Honda Insight Forum banner

141 - 146 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had good success so far with the hch2 pack I did for my 2007 no recals after 6 months low self discharge & functioning normally.The pack was from a wreck & had been sitting for about a year & took about 12 cycles till the capacity stopped improving with regenerative discharge hobby chargercycling .

I have been toying with the idea of active balancing on these packs to keep them good for longer finally bit the bullet & bought some active balancing modules from china..... gonna have a play on my g1 insight pack. These balancers are rated possibly up to 17v cell max so I will need 5 for my 20 insight pack sticks.They also have bluetooth so can display battery data on android & iphones.https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Newly-Active-Bluetooth-Battery-Equalizer-2V_62396683343.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.502e4948dEWUko

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
I've had good success so far with the hch2 pack I did for my 2007 no recals after 6 months low self discharge & functioning normally.The pack was from a wreck & had been sitting for about a year & took about 12 cycles till the capacity stopped improving with regenerative discharge hobby chargercycling .
12 cycles..? That's quite interesting.

I have been toying with the idea of active balancing on these packs to keep them good for longer finally bit the bullet & bought some active balancing modules from china..... gonna have a play on my g1 insight pack. These balancers are rated possibly up to 17v cell max so I will need 5 for my 20 insight pack sticks.They also have bluetooth so can display battery data on android & iphones.https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Newly-Active-Bluetooth-Battery-Equalizer-2V_62396683343.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.502e4948dEWUko
I never thought about that. Also very interesting. I would think that this could dramatically increase the life of the cells. Please keep us informed.
Do you want to do this per stick? Stick differences can be very small and still be a problem. You would have to do this on the cell level to be effective I think. You can have large imbalances in a stick and still have a very small resting voltage difference with other sticks.
Very interesting concept. How about the 100A current? Could that be a problem for the balancer?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
This morning I got the first positive recalibration. Time to act. I will have time to take the pack out of the car in about 2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,907 Posts
catadarius:
Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank You.
Willie

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
It has been about 7 months since my last reconditioning. I got my first negative recalibration yesterday. Not bad. Time for another reconditioning soon.
The performance of the pack the last 7 months has been very good. Quite consistent.
Actually, with the current condition of my pack it would make sense to use a grid charger.

141 - 146 of 146 Posts