Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many new 2019 Insights have you seen out there on the road?

Since I really seriously started looking at the new Insight, and finally fell so in love with it I had to purchase one, I've been looking for them out there in the wild. I drive a lot around NYC and NNJ, as well as Westchester up north to "weekend home land" where the wealthy go to escape the city. Lots of new style vehicles with various signature LED tail lights, running lights and LED headlights. It's all the rage now. But so far I have not seen any new Insights out there. Not one! And I don't understand why.

I think the new Insight looks better than 99% of the new-style sedans out there. And the exterior lights are awesome in design and style. It's a "prowler" look. Wild, but not evil. Very unique! Very complementary! I would have spotted them a mile away if I saw them, but so far none in a whole lot of traffic every day.

So, are we an exclusive group of proud owners? Is this car the best kept secret? Don't get me wrong, I like being the first to show off this cool car, but I would have thought someone else would have picked up on by now. I'm sure it will eventually catch on, but I was wondering what other 2019 owners have seen so far.

Phil

·
Registered
11 Posts
We got some here in LA! It took a while though, I only started seeing more than 1 Insight around November and now I see multiple ones on the road to/from work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a Clarity, with that unfortunate choice of rear fenders covering the tops of the rear tires. Thought about one of those for the 50 mile EV range and plug-in charging. Too big, and not as nicely styled as the Insight.

Well I'm glad it's starting to take off a little. I could see Cali being a big Insight state. I hope it starts taking off here. It would be nice to see Honda get there due for designing such a great car.

So it's Friday night and I decided to go crusin'. Got a few people checking out my ride. A Charger challenged me to a race, and I can't believe I left him behind. Then this Kia Optima tried to race me. I blew it away. Some of that was better driving skills, reading the road ahead and knowing how to get through traffic. But what surprised me was how well it did. Sport Mode, of course. This car CAN giddy up and slice through traffic. It handled very well. I had a ton of fun. Man, I love this car.

Phil

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
I drove my G1 Insight to Texas (from Nashville, TN) to stay with some friends the week after Christmas. I volunteered to drive myself and the host out to grab some food one evening, and he ended up driving us in his daughters car. Being as oblivious as humanly possible, we made our trip in a car that I assume to be a new accord or civic. The next day, I drove my car to grab some food, and pulled up to his house behind a brand new 3rd Gen Insight. They had other guests over that evening, so I walked in and asked "So, Who here is driving the 3rd gen Insight?" and they look to me like I'm an idiot. IT's a cool car, interior reminds me of a civic or accord :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had mine since September here in San Diego and I've only seen one! and I do a lot of driving. I'm not complaining, There's so many Civics and Accords out there it's nice to know I stand out, at least for now....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had mine since September here in San Diego and I've only seen one! and I do a lot of driving. I'm not complaining, There's so many Civics and Accords out there it's nice to know I stand out, at least for now....
I feel the same way. :D

But I do hope sales pick up and it's a successes. The G3 Insight deserves that credit.

Since I have been hanging around my local Honda dealer, they have not rolled one onto the showroom floor. That is sad. A nice white one on the floor would go a long way to introducing the new Insight to the market. Instead, they show all these [email protected]$$ SUV type gas hogs. Those, and maybe a loaded Accord. Once a sport Civic. No Insight! Foolish.

I guess most are followers, not leaders. I prefer the later, thank you.

Phil

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since I have been hanging around my local Honda dealer, they have not rolled one onto the showroom floor. That is sad. A nice white one on the floor would go a long way to introducing the new Insight to the market. Instead, they show all these [email protected]$$ SUV type gas hogs. Those, and maybe a loaded Accord. Once a sport Civic. No Insight! Foolish.
Phil
Along similar lines, Honda isn't including the Insight at the end of TV commercials where their full line-up is displayed. It may relate to current size of market, production plans, and projected sales. Honda estimated 2019 Insight refresh sales would be 24k to 29k in the first year, or ~10% the size of the Civic market. The year-to-date sales numbers for the Insight are within that expected range.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Agreed! My local dealer had one on the floor when I went in to buy a new Civic. It caught my eye, and the test drive sold me on it.

As I pulled in the driveway to work yesterday, I followed yet ANOTHER Insight into the parking lot. That makes 3 in one parking lot. It's got to be some kind of record for new Insights gathering in the wild. (grey EX, blue EX and my white EX)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've only seen one, in my neighborhood no less with the same color and trim. It's funny because I can spot them out and about in the area and I'm sure they do the same when they see me.

So, at least two on the road in the Columbus, Ohio area (I'm sure there is more).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still none in SE NY. I'm very surprised. Tons of Hondas, just no Insights! Maybe the weather has put sales on sedans off until spring???

Phil

·
Registered
5 Posts
Love my new Insights (yes, with a 's')

I was in the market last year to get a hybrid for my son and had heard and read up on Hyundai ionic so I went to the dealership but this dealership is notorious for playing games. After talking to me briefly the sales guys just vanished in the pretext of getting keys. I walked out after 20 mins of waiting and was aware there was a Honda dealership next to Hyundai's. I went in just to take a look at the civic and was surprised to see this gorgeous looking EX with a price tag that would put ionic and Prius to shame. Test drove it and absolutely loved the features. There were so many that even the sales guys were not fully aware of them. Read up on some features and test drove again with lane keep assist on. Was really impressed and bought one. Drove for couple of months and our whole family liked the ride so much that we sold our 2017 corolla and bought a white insight touring.
The ride is awesome, comparable to any luxury car out there. And features are all amazing. Just a little annoyed sometime when engine kicks in with accompanied vibration. So now we have 2.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was really impressed and bought one. Drove for couple of months and our whole family liked the ride so much that we sold our 2017 corolla and bought a white insight touring. [...] So now we have 2.
Ha, I love it! Owning two Insights is definitely a way to put more Insights on the road!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's cool...two new Insights in one family. I really love my Insight too. I wait all week to drive it on the weekends. We don't even have a real reason to drive it most weekends. We just love to go cruising in it. I can't wait to go to Florida in it.

Well I "thought" I saw some Insights a couple of times. They ended up being Accords. Then last night coming home I noticed some "prowling eyes" headlights behind me that had me thinking, "This could be it". I slowed down to let them pass me and it turned out to be a Civic. :(

Still NONE around NY/NJ...except mine, of course. Nothing but ever-increasing big [email protected]$$ SUV's that go slow and kick up a lot of road debris onto my new pristine Insight! The local car wash is making a fortune off of me. My baby gets a "full Monte" wash after every outing. :grin:

Phil :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts