Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:

Does anyone have a trailer on their Insight? I'm thinking of attaching a trailer hitch and hauling a teardrop camper for vacations.

How does this affect the MPG? Do I need to modify anything on the car for light/medium hauling? Is there a hauling package for the Insight? How to I upgrade the engine for increased torque on hills/acceleration? Is there an IMA upgrade for pulling a load? Do I need to upgrade the tires and suspension after installing a hitch? What about the engine?

Thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
11,454 Posts
Search is your friend first, there are several threads on here about trailers/hitches IIRC.

Try both the search boxes in top left of page.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let me start off by saying that the Honda Insight hybrid with CVT is not rated for towing by the manufacture in any way.

Now lets clear a couple of things, first its not hauling its called towing... jesus...

Second. Your not going to be able to upgrade a 1.3 Liter engine to enhance towing capabilities. First of all there isnt so much as an intake out their for our cars, second of all... its a 1.3 Liter.

Third, Brakes and suspension would be fine as long as the campers tongue weight was not high... do a search on tongue weight.

Forth... your MPG would severly be affected. Provided you don't kill yourself or someone else when all that weight back their starts slinging your little car around, the 1.3 liter would have to work much harder pulling an extra amount of weight, an extra set of wheels, and an extra piece of equipment affecting aerodynamic drag. Our cars drop about 12 miles per gallon just increasing speed from 60 to 75, now factor in all that extra restrictions and omg.

Fifth, your car is a cvt, which means it would constantly be revving like crazy/depleting battery and going into force regen mode.

Now you could use the sport mode and lock it out in 7th (simulated) gear, but your rpm would be much higher, and any hill would kill the car.

End result, if you want a little mpg and a little towing, get a CR-V!

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is why I look stuff up

Duck Guy, it's when you get responses like this that really makes you feel welcomed here, huh? This is exactly why I try to look up my questions before posting. I believe this site is like reading a paper. There are certain sections you don't want to read, so you just don't read it. If there are questions or posts you don't like, don't read or respond to them. Oh well, that's just people. What can you do.
Btw - sorry I don't know the answer to your more than valid question. Wish I did.
Mike

·
Registered
4,008 Posts

·
3,641 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts