Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else that owns the Insight have the same problem? I tried using Meguiar's Plastx and there was little to no result. Haven't tried sandpaper headlight restoration yet... Might try 3M or Mother's or something with a drill attachment... But when feeling the headlight from the outside of the scratched area(s), it doesn't feel like it's on the outside. The passenger side headlight is the worse.
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
You and me both. Shame they havent come down that much in price in the aftermarket to just buy a NEW pair and replace them. I may pull the trigger and got the set of lamps with the LED inside it and clear side markers.

My odyssey is the same way. I spent a few hours with a no name kit and had them crystal clear. After a few months they are back cloudy. New lamps for my odyssey is like 160 bucks.

They say DEET bug repellent works better, but you have to keep redoing it every so often.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You and me both. Shame they havent come down that much in price in the aftermarket to just buy a NEW pair and replace them. I may pull the trigger and got the set of lamps with the LED inside it and clear side markers.

My odyssey is the same way. I spent a few hours with a no name kit and had them crystal clear. After a few months they are back cloudy. New lamps for my odyssey is like 160 bucks.

They say DEET bug repellent works better, but you have to keep redoing it every so often.
COBB are you back! i hear you had left the forum for good??

·
Registered
194 Posts

If you get the good old fashioned white toothpaste i've heard you can buff that for a while with a towel and it should help out. Than hit it with the plastic X after just for the hell of it.

In reality the cheapest route like you suggested is just getting a new set of headlights... they're fairly cheap online.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan on trying those 3M Headlight Restoration kit and see how that will go...

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Let me know too. I need to removed the bumper to replace my second pair of busted fog lamps and will remove them to give em a good sanding, scrubbing, buffing or dunk in acetone. :p

I use to spend 8 hours a week detailing my gen 2 and that included using my index finger to rub plastix into all lamp assemblies and red reflectors on the bumper. Ive since tried plastix and nothing. I have had better results just using spray wax or wd 40 in making them cleaner.

Headlights Headlamps Left Right Pair Set New for 10 11 Honda Insight | eBay

Depo 10 11 12 Honda Insight Black D2S Xenon Projector White LED DRL Headlight | eBay

·
Registered
831 Posts
Welcome back Cobb! Hope you're back to stay!:)

I was just in Florida visiting relatives and noticed that my brother in law's Rav4 and my sister in law's '09 Prius were both not shedding much light at night. Their headlights were in really rough shape and pretty amber looking in color. Couldn't see into the fixtures well enough to identify the light bulbs inside. I went to Walmart and decided to buy the Turtle Wax headlight restoring stuff for 9 bucks.

Last Sunday I got both cars in the shade next to each other, washed the 4 headlights really well, dried them and then followed directions, definitely not expecting much. I didn't have to use the scrubbing/sanding/polishing pads that were provided, and I wished I had taken before and after pictures. All 4 headlights ended up crystal clear. Way better than I expected for sure. The kit included two wipes that seal and then add UV protection.

I suggested they seek shaded parking when available and if not, to find north facing slots. Took all of 30 minutes from start to end of the procedure. At 9 bucks a pop, it's way cheaper than a new set of headlights. Even if you have to do this every year to keep em clear, it's 30 minutes well spent. We will see how long those lights stay clear in the very hot Florida sun.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Insight CVT 160K and 2010 Honda Insight 106K w/NAV
36 Posts
I tried using Meguiar's Plastx and there was little to no result.
I used Meguiar's Plastx with amazing results.... but not as instructed. I used a sponge buffer from a headlight buffing kit from Harbor Freight on an electric drill. I've seen the sponge attachments selling individually in places.

I plan on adding some spray sealer / UV protection soon

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Car Vehicle

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive lighting

Product Headgear Font Material property Art

·
Registered
504 Posts
Anyone else that owns the Insight have the same problem? I tried using Meguiar's Plastx and there was little to no result. Haven't tried sandpaper headlight restoration yet... Might try 3M or Mother's or something with a drill attachment... But when feeling the headlight from the outside of the scratched area(s), it doesn't feel like it's on the outside. The passenger side headlight is the worse.
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Tried everything no joy

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I used T cut and several other things , improvements yes but not permanent, try and source your Sylvania kit on this side of the pond- thank you
The Sylvania kit includes "activator" (probably some kind of solvent), three different grit wet sanding papers, polishing compound, and clear coat paint. I did mine a couple of years ago and they look like new. My car lives in a garage and hasn't been driven much due to COVID.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The Sylvania kit includes "activator" (probably some kind of solvent), three different grit wet sanding papers, polishing compound, and clear coat paint. I did mine a couple of years ago and they look like new. My car lives in a garage and hasn't been driven much due to COVID.
Mine is out in our damp Irish climate so that doesn’t help- thanks for the information

1 - 17 of 17 Posts