Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had three headlights :idea: burn out in less than a year. Two on one side, one on the other. One original light, and two Blue Xenon lights that had a lifetime warrantee. Wonder if anyone else has had the same problem :?: I also had a number of headlights burn out on my Civic. Is this a Honda problem :?: Is it me :( Is it normal :?:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The blue "xenon" bulbs as you call them never last. I've been there and tried that. The blue tinted bulbs burn out after less than 100 hours, less some times. Now as far as your origonal bulb could have just been a bad one, but it came out right? A regular headlight bulb should last around 650 hours. One thing I've noticed though is there is a slight voltage spike when the DC/DC first comes on, might not be a bad idea to turn the car on before you turn on the lights, same thing with an alternator. Thats why your radio and such shuts off when you crank a car over.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
higher wattage?

Could the blue bulbs be higher wattage than the stock ones? That will cause them to overheat, since the headlight housing is not designet to handle the extra power. The blue tinitng also causes them to overheat since it filters the red spectrum, turning it into heat at the glass surface rather than radiating it out onto the road.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have had 5 Hondas and never had a headlite burn out, knock on wood.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rick said:
One thing I've noticed though is there is a slight voltage spike when the DC/DC first comes on, might not be a bad idea to turn the car on before you turn on the lights I do turn the engine on before turning the lights on, however I just realized that at long red lights, or bumper to bumper traffic, where I sit for long periods and can't get the idle stop to engage, I will sometimes turn the ignition off and leave the lights on. I will stop doing that and see if my headlights last any longer.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Daytime Running Lights?

Do US (or any) Insights have DRLs? After reading about several close calls I thought I might consider running with the headlights on at all times for a little extra visibilty. I noticed in the brochure that there is a "Headlights On" reminder tone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to disagree with the message about Xeon Lights, I have been running my PIAA Super Plasma Gts for over a year, And Eurolights for 2 years prior to that. When you are installing them are u touching the Bulb at all?? One little finger print will definitley cut the life of your bulb in half if not more, be careful when u install

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sean W - in response to your question, I believe the Canadian Insights have DRLs. Heck, the European Insight's even have headlight leveling switches, those blank panels above your change holder hold the leveling controls on the Euro Insights.
I run my headlights on all the time. I figure with all the Ford Behemoths out there running around, ANYTHING I can easily do to be seen better is worth it!
My opinion on lights - if you want a decently white "name brand" bulb, try the Sylvania SilverStar (~$20 ea). I just had a headlight burn out (my first blown headlight after 4 different Hondas!) and I replaced both with the SilverStar's. I'm comfortable using them - the wattage is the same as the stock bulbs and they are a major name brand - no eBay "blue-light" specials (pun intended) - and the light is indeed "whiter" - not as bright of course as HIDs, but noticibly whiter light...and also not as "cheesy" looking as the purple tinted fake HID eBay specials.
Also, as Canuck2003 pointed out, absolutely DO NOT touch the glass part of the bulb when installing - the oil from your fingerprint will cut the life WAY down on your bulbs. If you do accidentally touch them, make sure you really wipe them clean, and also avoid banging them against the framework of the car or headlight assembly as much as possible when installing.
I hope some of this helps!
Jim

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim Holmgren said:
My opinion on lights - if you want a decently white "name brand" bulb, try the Sylvania SilverStar (~$20 ea). I just had a headlight burn out (my first blown headlight after 4 different Hondas!) and I replaced both with the SilverStar's. I'm comfortable using them - the wattage is the same as the stock bulbs and they are a major name brand. Also, as Canuck2003 pointed out, absolutely DO NOT touch the glass part of the bulb when installing - the oil from your fingerprint will cut the life WAY down on your bulbs. If you do accidentally touch them, make sure you really wipe them clean, and also avoid banging them against the framework of the car or headlight assembly as much as possible when installing.
I hope some of this helps!
Jim
I did make sure not to touch the bulb as per the instructions. Maybe it's just me. Actually, me and my wife. She's had a number of headlights burn out in her Excel. Guess it runs in the family :( I think I will give the "Silverstar" a try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts