Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seing who has a running hch2 and can hook up a can bus reader to the imacan lines and capture some data for when the electric compressor is running. I can supply the inline harness that would plug inline with the ac compressor inverter with the can bus reader. Person would just have to hook up to laptop and get can data. Im looking for the data, packets, code for ac inverter to turn on and the code for variable speed.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Sloc,

There is a sea of data going back and forth on the can-busses. Finding what you need will be a time consuming process.

I spent some time on the HCH2's obdcan and imacan busses. Although the electric ac was not my main interest I found 2 messages related to it:

Canmessage 0x2AA towards the ac compressor inverter with a 16bit rpm request between 0 and 5000 in bytes 0 en 1

Canmessage 0x2D5 from the ac compressor inverter with a 16bit rpm report between 0 and 5000 in bytes 0 en 1

I labeled the messages:
0x2AA-0,1 'commanded ace rpm'
0x2D5-0,1 'reported ace rpm'

This is all I know. I believe there is another message for on/off-ing the inverter but was unable to identify that one yet

·
Administrator
14,166 Posts
This is some HCH2 IMA CAN data I must have captured a few years ago?
Rename pdf to zip and extract.

On/off means I must have turned the AC off/on/off or something during that recording so look for changes.

Sondairs 2AA & 2D5 give hints that the ID might start with 2 so look at those.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im guessing only way to possibly find this info would be an amp clamp around the compressor motor leads and possibly a timer and a go pro to record when power is applied. Only way would be with a running car. Ive got all the components like peters car on the bench with ecu, gauge cluster, complete ac controls with under dash ac harness, hch2 mcm/bcm, ac inverter, dc dc converter, and the igbt module. Only thing i dont have is ima motor, rotor position sensors, switchboard and battery itself.

Determining when the hch2 uses the electric ac would be a good designation of where to look also.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Sloc,

do you mean you are building an entire HCH2 car harness on your desk? That is sick... :)

Let's compact the typed text a bit:
ECU->Engine Control Unit (computer next to engine, controls engine and more )
CCU->Climate Control Unit (in dashboard unit with display and buttons on it, controls the amount of heating or cooling of the cabin based on outside and cabin temperature and user input)
BAC->Belt driven AC Compressor
EAC>Electric AC Compressor
EACSU->Electric AC Compressor Supply Unit (sends electricity to EAC build inside the BAC housing, and controls its rpm speed)

I monitored cars usage of BAC and EAC for quite some time now in my HCH2, and there are a couple of things that stop car from engaging EAC:
  • Outside temperature below 4C
  • Usage of wrong AC compressor oil. The EACs in our cars needs special electric AC compressor oil, because regular oil conducts electricity causing damage to the oil and electric motor windings. Before engaging EAC, EACSU measures conductivity between windings and compressor casing. With the wrong ac compressor oil there will be conductivity and EACSU won't engage EAC
  • AC control runs trough the ECU also, The ECU reads the AC circuit pressure sensor to verify there is still sufficient refrigerant in the AC circuit. When AC circuit pressure is too low, ECU prevents engaging BAC, and tells CCU or EACSU not to engage EAC as well (I don't know this message, but you must block it)
  • In the morning when you turn ignition on, car does not engage its EAC before the ICE is started. When ICE is started both start to run. Only after driving and warming up ICE when auto stop begins to work, cars begins to use its EAC only
  • In cold weather car pretty soon after using both BAC and EAC begins to use its EAC only

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have majority of components to a 2011 hch2. I dont prefer to set up whole system as im still missing quite a bit and probably wouldnt get the data im looking for. But i will mess with it to learn.

Goal of this project is to put the electric ac compressor inverter in my 2013 crz and have it run a toyota prius ac compressor. I want to have the canbed board i have be the device in the middle.
When i push the a/c botton on crz climate acontol the signal for the ac compressor clutch relay will go to my canbed board. The board will detect that input pin high and send out the can bus data on the imacan bus for the ac compressor inverter to turn on. My fan speed control pwm signal from crz will also go to an input pin of the canbed board and output the canbus info for compressor speed. Low fan speed will be low compressor speed 2000rpm? Max fan speed will be max compressor speed of 5000rpm. Then each speed inbetween will be incrimental to compressor speed.

This is only way i know how to implement the electric ac compressor inverter to my stock ac system and keep all of the built in safetys of the stock crz ac system. If pressure goes high it just turns off the inverter just as it would dissengage the ac clutch .

The only reasoning for the hch2 on the bench is i didnt tjink id find a can dump or anyone with a running car.

Ill admit i know very little on can bus, arduino, and excell. My thoughts once i figure out how to do the computer side of this is to hook my canbed board to just the ac inverter and see what it is outputting.
Then with power to it and a brushless motor input the can bus data from the info peter provided. See if i can get it to do anything.
That is my neanderthal aproach. Im a fab, welding, machining guy with ability to wire and read diagrams and schematics. Coding i struggle with. I cant make an led blink on arduino without a tutorial.

Along with this i have some arduino/canbed 2013 lithium bms fooling is like to try to get my lto pack in the car without tmreverting to the older nimh bms/mcm as peter did. 2 seperate projects but both involving same microcontroller and coding.
Been doing lots of reading posts and videos posted by peter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
good,

a nice exercise would be to grab 2 of those boards and connect the cans. Connect wires ground, can-high and can-low. The can-high and can-low wires need an 120ohm resistor in between, and don't swap them. Then go to the software part, download a can-example sketch.
Let 1 board send a can-message say every 1 sec. Then on the second see if you manage it to receive that message.
Plz note this is already an exercise of intermediate level

1 - 10 of 10 Posts