Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
well honda called back & said they would cover the cost of the heater assembly. i have to pay for the labour which is still $500 + taxes which sucks but i guess it's better than nothing. i had a closer look today & came to the conclusion that the shaft on one of the 2 doors that are supposed to swing is broken off inside the box & even though the linkage moves, nothing happens inside. it would be a nightmare to take the whole heater assembly out & apart for repair so i'm calling honda today to tell them to go ahead & order the part. crap! this should be the end of my heater problems so thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
that about sums it up. the door stays where it is & so the air is never directed over the heater core. honda canada is sticking by their opinion that offering the parts at no cost is as far as they can go. it's their opinion that anything related to the labour costs is up to the local dealer & he won't even discuss any kind of a break. i can't express how dissatisfied i am over this engineering nightmare. i say it's the equivalent of needing a spark plug & having to change out the entire engine. so far i've owned 3 civics, 1 accord, 2 crv's & right now there's the insight, a del sol in the driveway & a brand new crv in the garage. hell hath no fury like a faithful honda owner scorned! from this day forward you may refer to me as a faithful toyota customer. it's my only recourse. stop giving them my money. if it were a normal "wear & tear" item i'd just bite the proverbial bullet & hope for better luck. this is the type of problem & associated cost that we've all come to expect from domestic products. it's just "not honda". i've yet to face the humiliation of my co-workers whom i continually ridicule for their domestic "crap". a grand total of $1000.00 to repair a faulty plastic door. woe is me!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
So for us state side $500 labor + $0 parts ((+GST +PST) "sales" tax) = $1000 :!: :shock:

OUCH :!: And sorry to read about your misfortune. :(

It may be a faulty molded hinge pin _or_ somewhat more common is something dropped down in the center vent oullets. Depending on many specifics it can overstress the pin causing breakage. Kinda depends on how it "bounces" once its in there.

Repair is possible but the labor is giong to be a bit stiff. The dash has to come out. And while its not "technically" diffiicult is is intricate :!: Many wires, covered screws and specific sequences that must be followed.

Maybe price around with an independent Honda specialty shop :?:

Relatively straight forward to "fabricate" an off-the-shelf steel pin repair solution and save the $500 + cost of the part. *Better* than new :!:

HTH! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
actually i thought about taking the free part from them & installing it myself but it looks pretty daunting. i'm a control systems tech so working on electronics is not foreign to me but i'm no auto mechanic. plus, time is of the essence since colder mornings are upon us. i was including the $350 i already put out for the diagnosis in the $1000 rant.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
mbarr said:
i was including the $350 i already put out for the diagnosis in the $1000 rant.
I doubt Honda will "allow" that arrangement. :(

But $350 for diagnosis :?: :!: :!: :!: :shock: :x

There's no reason in the WORLD that they should / could have spent that much time, unless you pre authorized removal of the heater box for absolute confirmation. (your mistake :( )

I'd get Honda CA and other consumer protection orginizations involved if this stealership dosen't credit all but 1hr of this charge toward the repair :!: :!: :!: Get Honda CA to quote you the book time for dash removal (if that's what they really did).

Don't get ripped off :!:
(and if you've followed many of my posts I rarely "scream" thief unless its obviously so)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hmmm.

I'm curious as to HOW this could happen. Clearly the pin wasn't expected to be a failure item if it requires the entire unit it's attached to to be replaced (not saying it very well, but you know what I mean).

Could prior service involving removing the unit, perhaps an obstruction removed by brute force, etc. cause the failure? Would a now-resolved thermostat problem have weakened the part?

Any chance for a post-mortem on the replaced unit to investigate further? Assuming your Insight is the first to have this part fail doesn't mean it will be the last.

Also, I'm no mechanic, but I'm guessing this is a part that's in other cars.

·
Registered
53 Posts
heater inoperative?

My heater has the same cold-air only symptoms, but additionally, there are other electrical anomalies: The left turn signal blinks fast (bulbs check out ok) and when the car is shut off, the left t/s lights remain dimly lit outside, and on the dash annunciator location, before they finally auto-extinquish after a minute or so.
Any ideas? It sounds like wiring nightmares, oh dear.
Thanks for any suggestions, Berk

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: heater inoperative?

Difficult to say, although multiple _simultaneous_ failures if this type are often ground feedback problems. A ground has failed and other points are trying to take up the slack causing such symptoms. The fade to black that happens could only be common with the dome light circuit (it's the only one that incorporates this "function" in the car AFAIK). That's where I'd start looking.

This _requires_ the factory ETM and quite a bit of automotive electrical experience for a successful outcome. It can almost literally be the search for a needle in the haystack.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looking for heater help

I just got the bad news that my heater coil needs replacing, for which the dealer quotes $1,000. I wouldn't be so upset if I hadn't just replaced the IMA battery (I missed the extended warranty by eight weeks, but Honda still gave me $1,000 off after some pleading with customer service.) I'm in the Knoxville, Tennessee, area, and wondering if anyone knows a good independent repair shop that I might try for the heater repair. It can be pretty cold on the way to work in the morning, but I can't stomach another $1,000 for what should be a simple repair.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,041 Posts
Heater COIL? Do you mean "CORE".?

Willie

·
Administrator
13,789 Posts
Is it actually leaking coolant all over the place from inside the heater box? or just blowing cold air?

If it's not actually leaking then I doubt it needs replacing, the system possibly needs properly bleeding as per the manual.

·
Administrator
13,789 Posts

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,041 Posts
Only if whomever installed the coolant knew the proper "bleeding" of the cooling system.
A lot of the "dealers" are not very up to date on the G1 Insight.
Done by a dealer? Identify.
Any coolant under the heater, on the passenger floor well? any coolant on the firewall next to where the coolant lines enter the cabin area?
Did they change the coolant? or just added it.
You haven't mentioned a "coolant smell in the cabin. Any?
Need more details.
HTH
Willie

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, it was done by the Honda dealer in Morristown, Tennessee. No coolant leaks or coolant smell I can identify. I'll have to check with them Monday to see if they changed it and bled it properly. I doubt I'll get a straight answer, to be honest. The heater problem appeared immediately after this servicing, so I wonder.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.