Honda Insight Forum banner

81 - 100 of 142 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Indeed it is. You're going at it in two stages... one gets your car fixed and working well, so you can quit mucking with it

This frees you to pursue your grand plans at your leisure without it being tied/limited to needing the car operable.

Win win.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
I got two used Insight sticks!!! Yeah! Thank you Peter!

I am going to take my time and do a thorough analysis and reconditioning of the sticks. I will experiment and validate previously learned lessons.

I will do IR and SD testing and document the performance of each cell. Before and after reconditioning.

I will use one stick to detach and weld back-on a cell. And test the functioning again to make sure the new connection is reliable. I will take it to welding professionals to do that and also to hear what they have to say about welding batteries.

And then... it will be time for CELL REPLACEMENT! Very exciting stuff.

Until then... I am charging my plug-in hybrid! haha

P.S. Any advice or tips are very welcome!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
Self Discharge Insight sticks before treatment

Each line is a cell. The X-axis is in hours. One measurement was done every 12 hours after a full charge.

Interesting, isn't it?

Let's see if reconditioning will change anything in SD rate...

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
Cell 1.12 Self-Discharge

I did not move the car in 3 days and measured the SD of cell 1.12.
It is time I start planning cell replacement. This cell goes empty in 3 days. It dropped from 1,36V to 1,3V in 10 hours.

When I do use the car daily, it is a little better.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I dropped the car off at the dealer this morning for maintenance.
I asked him to print out the IMA data for me and he said that Honda does not allow them to give this info to customers! WTF!!??
So he hooked up the HDT and I took pics of the screen.

Anyway, total voltage 185V.
Modules ranging between 16,7 and 16,9V.
SOC was 74%. While the car showed full SOC.
But the usable capacity is 21%!
I noticed some partial recals lately. Just dropping 2 bars or so. Not full recals. This explains it.

Time for a new reconditioning and cell replacement.
Btw, cell 1.12 was charged during this reading.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
You need a new canbus enabled OBDIIC&C ;)
Yes I do!
How much Peter?

If I had it, I could monitor how much the tap voltages drop under load and it would give me a much better picture of my IMA performance.
Because this usable capacity number is definitely not the real usable capacity. If I reset the computer I am sure it will show higher.

·
Administrator
10,951 Posts
I'll make you a beta tester and send you one foc with a pic programmer in due course.
However it's on loan!!! We can negotiate a price later.
Be aware an OBDIIC&C is normally around $300.
You must be able/competent to upgrade the firmware as required..

E-mail me your full address etc...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
That 's great.

I got some good business going on right now.
In October I expect to get filthy rich.

If I get instructions, I can do anything.

BTW, I noticed that in the Honda HDT (at the dealer's), there is an option to limit assist. So, the car's computer already has this option. Right?

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Steve, why would the solder crack?
Is it because of thermal expansion stresses, or vibration?
Yes and Yes.

The weld is partially structural. It's conceivable that you could slather enough high-ductility solder on it to make it structural, but I would not count on it lasting.

I could be totally wrong all around, but that's what my gut tells me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Insight cells SD after treatment

There is a noticable improvement.
Only Cell 2.2 has some more SD than the rest after treatment.
Those two sticks are pretty good.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,951 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
What Peter said. Cell voltage deviation on that scale can have pretty serious impact on capacity.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
Experimentation with cell replacement has started!

Note: Working with metal tools and naked batteries is damn dangerous. I can confirm that!

Edit: With some practice, I am able to separate the cells quite neatly. So the grinded welds leave quite clean cuts. I tried soldering a cell, but that was not successful yet. I can't get the solder to stick to the metal. I guess I have to find the right soldering temperature. Also, the cells are very conductive and dissipate the heat of the soldering iron very quickly. Next attempt in a couple of days. I don't have much time for hobbies as I am very busy with work.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Soldering IMA cells

So, I after some practice I was able to achieve a decent soldering of a cell.
The iron temperature must be around 400 C for the solder to melt properly, quickly and bond to the metal.

The surface area and thickness of the solder is about double compared to the welds surface area. I put a lot of solder and then grinded it flat.

I can tell you, this is a strong connection. Still, I can apply a 2K structural adhesive on the still open edges, and then the structural bonding will be much superior to the spot welds.

Now the question is... how do I test the electrical conductivity of the connection?
I can not measure such a low resistance and I can not put a 100A load to measure the temperature. Logically, the resistance of the connection is now lower than the spot welds, and thus the temperature at 100A will be lower as well.

Pictures in google folder:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4RNujDTR9UCalRVOTVvUXRxYU0?usp=sharing

·
Administrator
10,951 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Unfortunately, I can't see Drive-stored files from my work computer.

However, the casings are likely a 400 series stainless steel, which doesn't have fantastic conductivity compared to things like copper. If you've doubled the surface area of the interface, you are likely fine.

Solder composition is typically a mix of Tin and Lead - both are comparable to the resistance of carbon steel (Tin is better, Lead is worse). Double the surface area, and you have a lower resistance than the original connection. It's likely in micro-Ohms.

So, after a bunch of words as I work through it in my head...

what Peter said. :)

81 - 100 of 142 Posts