Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that my RHS headlight has developed a couple of areas of quite bad hazing, has anyone elso come accross this at all.

I pretty surprised that this has happened as the car is only 6 years old, would have expect better really.

I'm hoping it's civered under the extended Honda warranty, although I doubt it somehow.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Yes it it a problem, but not limited to the Insight.

The lenses are polycarbonate with a UV/chemical resistant "skin". There are a variety of polishes and protectants specifically made for these type headlights that restore and resist further deterioration. Check you local auto or discount store.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm not sure if it's the same problem, but my '96 civic's headlights misted over due to a small crack at the back of the fitting that let water in.

I cured it by covering the cluster and the area around it with cloths and left the light on full beam for an hour or so and the water evaporated out and it cleared.

Although it did come back after a couple of months, the same process worked again and it saved forking out for a new light cluster.

S;p

·
Registered
408 Posts
From the description, it sounds like sun damage. Our Insights headlights are doing the same thing. I've been a little wary of doing some wet sanding on our lights but if you find something that works, let us know.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have the same problem but only on my left headlamp.

·
Registered
685 Posts
As soon as I got the car I had ScotchGuard Paint Protection film put on. The die-cut set includes pieces covering the headlamps. It's been only a year so far - not enough time to see if this prevents hazing of the headlamp lenses.

But the film has already prevented a few nicks on the front end and on the doorsills (they had some extra film they applied to the sills for me). Pricey but worth it.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... ectionfilm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fix for headlight hazing

My '05 Insight has no problem yet, but my '98 Lexus SC300 headlamps need to be "polished" every 8 weeks or so. (They are both garage kept.) The products sold specifically for this problem are nothing more than ultra-mild abrasives, (like super-fine polishing compund). I've found that inexpensive Swirl Mark Remover by KIT ($4.99 in PepBoys) works just fine. Simply polish the lenses as if waxing them. Depending upon how "hazy" your headlamps are, it make take a few applications initially.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I may have found a solution- I grabbed this product down at Wal Mart and its called Crystal View http://www.crystalviewchemicals.com/ its not cheap...but I did one lens- and it seems to work well...I'm not sure how it will hold up but I will take a comparison picture when I get a spare moment..

Tim

·
Registered
61 Posts
Our Honda parts counter sold us "Plastic Headlight Cleaner" by TurboShine, Inc. ($10 for a tiny squirt bottle!) It worked OK, but nothing special. Just tried Googling and found dozens of headlight cleaner/polisher products listed.
-John

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forum ... php?t=8011

PlastX may be enough on it's own, but if the hazing is deep enough it may take more aggressive means. I've polished out many odd plastic pieces on cars since and all have continued to look good to this day. The most impressive one so far were pieces from a 1958 Corvette my dad has been restoring. He figured he'd be buying new replica plastics for everything which is quite expensive. I took them, sanded and polished the tail lights and all the instrument cluster lenses to near perfection so not only did it save us a bunch of cash, we have original 1958 plastic bits on the car and they look great!

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All sorted now chaps. Thanks for the advice.

I went do the 1500 grit wet&dry follwed by Plat-X route, I must say I am very impressed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
turtle wax polishing compound

i have a 2000 insight that had the headlight hazing

i was polishing it over the weekend with turtle wax compound
and i tried some on the headlights

it worked beautifully, took out the haze
and left the lights with a nice shine

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I suspect I'll have this to do all over again when the project arrive today.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The problem with polishing/sanding the headlights is that you remove the UV protective layer so they will haze up again fairly quickly. You need a product that will add the UV protection back in. I bought some Blue Magic Headlight Lens Sealer and it seems to be working so far.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The problem with polishing/sanding the headlights is that you remove the UV protective layer so they will haze up again fairly quickly. You need a product that will add the UV protection back in. I bought some Blue Magic Headlight Lens Sealer and it seems to be working so far.
Yep, that's something to be kept in mind.

I need to find a protectant that's available here in the UK.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
UV protection needed in the UK? ;-) We can dream

1 - 20 of 73 Posts