Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cabin is filling up with water, but so far only when I park on an incline (rear of car lower than front of car)

Over the weekend it rained and I was finally able to catch the water trails before they dried up. (See attached photos)

Amyone have any ideas where the leak is occuring? I really need to stop it, Ive been stuffing towels under the carpet and switching them out as soon as they get waterlogged.

I also was parked on a level surface, and the rains didnt cause a leak, but I had a bunch of dirty water marks on the sidesills. Seems like water is flowing around the door seal, and out off the skirt sills. Not sure if this is normal flow. Anyone know?

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
8,848 Posts
Both sides! It looks like door seals to me, but leaks can be very illusive. JMO ;)

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Three possibilities, off the top of my head:

-underneath the roof garnishes, water rolls back in 'gutter' to the area above the upper rear corners of the doors and enters where typical 'wet seat belt' leaks happen (cracks/gaps in glued aluminum seams/joints).

-water drips down over the roof edge or gets wind-blown into the joint between door, main door seal/gasket is damaged and allows water to enter

-water hits windows, flows down into door, some weird path exists that allows water to leak onto the plastic inner-door panel lining and drip to the inside of the door panel and onto the door sill... Alternatively, similar path but the drains at the bottom of your doors are plugged-up - water pools in the doors and then can overflow into cabin.

I think I'd check those drains first anyway, and also check the rocker panel drains, where the front jack position locations are...

That 3rd pic makes me think it's the last possibility - down window, into door. That lower corner of your door panel looks like it has seen repeated water exposure, looks kind of dank and dirty...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll second the possibility of it leaking down the window and through the door panel. Just repaired it on my insight. There's a plastic sheet stuck in place with old caulk designed to direct water flow. The bottom of the sheet was peeling up and then the water is able to bypass the door seals.

It's really easy to check if that's the case, taking the door apart is very quick, Scott has a great video on his youtube channel. You'll likely see mold around where the plastic sheet was leaking, or clearly see the plastic detached. As always, you can pour a bucket of water to help test it and see the flow inside the door panel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you have water pooling beneath the carpet, another place to be concerned with is the foam underneath the rubber on the cabin side of the firewall. You should probably take out the seats and fold up the carpet after your repairs are done to clean up as much water as you can.

I experienced this issue on my 2000 insight. There is foam underneath where your feet go, and that will soak up water pooled on the floor. The foam is sandwiched in between a sheet of rubber and the floor & firewall, so if you don't do anything to remove the wet foam or the water from the foam, that water will probably stay in the car forever and then grow mold overtime.

The first 6-8" of foam was completely soaked and was in bad shape, so I just tore out as much as I could reach. There's not really a way to access the whole thing since it extends up behind the dash and is clearly assembled very early in the car. I felt okay tearing out the wet stuff and then propping up the rubber and running a fan on the remaining foam for a couple hours.

·
Super Moderator
1,944 Posts
Both eq1 and Th0mas are on the right track. The plastic sheet on the inside of a door is technically called a, “Water Shield”. Many years ago the water shields were made of tar paper. The water shield protects the inside of the the door panel and the electrical components from water.
Car doors themselves are not sealed from water and rain, they leak terribly, this is the reason car doors have drain holes in the bottom part of the door that drain outside the door to body seal.
When the water shield has been pulled loose to work on the door it is a very important operation to make sure it is resealed to the adhesive that is on the door shell. On an Insight door is is a white sticky adhesive.
Here is a picture of a door that has the interior trim removed and the water shield is exposed.

The next picture is of the water shield pulled up to expose drain holes, where I’ve added the arrows. The drain hole on the right is almost partially blocked.

These drain holes are located at the lowest points where the adhesive is. Water is supposed to pour through the door, hit the water shield and drain back through these holes. If the shield is not properly sealed along the bottom edge the water leaks into the back of the door trim panel and out the bottom seam between the door shell and trim panel into the cabin floor area of the car.

Last year I chased this problem on a customer car. The customer car had been worked on by others previously. It had a problem with the water shield not being sealed and someone had trimmed out part of the door trim panel for different stereo speakers. This can also add to the problem.

To diagnose the problem the door trim panel does need to come off. Once the panel is off you need to soak the door with water and see where it’s leaking. This may require an assistant.
In many cases the adhesive looses its stickyness. The product I use tow reseal this is from 3M, it’s called, “Strip Caulk”.

HTH,
Scott

·
Registered
42 Posts
3M Stip Caulk, or Dum Dum, has many uses!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all so much! So.... Its 100% the doors inner plastic lining. Sealant is almost like silly puddy, no adhesion. Plus the plastic is ripped in several locations, and not even contacting the door all along the bottom.

Both driver and passenger side door sheeting is damaged, with very clear dirt/water marks indicating those are also areas of leakage.

I was all set to simply reseal them today, I picked up 3m strip caulk at an automotive painting and body work supply place. Turns out I gotta get a hold of new plastic. Ill update thread with part numbers when I receive the new plastic and they are confirmed to work.

·
Super Moderator
1,944 Posts
You could just go to Home Depot and buy some heavy sheet plastic in the paint department and make your own using the old plastic as a template.

Scott

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You could just go to Home Depot and buy some heavy sheet plastic in the paint department and make your own using the old plastic as a template.

Scott
Good idea

What about the molded plastic center part of the sheeting, not worth keeping?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nvm...seems like the painters plastic (small 4mil roll) is the only option, all the part numbers for the oem door plastic are discontinued or not available anymore.

I just picked up some plastic from Home Depot, I'll be doing the repair tomorrow.

It was interesting to see first hand the design of the doors, Ive had door cards off on many vehicles over the years, and never paid attention to the little drains or water pathways before.

Thanks again Scott!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts