Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.
When I got my Insight the previous owner let me know the heater didn’t seem to be working. I didn’t really bother with it, tried it on the way home and it seemed to work fine.

Now it seems that it will only blow lukewarm/cold air most of the time.

I’ve read a bunch of threads and tried a few things, so here are my observations.

The cable thing that switched the air from hot to cold appears to be moving and working correctly when changing the desired temp. I have it pushed all the way to 90 at the moment.

Sometimes the heater works, and it works REALLY WELL. Burning hot. Open my windows hot. This is usually when I don’t need it and it’s above 40 degrees outside.

Most of the time when I need it and it is under 30 degrees outside it does not work. Cold air comes out.

My IMA pack is very weak/failing. I have to grid charge it once a month to keep it going. I noticed that when the ima light and the check engine light are on, and it is in the mode where if you rev the engine over 4000ish RPMS the lights dim and the break light/battery lights turn on for a bit, the heater always works well. But if the ima is fully balanced or just triggered the ima light it doesn’t seem to work unless it’s warm outside.

NOW, these could all just be coincidences and I’m going crazy, but I thought I’d try to give as much info as I can.

It’s a 2003 manual transmission. Any ideas are appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
4,721 Posts
^ +1. You should also get something to monitor your actual coolant temps. The dash gauge doesn't do anything except to tell you when it's too late.

Sam

·
Registered
69 Posts
Engine coolant thermostat might be stuck open or opening too soon.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Is the coolant even at the correct level?

I once owned a Saturn that a had a heater that quit working if the fluid was down even a quarter inch from "Maximum!" In that state, if you stopped on an incline, nose uphill, you'd get all the heat you wanted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts