Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the other day we noticed that one headlight lens had some fogging on the inside. When I called my local Honda service Dept. the Rep. said that that all they would do would be to turn on the headlights and dry it out. When I stated that I did not think that it was normal to get water in the headlight the rep said that it happens and that turning on the lights is the Honda factory recommendation.

We drive with our headlights on a fair amount of the time so this does not seem like a very efficient solution. Have any of the rest of you experienced this? I have seen corroded headlight sockets due to this problem (in other cars) and it seems to me that this is something that should not be occurring.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
That is not normal. You will have to get the inside dry to see if it is still leaking. Once the water is in there it will stay in there if your light is sealed properly. You will have to remove the bulb and try to dry it out. If it is just fogging it doesn't sound like that much moisture, so if the car was parked facing south on a sunny day with the bulb out it might dry out. Other than that you would have to get something absobant and lint free in there to absorb the water and then get it out again.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks again b1. I’ll give it a try 1 time before I go back to Honda. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I have the same problem on my Red CVT. I asked my local Honda dealership to dry it out. They told me that if water is inside the headlight then the seal on the headlight has gone and the only thing to do is replace the whole headlight unit.

I haven't replaced the headlight to date......

·
Registered
344 Posts
Headlight seal

I had the same problem on a Chevrolet truck. I removed the headlight. There wasn't anything visible to the naked eye. I CAREFULLY ran a very thin seal of clear silicone caulking around the seam between the clear lens and the back/reflector. It never leaked again. I did not get any on the clear part of the lens.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Oh bull!

The Citrus Smoothie said:
I have the same problem on my Red CVT. I asked my local Honda dealership to dry it out. They told me that if water is inside the headlight then the seal on the headlight has gone and the only thing to do is replace the whole headlight unit.
This is a common occurrance in the Pacific Northwest. My mechanic just told me to find the crack, and seal it with clear nail polish. The inside would then dry out.

Of course, this was with a car that didn't have halogens as our Insights do.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
This is what you get with this type of headlight. They aren't vacuum sealed or anything. Other cars have the same problems. Wait until the UVB layer starts peeling off your lens like mine did. Then you can watch as the plastic turns yellow and brittle. Not sure how much they are outside of warranty but they can't be cheap.

·
Registered
476 Posts
They're not cheap, but you can get them from parts yards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts