Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried one of these tools? They are available on sites like eBay and this one and offer 'cracked' versions of the Honda software to accompany the tool. If you take a look at their instructions for installing the software their example screen-shots actually show it connected to a 2010 Insight. Also note the "Electric Powertrain / IMA" button, I wonder what kind of info is in there?

This seems like it would be an interesting and possibly quite helpful tool to have in general and possibly open up some doors for more advanced modifications. Interestingly it also sounds like it could be used to program new keys and since the dealer quoted me nearly $400CAD for a new key (or $100 from the local locksmith with no remote unlock) and I'm down to one key, that would be great. Looks like you would also need to buy this code generator device to program keys though, raising the price a little. Has anyone used the code generator before? Keys with transponder and remote unlock can be had for $10 on eBay.

Thanks!! :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
I tried one, and it was DOA. Cost me $56 to ship it back - cheapest USPS service with a tracking no.

I would NOT count on the hardware/software combo to do any programming of any kind, but I would expect it to work for diagnostics including tap voltages of the HV battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm good to know. Did you get it replaced or just a refund?

There are a couple on Amazon and one on eBay that ships from the US. They are more expensive though.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Well, I've asked for a refund... :)

I have yet to see it, and they're trying to offer $15 for shipping. Ebay says they're responsible for return shipping. I'll accept $34 or so as I could have sent it standard USPS international to China, but I'll be damned if I'm shipping to China without tracking and insurance.

I've seen the U.S. based ones. I'm tempted to go that route more so than China.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Couldn't resist the urge... bought the ~$160 one from a California seller. 'course, I had to get get Z-tek USB 1.1 to RS232 adapter from China... :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey! That was the only one!

;) No worries, I'll just wait and see if yours works then get another one! Plus I want the dongle for programming keys.

There are RS232 adapters on eBay that ship from the states. Edit: none that are specifically "Z-tek" but they would likely work fine.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
I'm not taking any chances on the USB adapter. The Z-TEK is USB 1.1 only, and supposedly that's what it takes to get it to work with the HIM. When the Chinese sellers include an adapter, it's always a Z-TEK.

·
Administrator
10,719 Posts
I would NOT count on the hardware/software combo to do any programming of any kind, but I would expect it to work for diagnostics including tap voltages of the HV battery.
Tap voltages are not available with any tool on the insight or hch1 civic even with Honda stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
That may be the issue. Due to the shear magnitude of ****tiness, my focus is on the HCH2. I will of course try it out on the wife's Insight.

I"ll clearly find out. I'll post feedback here.

P.S. WTF was Honda thinking welding sticks together?... now that **** cell takes out two sticks... I have 57 bad subpacks... probably a dozen or so with a near perfect stick stuck to a turd.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For what it's worth, while trying to find some kind of manual for the HDS I did stumble across this pdf which states the following:

Honda said:
This appendix is for users of the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) software on a PC with the Honda Interface Module (HIM) and a computer that has a USB port, but does not have an RS-232 DB 9-pin male serial port. A USB-to-serial adapter may be used to communicate between the HIM and your computer. American Honda Motor Co., Inc. has tested these adapters:
  • Belkin F5U409 Portable USB-to-serial adapter
  • Micro Innovations USB to RS232 Serial Adapter
  • Coolgear USBG-232 USB-to-serial adapter
All these adapters are designed to work with
Microsoft Windows XP/2000 operating systems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
earlier version

I bought one way back and it worked fine for my insights 2001 and 2002.
Looking to get more recent version. Has anyone bought the HDS HIM from
Amazon? Its not clear on Amazon about activation?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Any more follow-up on these kits? Working?

Can it be used to for example do the clurch/PCM calibration procedures described in the service manual on page 14-142? I'd love to go through that to see if it wold eliminate the jerky start from stop...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well after not being convinced I could create new keys without the code generator, which went out of stock and I couldn't find anywhere else, I caved and got the local locksmith to make some keys.

I would still love to try play around with one of these devices but just can't bring myself to spend the $100+ on something that may or may not really do anything.

I am also very interested to know if anyone else has one and what kinds of things can be done with it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not so far

I decided to try the new version. Bought from eBay to odbtrade. Tried on two Xp computers and one Windows 7 following their install video. So far not working. Can't get much help from odbtrade. Feel that it shldnt be this hard but so far no luck. They want to remote in and check the computers but I don't hv a way to get that to work with the hds connected to the car.in the garage. Too far for wireless. So at an impasse at the moment. .:mad:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I decided to try the new version. Bought from eBay to odbtrade. Tried on two Xp computers and one Windows 7 following their install video. So far not working.
If you use USB-converter for HIM-adapter, then COM-port must be COM1 in system setting OS Windows.
In Russia use HIM-adapter for calibration, learning, view IMA parameters, programming keys and etc.
We use HIM-adapter for update firmware automobile, when Honda-dealer in region is missing.
Also the price of the firmware upgrade is very high at the dealer, because hybrids are not available in the country. (update firmware 45$, diagnosis 20$, calibration/learning 20-40$, for compare: price HIM - 100$)
Can upload video or photos of the installation process?
If you have questions, ask. I try to help.
I have a simple USB HDS-cable that use for almost all procedures with the exception of programming and update firmware. For programming/updates there are friends on the forum honda-hybrid.ru

·
Registered
20 Posts
Response

Thanks, I have experience with earlier version that worked. This version which was unlocked simply would not work. I tried loopback connectors and it wouldn't self test - so I knew it was defective. I finally setup Teamviewer and ODBTrade now believes me that its defective. They suggested I send it back for
repairs, which I said no way. I had spent hours setting this up and testing on 3 different computers, one of which worked on an earlier version. I did try a windows 7 PC with a USB to Com port cable. But I knew it wouldn't work since the loopback connectors didn't allow for self testing. So for now, they are sending me a replacement HIM and I am sending back the defective unit. So will see and I will update accordingly. Just for the record, my older version worked fine. So its a good piece of hardware and software and works very well, when it works. LOL. What was frustrating was trying to work with them and they were saying it was an installation problem when I provided the information of why it wouldn't work. I got to say, I saw your site, and was worried about getting screwed with my credit card/paypal. If I could go back, I would have tried your site instead. FYI

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Update

Current update. Company has sent a replacement unit. Hopefully that
will work. I am sending back the broken unit. So will see.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts