Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I've owned a 2000 insight cvt for the past 8 years but have decided to purchase a hch2 as well looked at it today & it checked out as follows
The car is a 2007 cvt in gold with 108,000 km on the clock always garaged dealer serviced every 5000km in very tidy condition.
The car has been offered for sale following being towed to the dealer after the check engine light came on with the following fault codes: ABS 61-1 modulator IG low voltage
61-21 modulator low voltage
61-22 modulator control unit low voltage

EPS 12-01 motor power supply low voltage
11-02 control unit power low voltage

IMA p1435 charge discharge balance malfunction
p1570 battery individual module problem
p0A7F serious battery deterioration

Hydraulic booster 61 control unit low voltage
66 control unit stuck off

Dealer recomends new HV battery

The car is very attractively priced due to issues, I have a couple of spare HV batteries as possible replacements already & it looks like the accessory battery is mostly dead so would replace first then reset drive & see what fault codes come up.
Does anyone have any relevant experience ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I read through several threads here on the hch2 sticks & appreciate the vast body of experience I am somewhat discouraged by the problems detailed with the hch2 packs but proceeding anyway......we live in a temperate climate it never goes below freezing here & seldom over 30deg Celcius so hopefully I'll have better luck than some here.

Started charging a spare battery that's been sitting for a couple of months
Stick pair voltages varied between 14.63V & 15.3V Iv'e been charging stick pairs individually with a pulse charge setup that I use for recovering lead acid batteries To get the cells close.I use this setup as it charges gently without heating,& has almost zero chance of overcharging & works well on dendrite formation in the cells dropping internal resistance.Voltage climbed quite quickly so I assume capacity is reduced I have been stopping each charge at about 16.8V I have another 2 packs to check,like many here I have 2 packs for my insight which I swap fairly often its good to have options.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read through several threads here on the hch2 sticks & appreciate the vast body of experience I am somewhat discouraged by the problems detailed with the hch2 packs but proceeding anyway......we live in a temperate climate it never goes below freezing here & seldom over 30deg Celcius so hopefully I'll have better luck than some here.

Started charging a spare battery that's been sitting for a couple of months
Stick pair voltages varied between 14.63V & 15.3V Iv'e been charging stick pairs individually with a pulse charge setup that I use for recovering lead acid batteries To get the cells close.I use this setup as it charges gently without heating,& has almost zero chance of overcharging & works well on dendrite formation in the cells dropping internal resistance.Voltage climbed quite quickly so I assume capacity is reduced I have been stopping each charge at about 16.8V I have another 2 packs to check,like many here I have 2 packs for my insight which I swap fairly often its good to have options.

·
Administrator
10,819 Posts
If you can come up with a decent IMA pack from your tinkering and spare packs, then along with a new 12V battery most of those codes will probably go away when it's all installed.

My advice would be.

If you have spare HCH2 IMA packs then cycle them on the bench without disassembly several times and take them gently down to 0V on the discharge part of the cycle. (Keep them there for a few hours)
You will need a suitable low current 300-350ma HV supply for charging, cooling fan provision, and a 60w or less 240V bulb to discharge. This cheap equipment will give good results with some investment of your time if the packs are recoverable.

Charge 30-36hrs
Discharge with 60w bulb until 0V
Charge 30-36hrs
Discharge with 60w bulb until 0V
Charge 30-36hrs

Measure the tap voltages accurately (+/- 10mv or better) 2hrs after cycling and then again at weekly intervals for 2-3 weeks. Keep a spreadsheet.

Repeat with the other spare packs..

If one of your cycled packs keeps the taps in line too within <100mv (lower variation is better) over the above rest period then try it in the car.

2) If you already have the packs apart then do the same with each stick pair, but it will take you ten times longer unless you have multiple chargers/dischargers etc. :( It's easier to put it back together..

3) If neither pack is good enough on it's own try and match voltages from your stick selection and build a matched voltage pack..

4) You could embark on a long series of stick capacity, IR and load testing, but that gets incredibly tedious very quickly.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I now have a working pack back in the car with no codes.
cycled all the sticks with a turnigy reaktor 2 channel charger, all sticks read over 6000mah on charge discharge cycle.

Car is driving really well with good boost even on long hills & no noticeable self discharge when not driven for a week.Original battery was self discharging rather quickly & would regen after starting if left for more than a couple of days.
Battery does seem to take a while to regen after using a lot of assist though possible high stick IR/impedence? I stopped measuring the stick IR as my tester wouldn't display ir if voltage was over 15v not sure what normal is for this car.

Any recommendations for cheap power supplies to use for grid charging appreciated....I've read about using the led driver power supplies but I'm not sure which ones work in series after reading the constant current vs currrent limited problem in another thread .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just some details about the charging setup:
I used insight2 7 stick pair packs reconfigured to parallel as a power supply for the charger (charger is dc input & does not come with an adapter)& to accept a regenerative discharge from 2 stick pairs being discharged this worked really well, & meant that I was cycling the insight2 packs (alternating each parallel pack) at the same time.
Charging of the insight2 packs was from a 12v LA battery charger in pulse repair mode which charges the batteries to 16.8v max which is safe for this parallel configuration as the sticks are closely matched & top out at 17.6-17.8v
In this case charge ends well before sticks are full so no negative-delta v can occur in any of the sticks,this pulse mode also has a built in timer which ends the charge.

I found out the hard way using a 19v supply to charge one of the I2 parallel packs what can happen with nimh in parallel & why they are not generally recommended or used.....when 1 stick pair overcharged & shorted a cell the other sticks dumped their charge into it......the dud stick got hot enough to melt the heatshrink & stayed hot after disconnecting the power supply till I undid the busbar...... end result 1 damaged stick pair,the others were not damaged could have been worse could have started a fire.

Iv'e got some better Ideas now how (not?)to reuse the sticks safely for other purposes like my solar setup I think individual stick fuses are in order,but also looking at resistor networks, switching devices,individual controller boards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts