Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I just joined because i have been looking into getting a more fuel efficient car and was intruiged by the insight.
I currently have a small 4cyl toyota pick up but it has 4x4 and bigger tires so it gets only 21mpg. not bad compared to all the pig iron suv's but im looking for much better now.
So i have been reading about the insight and it seems like there hard to find?
What are the chances i could walk into a local so cal dealer and pick one up?
Also, what is the avg age of members on this forum?
just asking because i would guess insight owners are alittle older on avg?
im only 27.
The civic hb is also on my list possibly, but if i want the best mpg the insight is the way to go right?

·
Registered
466 Posts
yep, the insight 5-speed is the way to go. i'm getting about 75mpg on my commute, and 65.8 overall since i have owned the little beast. about 60 around town.

if all you need is a 2-seater, its the best car on the market for fuel economy.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Welcome to Insight Central. Yes, the Insight will be the best MPG car out there, and yes they are difficult to find. Try doing a search at autotrader.com and see what is available near you.

One thing you might consider since I see your in California. 05 and newer Insight's do not qualify for the yellow HOV lane decals, although several here have sent in the appliation and recieved them anyways.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Yes, i had noticed it was not elegible...rediculous.
and i also noticed people were getting them anyways...but with my luck id get denied...ughhh lol.

But the 06 prius and civic hb are a-ok for that?

What would be my best choice between those 3 cars?

id love the hov sticker.

if i was to buy new, couldent i just order from any honda dealer?
and if so, how long would it take, ive never had to place an order.

im 6'2" and about 225...will i fit ok?

·
Registered
323 Posts
You will fit fine in an Insight.
I waited 6 months, it all depends on when you order and when your area's allocation is, I am assuming Cali will get more allocated than where I live. The Insight Manual is no longer eligible for the tax credits, my dealer sent me about 5 articles about it when I was deciding on the CVT or Manual. The manual gets more miles per gallon, but the CVT has better emissions, it is a toss up overall.
As far as what car is right for you, you are going to need to decide that for yourself. Would you be happy in a car with no backseat and very little cargo room? Or would the Civic Hybrid be more feesable for you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may have to look more into the civic hb then, as id like a decent amont of cargo room.
How much does the insight have? less then a civic???

I rarely have more then one other person but having room for 4 could be handy...but not the end al be all i guess.

Would there be enough room for a week long get away for two people lets say?
What about 5 or 6 grocery bags?

Also, i wanted to ask....how are insurace costs for highbreads? and insights in praticular?
I have a spotless record.

If im going to get the civic hb would it be better to save the money and just get a corrolla or reg civic? they are only like 8mpg behind the hb one?

thanks for the answers everyone

·
Registered
89 Posts
some insurance companies give discounts to hybrid owners... just not in nj :(

the insight does have higher insurance because it's very difficult to repair and parts are hard to find... it's also aluminum which means things get replaced rather than repaired most of the time. it's also a 2 seater... so it gets lumped with sport coupes. i suspect that other hybrids aren't quite as high.... but are also less fun to drive and get worse mpg

also, on the average age of insighters, i'm 23... and i know there's people younger than me here. the cars a blast to drive

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Insurance for the Insight should be comparable to other new cars costing the same, but check with your insurer rates can vary dramatically.

Ages of Insight owners vary but the choice is more likely determined by the cost, and suitability of having a two seater. The style appeals to those who remember the pre-square era. It is tempting to consider that age confers wisdom, but I won't go there. ;)

There has been some debate as to whether hybrids pay back in terms of gas savings. If you get a good tax credit and put a lot of miles on I would say definately. If you change cars every couple of years, you probably have lots of discresionary cash anyway. Some people purchase hybrid cars for environmental reasons so saving gas is just a bonus.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've taken the Insight to Costco and gotten a few cases of water in there. I go grocery shopping every Sunday with it. We went away for 3 days, fit a big gym bag, a big suitcase and some other misc stuff. We could still see out the back. If you did not care about seeing out the window you could pack it pretty full.

I switched to Geico and my insurance (compared to Allstate) was HALF!! :shock:

I am 28yo and wanted the car since it came out. But I am all granola like that :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really like the idea of getting the car pool sticker, people in ca understand that more then others haha.
So im alittle scared if theres a chance i cant get one with the new insight.

The only sure things are the new civic hb and prius it seems.

I searched auto trader for new and used insights with any miles and any price within 50 miles of me....and 4 came back only...all used...these things are rare!!!
The insight says 66mpg on the honda site but you guys are getting 70-80+
the civic says 51mpg...so are you hb civic guys getting over 60?

Between the chb and the prius, what returns more real world mpg?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Bodhisattva said:
I really like the idea of getting the car pool sticker, people in ca understand that more then others haha.
So im alittle scared if theres a chance i cant get one with the new insight.

The only sure things are the new civic hb and prius it seems.

I searched auto trader for new and used insights with any miles and any price within 50 miles of me....and 4 came back only...all used...these things are rare!!!
The insight says 66mpg on the honda site but you guys are getting 70-80+
the civic says 51mpg...so are you hb civic guys getting over 60?

Between the chb and the prius, what returns more real world mpg?
Check out http://www.greenhybrid.com there are a lot of Civic Hybrid owners there, and Prius owners. You can get some more information on the other cars.

Insights are rare, I have seen 4 in the past 8 months.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If i get a insight, i will just order a new one from the dealer.

From the researchi have been doing, the insight is the only car that will pay for itself fairly fast...based of the crazy mpg i see is the norm on this board.
One guy got like 66mpg with his hch but most others were around 50.
so a corolla,civic or the new 11k yaris would still be better off.

I will continue researching lol.

I dont know if i like the center mounted dash on the yaris though?
but at about 11k and 40mpg....it would take most highbreads a loooooooong time to overcome the price off set. imho

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I believe that the Echo was known as the Yaris in Europe and Toyota has internationalised the name. Echo was always Toyota's mileage leader for non Hybrid. Honda has gone the other way. They took the Jazz which is their 3rd most popular car worldwide and renamed it the Fit for North America. Go figure. :roll: If you are checking out the Yaris, check out the Fit as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The insight is still my first choice.
Im going to go to a honda dealer and ask how long it would take to get one 8)

But im still looking into it all. id be sold if i knew 100% id get the carpool sticker.
why do the 2005-06 not qualify...did they get "worse" then the pre-05?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
And from several post in here the "first" thing that many Honda dealers try to do is talk you out of an Insight. :( Then make it sound like its too much trouble to get one. Walk out, get on the phone and find another. :badgrin:

If you want what _WE'VE_ got (and the MPG that goes with it :p ) stick to your guns :!: :D

HTH! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why do they try to discourage a person who wants an insight?

Do they make less on it? or is it to much trouble for them?

Id be like...do it or im out!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Well,

In fairness not _all_ Honda dealerships do.

And its probably more a symptom of a salesman needing to make his quota quickly. The Insight is such a low production model and with peoples expectations of instant gratification any discussion of having to wait is often a lost sale. Also those that can be coaxed to drool over the car of their dreams on the lot can usually be more easily coaxed out of more money.

If you want one their available.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Reguarding the HOV lane stickers, 2000 - 2004 Insight's qualify for them. 2005 and newer don't becasuse they don't have the Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle. This is the fed requirement that was set to allow certain vehicles HOV access if the state so choose. Basically the fact that older Insight's qualify and the newer ones wouldn't is just a little stipulation in the law.

If you want to make a statement, get an Insight. You'd be amazed what you can fit in one.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Profit margin on the Accord hybrid was rasor thin when it was first introduced. I believe it has gone up in price since.

Could you sell something you know nothing about? It takes a lot of time to understand the workings and economies of a hybrid. Sales people are not all environmentalists or techies, although I've found that many of them are willing to listen with interest about my experience with the Insight.

Though my salesman originally tried to discourage me, he was as keen as a kid in a candy store to have a ride once it was prepped and in my name! No one else at that dealership had ever ridden in one! He was converted. ;)

·
Registered
323 Posts
My salesman did not discourage me, but it was the same one I bought my Civic from and we had a pretty good relationship.

Last night we had to get something packed up to ship. We took it in the trunk of the civic to the packaging store. Once it was all boxed up, it would not fit in the Civic- Insight to the rescue 8) Opened the hatch, shoved it in, bungeed down the hatch door and off we were. Insight beats Civic, hehe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts