Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left headlight has blown twice in 8 months on my 2000 Insight. First time it was the Silver Star lamp, the second time it was an Auto Zone Special. Each light lasted about 80 hours.
Seems to me the lights ought to last longer.
Comments?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are you touching the bulbs when you replace them? The oils from your fingers will greatly reduce the life of the bulb.

I had a halogen spot light that I replaced the bulb in about once every 4 months until I figured out to change it using a paper towel so my fingers never touch the bulb. It's now been two years without blowing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.
Haven't gotten word of the headlight recall. I've replaced the switch in the stalk twice, though.
As far as touching the bulbs. . . I don't.

Jef

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Hmm, I've had three different bulbs in mine, the oem's in twice and in all those times haven't had a problem. I not settled on the silverstar bulbs and they've been there several months. Do you ever stall the car when it won't auto stop? I remember this being the reason for one person because if you stall it it kills the DC/DC and when it restarts the inrush surge in voltage will shorten bulb life. Also do you start the car before turning the head lights on? Turning them on before starting the car would create a similar situation.

Other guess would you possibly have any moisture in the headlight housing for some reason? My only other guess is your DC/DC might be working out of the spec'd voltage. Do you get any fluctuations in the intensity of the light?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts