, much less in your state! They must be able to ship them somehow... :?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well, how did they get them to Majestic Honda? They're probably not even made in this country, much less in your state! They must be able to ship them somehow
Majestic must have had recent trouble from shipping. I received the following email from them yesterday. Maybe they don't want to ship ANYTHING.

The battery is considered a non-shippable item, a hazzardous material. You can
obtain this item from your local dealership. Please let us know if there is
anything else we can do.

·
Registered
242 Posts
LoNOx 1 said:
Well, how did they get them to Majestic Honda? They're probably not even made in this country, much less in your state! They must be able to ship them somehow
Majestic must have had recent trouble from shipping. I received the following email from them yesterday. Maybe they don't want to ship ANYTHING.

[quote:2sqp0cbk]The battery is considered a non-shippable item, a hazzardous material. You can
obtain this item from your local dealership. Please let us know if there is
anything else we can do.
[/quote:2sqp0cbk]

That's funny. The last time I ordered a battery for the motorcycle, it shipped UPS (well, it is an AGM). I'm in VA, and the battery shipped from the midwest. Maybe homeland security is at work here.... :twisted:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Reguarding batteries sealed batteries (gel or AGM) can be shipped, but flooded batteries that would spill acid if tiped over are considered hazardous material and require a lot of special conditions in order to ship them, along with everyone who touches it along the way to be certified to handle them. The only way to easily ship a flooded battery is unactivated (no acid in it).

It doesn't matter anyways though, I emailed them and asked if they could get the Insight battery, they said no it was a civic battery replacment.

·
Registered
150 Posts
How about from Wisconsin??

Interesting, the salvager that I got my entire IMA system from shipped it from WI for $100 freight to GA.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Re: Can buy them

Well, how did they get them to Majestic Honda? They're probably not even made in this country, much less in your state! They must be able to ship them somehow... :?
Obviously they were shipped to Majestic under Federal and State laws. But Majestic is restricted to where they can now ship certain retail items.

Probably why you can't order oil between some states anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts