1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
51 Posts
that is pretty ballsy. I had a license plate frame made up with that expression and then gave it to another InsightCentral member as I didn't have the balls to drive around with it. Have you gotten any harsh comments from others? I was also going to put "MPGs not SUVs" on the back of my Insight with white letters but again chickened out.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Linky no worky on a Mac.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I totally agree with The Silver Streaker's sentiments, but around Dallas, it might be taking a chance. A couple of months ago, this monster Cadilliac Esclade pickup tried to keep me from entering the freeway. He did not have to block the entrance at all, and I accelerated to 75 mph to get on. His licence plate passing me by was "MF-4". So he is proud to be one {sigh}. Just drop all these boys in a wrestling rink or some other place where they belong.

I have considered taping a power cord out of the hatchback, but people already believe that myth.

·
Registered
47 Posts
?

so I know this will show how out of circuit I am but what is MF-4? I definitely won't add any comments about Texas since I've already seen how some people can react to certain sentiments.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I believe you can safely get away with the decal "My car sips petrol - Yours sucks!" in Canada and most of Europe but it might be risky in many parts of the U.S.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Re: ?

enders said:
so I know this will show how out of circuit I am but what is MF-4?
The MF part must stand for Mother******. His rude driving leaves little doubt that's what he meant. Bully=Man in his way of thinking. :roll:

I am not saying everybody or even most people that get large vehicles are like him, but it seems there are quite a few that seem to enjoy pushing people around on the highways. The Dallas area has plenty of them.

What I drive breaks the mold of a stereotypical Texan.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Whoah. Not very subtle! I wouldn't dream of it on my car. :shock:

Was thinking of "Insights sip...Hummers suck" or "Mothers drive SUVs" (which happens to be true) for a Tee shirts but didn't want to upset anyone.

·
Registered
90 Posts
IMO, this assumes that all other cars suck, which is clearly not true even though it makes for a nice pun.

I wanted to say something about fuel economy so I got a plate that reads GAS MIZR. And for those interested in learning more about the car, I put http://www.InsightCentral.net on the rear window - looks nice, and it's useful.

Some people think that I sell Insights, but I quickly correct them, saying I just love the car, and the site is non-commercial.

cheers,
Ron

my rear window:
http://www.ron.evolutions.ca/images/insightrear.jpg

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ecfool,

Where do you think I got the idea?! LOL...

I remember seeing your website, but I can't recall if I had already chosen the name prior to visiting your site. At any rate, great minds think alike, and great minds drive Insights!

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lethostigma said:
that is pretty ballsy. I had a license plate frame made up with that expression and then gave it to another InsightCentral member as I didn't have the balls to drive around with it. Have you gotten any harsh comments from others?
Thanks Lethostigma. I have done a quite a few miles now with my car signs and haven't had any trouble yet. I think people in the UK are becoming alot more sensitive about vehicle pollution / MPGs and do not take offence to the signs, especially when the 'yours sucks!' sign is justified by the 83MPG sign on the bumper. But I do quietly enjoy watching people roll up behind me at traffic lights and seeing them read the signs! :)

However I was expecting some ignorant neighbours or local teenagers to peel off the letters but that hasn't happened yet either. I agree with Delta Flyer & Guillermo that if I lived around Dallas (or any other part of America for that matter) I would not have taken the chance...

·
Registered
109 Posts
"PS Before anyone says anything, I know the '83MPG' is not straight....
Yeah, I know... 83MPG is a little low for anything except the dead of winter (in Chicago) unless you're really beating the hell out of the car.

I had 5 tanks in a row of gas that lasted over 1000 miles this summer, but now that we're down in the 20s (F) and driving with "winter blend" gasohol (less energy/gallon) I'm just barely breaking 900 miles a tank.

If you're really not getting 83MPG, check your thermostat. My MPG went through the roof once I got the 2nd replacement and have one that works.

Chisight
'00 Red 4453 AC 77.5LMPG 44K miles 0 recals.
I Expect to cross 83LMPG mid summer '04

·
Registered
35 Posts
There was an auction for an Insight a few months back on eBay. The top five highest bidders got a free bumper sticker that said "The most wasteful place you can be / Is all alone in your SUV" with a circle and slash across an SUV. I got one (!) but was too chicken to put it on.

I think it speaks well of Europeans -- or Londoners, at least -- that you haven't been keyed yet. You could not have pulled it off in certain parts of the US.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Chisight, very impresive mileage. :shock: How many bars show on your temperature guage? How do you know if your thermostat is the wrong heat range or jammed?

Thanks. Kip

·
Registered
48 Posts
Part of me digs the signage but, I would worry that flaunting the cars virtues might make people feel I was preaching to them about the excesses of their vehicles (a really hard thing not to do when you own an Insight). I like Ron's approach, offer a way for folks to learn about the car rather then perhaps come across as bragging in an ostentatious manner. Having said that though, a small sign indicating your current lifetime mpg could be seen as good natured bragging but would also be a really important and interesting bit of info that would be of genuine interest to passersby.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chisight's gas mileage!!

Chisight,

How are you set up to get such outstanding gas mileage?

What kind of route do you drive?

Are there any modifications that you have done on your car?

What kind of mileage were you getting with the defective thermostat?

I can get about 62-65 overall and closer to 70 if mainly highway driving.

On good days with just highway driving I can get over 70.

My tires are set at 41psi.

Anything else I can do to get better gas mileage?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Some other signs that may be good.

Your car sucks GAS

For the Psyco Christians "What would Jesus Drive"

"I save gas so you can waste it"

"Stop complaining about gas prices already, you bought the SUV dumb ***"

·
Registered
804 Posts
Since some large trucks are trying to run me off the road anyway, maybe I should go ahead and offend them. :twisted: Last week this large pickup truck tried to pass me on a one lane ramp off the freeway. He flew down the access road to get back on the freeway like there was no difference between the two. Wish I had something that would scrape the paint off of idiots that try that kind of nonsense.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts