Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a ~300 mile roundtrip in one day on highways and mountain roads. I had two recals on the way up the hill. At least I think that's what they were, since I've never seen one before and only owned my car for about 4 months.

Anyway, the charge gauge dropped to nearly zero both times, then slowly came back up to full while the charge/assist meter stayed in the charge range even when I was climbing hills (made for some slow going at times). The first time, the IMA light came on and stayed on throughout the drive. This had me worried, as I've never seen this light come on before. But then, after I reached my destination and turned the car off, the IMA light did not come back on.

So, are these the usual symptoms of a "recal", and should I be concerned? Should I have the car looked at? Car has about 60k miles and had been parked in my garage for a week without being driven before this trip.

To finish the story, when I reached my destination, I suddenly realized one of my tires was flat. I don't know if it had been losing air the whole way, but I do know that this tire (right rear) has had a slow leak and I've been meaning to replace both rears because they're badly cracked on the sidewalls from age. I checked all the tires before the trip and even added air to the one that failed before I set off!!! So I installed the little spare (first time it was ever used) and drove home on that without further incident...

Guess I shouldn't procrastinate on replacing tires next time!

Thanks for listening!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
<replied inline>

Skimmer said:
Just returned from a ~300 mile roundtrip in one day on highways and mountain roads. I had two recals on the way up the hill. At least I think that's what they were, since I've never seen one before and only owned my car for about 4 months.

Anyway, the charge gauge dropped to nearly zero both times, then slowly came back up to full while the charge/assist meter stayed in the charge range even when I was climbing hills (made for some slow going at times).
Long hill climbing will deplete the IMA battery and a Forced Charge will occur. Its always best for long battery life to downshift when hill climbing to minimize IMA load, but balance this against needed speed. A recal will happen spontaneously without an IMA load to explain a _rapid_ fall of the SoC (IMA State 0f Charge). Usually from near full to near empty is just a few seconds. CVT owners will not experience this type of event.

Skimmer said:
The first time, the IMA light came on and stayed on throughout the drive. This had me worried, as I've never seen this light come on before. But then, after I reached my destination and turned the car off, the IMA light did not come back on.
If the RED IMA light has been on than a fault in the IMA system has been detected. There are several possibilities. The IMA system carries an 8/80k factor warranty so get it checked soon and please let us know the outcome.

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Agree w/ John. If you see the IMA light illuminate, get your Insight checked out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx guys. Can it wait until after the holidays? I need the car for another trip this weekend and probably can't get it into the dealer until late next week.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,875 Posts
Use the power of the engine more and save the IMA battery. I got an IMA light once basically under the same circumstances you talk about. (hills, higher gear, lower rpm) The trouble code indicated an "overheated battery". Light also went out as you indicated....... after the battery cooled down.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
I go up a 7% grade every day, It used to deplete mu battery almost on the way up, not I take it in 3rd gear, it works just fine, I have not had the battery below 3/4 on the way up, so don't be afraid to keep the engine revved up on hills, it's a small engine and will be OK.

I've also been up the Grapevine twice last month, and did not use up a lot of the battery, the insight has to be driven according to the terrain and your battery SOC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts