Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took these pics awhile back and just now am getting around to posting them,

Iv owned two G-1 manuals now and BOTH had this same problem, what I found is that the routing of the high voltage cable is actually "draped" over the sharp corner of the trans mount,,, On both vehicles the corner had vibrated/worn through the orange tape and actually through the protective casing,,,

because the casing is so structurally thick from it's internal diameter and external diameter the high voltage wires did not get "involved" with the trans mount corner, but both vehicles also had under 200,000 miles so who knows what could have happened should things have continued,

To me this falls into the category of "highly unlikely" but it also falls into the category of "catastrophic failure" if it ever did wear through both the casing and the high voltage wire sheathing,,,

I could see it raising holy hell as in probably blowing out the inverter and all computer components at the same time, let alone maybe even starting a fire...

I have no idea if the CVT's have the same routing...

but - for what it's worth - takes about 5 seconds to check your vehicle,,, so im thinking time well spent,,,

first pic shows the damage to the protective casing, you cannot see how deep the little edge got into the outer casing but trust me the corner was buried through the outside and right at the inside diameter and "fretting away"

the second pic shows the route I took - I just filed off the edge of the mount, you can do that on the car or just install a cut piece of heater hose then tape in place or something for more protection, IF you find you have the same problem let us know - who knows maybe I stumbled across two freak cars...

Wood Automotive tire Gas Auto part Wire

Automotive tire Gas Composite material Bumper Auto part

·
Administrator
13,217 Posts
To me this falls into the category of "highly unlikely" but it also falls into the category of "catastrophic failure" if it ever did wear through both the casing and the high voltage wire sheathing,,,

I could see it raising holy hell as in probably blowing out the inverter and all computer components at the same time, let alone maybe even starting a fire...
Interesting and thanks for posting. Bit difficult to tell the extent of cable damage from your pic.

Even if one of the HV phase cables did short to the chassis it would not be a doomsday scenario.
The car can detect shorts or leakage to the chassis and shut down the IMA safely.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I did not know that --- sounds like it could still ruin a trip if someone did not know where the short was,

also sounds like honda has their own version of a GFI (ground fault interrupter) like what we have in our houses...

The pic is hard to see but with explanation you can actually see the damage,, forget about the orange tape missing in the back ground, Do you see that dark triangle corner right up front? that's a triangle made my the corner of the mount - fits right in and the "point" was to the inside of the casing...

again - highly unlikely but then again maybe not for extremely high mileage G-1's so worth checking....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks I did not know that --- sounds like it could still ruin a trip if someone did not know where the short was,

also sounds like honda has their own version of a GFI (ground fault interrupter) like what we have in our houses...

The pic is hard to see but with explanation you can actually see the damage,, forget about the orange tape missing in the back ground, Do you see that dark triangle corner right up front? that's a triangle made my the corner of the mount - fits right in and the "point" was to the inside of the casing...

again - highly unlikely but then again maybe not for extremely high mileage G-1's so worth checking....
Thanks very much for the heads up. I will take a look at mine. But also good to know there are some engineered safeguards.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for the heads up. I will take a look at mine. But also good to know there are some engineered safeguards.
Yeah let us know what you find good or bad, It is good to know that it would keep something like a massive short from occurring but still just the immediate spike load alone may not be a good thing for stuff like computers and such - same reason not to go arc welding on cars without unplugging the sensitive electronics first as you can blow stuff out first strike....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Greetings! Just checked my driver and noticed that it has two small brackets that hold the IMA cable approximately 1.25" away from the corner of the engine mount. Perhaps these brackets are not in use on your car. I will attach two pictures.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
255 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for checking --- I have both those mounts and they are not bent or anything, and it was on both cars,

you have tons of clearance - my cable does looked "drooped" in comparison to yours, just takes a downward turn after the cable mount and was resting right on the corner of the trans mount for some reason...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks for checking --- I have both those mounts and they are not bent or anything, and it was on both cars,

you have tons of clearance - my cable does looked "drooped" in comparison to yours, just takes a downward turn after the cable mount and was resting right on the corner of the trans mount for some reason...
It's good that you noticed it. It certainly could have worn through.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
I looked at some pics I have of mine - and the cable is well away from the mount, like CITRUS describes...

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
I looked at some pics I have of mine - and the cable is well away from the mount, like CITRUS describes...
Mine is as well, now, the intercooler piping is rubbing on it but. That will get fixed eventually.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,778 Posts
OP:
Is there the possibility transmission or clutch work has been done on your vehicles ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well thanks all, that's crazy as iv had two G-1's and they both had rubbing problems in this area,,, I thought for sure id get a reply or two back of "hey mine is connecting and billowing huge clouds of smoke in the area too... " lol

Balto the comment about the intercooler plumbing did not go unnoticed - nice touch lol

Have to say im kinda glad to hear the good news,,,
Willie I thought about that - like if they let stuff hang and dropped the high voltage cable and it never "bounced back" in fact I can tweak mine and make it look like the one in the pic Citrus posted, and then it goes back to about a half inch off the mount... of course that's better than normal - till the vibrations and time get to it again...

·
Linsight Designer
2,972 Posts
If both G1's you've owned had the same rubbing problem, is it possible they were both serviced by the same shop?

Here's my similar anecdote:
Until 2016, every G1 I'd ever worked on only had QTY3 bolts securing the IMA battery; the one closest to the passenger seat was always missing. I figured Honda had a reason for not including the fourth bolt. Then one day I mentioned this finding here on ic.net, and was immediately told by everyone that every car they'd ever worked on had QTY4 IMA bolts. So it turns out the Honda dealer in Austin only reinstalls those three bolts... I guess the fourth one is too hard to reinstall? Since I'd only been working on Austin cars, I fell victim to some other repairperson's incorrect reassembly process.

Maybe that's what's happened in your case? I don't see how the IMA three-phase cables could rub against anything anywhere on my cars, all the way up to the motor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts