Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into a bunch of stuff relating to cooling yesterday (not Insight related) but I got an idea. Lots of people have installed warm air mods on their car, which draw in warm air by sucking in the air from around the catalytic converter and/or header. These components carry hot gases which is eventually discharged from the tailpipe, essentially wasting that heat energy. For that reason it makes sense to scavenge as much of that heat energy into the intake as possible.

However, the system of simply drawing air from around the cat and/or header seems very inefficient because the amount of heat conducted by the pipe into the moving air is probrably small compared to the heat energy available within the pipes. Has anyone tried adding heat sinks to the header or cat to increase the amount of energy transfer, or perhaps even a bonafide heat exchanger somewhere on the exhaust system?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I believe there were some concerns about getting temperatures too high to the air filter assembly - it's all plastic, it may deform at elevated temps.

Also, what is the max inlet air temperature that the engine's computer can handle? Does it matter? I dunno.

Regards,

·
Registered
150 Posts
2 with one rock!

How about this for a whacked idea - - better battery cooling and hot air mod in one pipe!! Run a hose back to the battery compartment and suck the hot air from that area into the intake. You guys with the temp sensors in the battery compartment have been logging temps that seem to be the "ideal" for the intake temps the 'hot air mod' looks for right? More bang for the buck there, right? 8) Wonder if there would be any noise from the intake that one could hear thru the battery compartment ? Would WOT with the windows closed make your ears pop? :?

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Wayne, about that wacky idea
I was considering using the warmer air from the battery compartment for cabin heat/defrost :?: during the winter. Will have to log some more temp data during the winter commute. Only been driving since April this year. I see the moisture in ones breath as a problem. I prefer it a bit nippy, but hot/moist breath on the windshield.................hey theres a hot air mod :lol:

·
Registered
340 Posts
My Plan for this winter is similar to the person who put a conduit connector (I think) into the upper cat shield. I'm going to weld a tube on mine and connect some stainless scrubbers to the inside of the shield with some safety wire to use as "heat sinks". Some aircraft, for years, have used springs wrapped around the exhaust inside the heat muff to increase the heating area for cabin and carburetor heat.
robert

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
My Plan for this winter is similar to the person who put a conduit connector
(I think) into the upper cat shield.
That was my additional mod to an already proven warm air intake...
Although welding a pipe is a much better (and cleaner looking) solution.

Good idea!...If I have to replace my heat shield later on...I will do this
method instead.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts