Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've finally decided what vehicle I should be getting, with gas prices and all, combined the absence of a need of a giant gas-guzzler SUV. However, there are roadblocks in the way of getting my Insight that I hope to overcome soon enough.

And... if I do own an Insight, I will be the second youngest owner. I'm 17 years old and I'm an up-and-coming hopeful to own one of the best technologically engineered vehicles on the planet... and one of the rarest too. Hopefully within the coming months my dream of owning such a beautiful vehicle will come true and I'll become a full fledged Insighter and hypermiler!

So... uh... hiya. XD

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
When I was 17, I was getting about 80 miles to the US gallon riding a motorcycle. Since I was the only one of my friends that had wheels, I never paid a cent for gas as someone always filled my tank as long as I did shuttle service. It didn't take an SUV or a Ferrari to impress the girls, and the lack of extra seating was in my mind a definite advantage. ;) I can tell you that the Insight is the closest thing I've experienced to the freedom I felt back then, and when I occasionally do fill up it always feels like I have a good buddy paying for at least half the gas. I enjoy driving a car that only a limited number can own and I like the way the Insight snaps around corners leaving more ponderous rides wobbling precariously on squealing rubber.

I hope it works out for you too.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Hitokage and welcome to the forums :!: :)

If you need any roadblock demolition advice feel free to ask in here. :!: ;)

b1shmu63 said:
When I was 17, I was getting about 80 miles to the US gallon riding a motorcycle.
Gas Hog :!: :p I had a Honda CL100 and was getting 90US MPG, but didn't have a clue as to how I was doing it. Could of exceeded 100 MPG if I had known how to try. ;)

Silll it was hard scraping up the .40/gal needed back then. It could hold 2.5ish gal, over a dollars worth. :shock: ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess the only two current roadblocks are superficial. The first and foremost issue is my age. With it, I am completely and totally blocked from any and all legal mumbo jumbo, including signing contracts for loans. Without help from my parents (gotta love credit, huh? :p), I'm not going to be able to take the loan myself until I'm 18.

And when is that? End of July. The suspense is killing me already and it's only the 9th of June.

The second is simply the fact that I am completely at a loss for a name for the Insight I'll be purchasing, I'm looking at the moment for a semi-high miles (50-80k) CVT, as I'm completely incapable of driving a MT. Those wonderfully cheaper school lessons don't have room for manual, just an automatic. Glad the CVT is a step up from it, in any case. :p

I guess I tend to ramble, anyhoo, I'll be trying my best in the coming months to secure this beautiful car, here's to getting it before the end of summer and the start of college. XD

Edit: Err. Perhaps I will be the youngest? I remember seeing a news report about a 16-year-old Honda Insight racer... though I can't seem to find it now. Odd.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hitokage said:
Edit: Err. Perhaps I will be the youngest? I remember seeing a news report about a 16-year-old Honda Insight racer... though I can't seem to find it now. Odd.
Nope IIRC you are correct there is a 16yo Insighter. But he didn't prominently advertise the fact. Its not directly posted, only an incidental reference.

Sorry, AFAIK you will only be the second oldest Insighter. :p ;)

A 5 speed Insight will be harder to find than learn to drive. Don't let your youthful inexperience deter you should a good 5 speed become available :!:

Happy Hunting :!:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Insightful Trekker said:
A 5 speed Insight will be harder to find than learn to drive. Don't let your youthful inexperience deter you should a good 5 speed become available :!:
I had indeed found a manual transmission Insight in downtown Boise, $9,300, but it had a salvaged title, because it was hit in the driver's side and the door was replaced. The work says "reconstructed title" but it was given a salvage. Odd. A plus about it though was that the IMA system was recently replaced. Only 43,500 miles too.

I test drove it.. and promptly stalled it once I got behind the wheel. Perhaps I'm not cut out for MT. :p

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Back here in TN reconstructed = salvage. Such "legal" defintions vary from state to state. AFAIK in any case all warranties will be voided (including the 10/150K IMA Battery extension), but with new ones already I can't see it as a point of contention. But you should get it thoroughly checked out by your local trusted mechanic for correct / completeness of the repairs and any other pending needed maintence / repairs (e.g. brakes etc.).

Hitokage said:
I test drove it.. and promptly stalled it once I got behind the wheel. Perhaps I'm not cut out for MT. :p
Well, if you were to somehow magically been able to drive an MT out of the box AFAIK that would be a "first" for any make or model. ;) Simply takes a bit of practice and guidance from somewhone who already knows how to drive one. The "tricky" part comes when your first learning to drive and you don't have the feel for keeping it between the ditches. Add shifting gears on top of that and :oops: <crunch> :!: :shock:

The game gauge (MPG Meter) can have a similar effect too.

Be careful out there :!: :)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Insightful Trekker said:
But you should get it thoroughly checked out by your local trusted mechanic for correct / completeness of the repairs and any other pending needed maintence / repairs (e.g. brakes etc.).
Well, that time has come and passed sadly, the guy sold it about a month ago, I was more interested in the CVT simply because it was a smooth and quiet ride. I am interested in high MPG, but I'd rather have time to focus on my own driving skills rather than worrying about stalling the thing and faceplanting on the steering wheel (not a fun venture at any rate!).

My father had deemed it necessary I learn MT awhile back, he took me out in his Porsche 914... the clutch was so stiff by the end my leg was aching. I just don't have the patience required to learn MT, for AT, it was just, get in, set it in gear, go. MT, it's a constant balancing act between stalling the car by forgetting what the heck you were doing and keeping it running.

Putting it into neutral at every stop light just to activate the idle-stop would be a bit of a chore for me, I usually end up getting into the music I'm listening to (not loudly, of course, I'm courteous.. moreso than the psychos with giant subwoofers... and flickering brake lights.) and trying to concentrate on what others are doing.

I haven't gotten into an accident yet, thankfully, but I've had a few closecalls, most not my fault, a few mine simply because I wasn't paying attention... enough. Stop-go traffic is the norm where I commute a lot, because I drive from the suburbs all the way to the city, which is about 40-50 miles. Sadly, I'll be looking for a job soon (contract ends on the 30th) so I can work and go to college and pay it all off at once. Hope my Insight doesn't cost me more than $300-400 a month. :p

By the way, what worried me most about manual is hills, I have a huge one I have to drive up when heading home from work and with my luck, traffic is usually stopped right at the top of it, enough for me to be leaning over the edge. I can just hear the crunch of my rear-end as I slip down into someone behind me. Ouch.

·
Registered
495 Posts
... I am completely at a loss for a name for the Insight I'll be purchasing,
You might want to try what I did when it came to naming my boat.
Get a pad and pencil and as the thought of a name comes to mind, write it down, and keep adding to the list as the names arise or come to mind. Eventually you'll have a lengthy list which you can go over and over and rank the names as they strike you. Eventually "THE" name will stand out.

Best of luck with that "new" Insight. Odds are you'll really like it.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
685 Posts
The name for mine came from here: "Little Beast". Someone was referring to his Insight as a little beast and I thought that was appropriate.

A few suggestions for safety:
(1) Don't even think of who's at fault. People WILL make mistakes and you need to ensure that someone else's mistake does not become a problem for YOU. So try to watch for other people's mistakes and, better yet, anticipate typical mistakes and take steps in advance to leave leeway for them to make those mistakes. When there is a close call, try to think what you could have done to prevent it and then do that in the future. For a fun and happy life, your goal is to have ZERO accidents, period, no matter who's at fault.
(2) Lay off the radio for a while. You're busy enough without it. Even after years of driving I find that it DOES distract me a bit, and it also reduces my mpg significantly.

As far as learning an MT, I learned by just moving our cars around the driveway to wash them (my job as a kid). That helps teach you the clutch engagement point without thinking about upshifting, which is Phase 2. Downshifting and starting on an uphill would be Phases 3 and 4. When shifting either way, don't rush it, and pause just a fraction of a sec in neutral between gears.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
red1dr said:
(2) Lay off the radio for a while. You're busy enough without it. Even after years of driving I find that it DOES distract me a bit, and it also reduces my mpg significantly.
Well, I honestly hate the radio, no choice in music. I actually found a car stereo that accepts SD cards, so I'm simply going to dump all my music from my mp3 player onto it (I've been using a cassette to audio jack adapter... and with my luck, it's starting to fray inside.), but I think I found the real source of my distractions.

Most of the time when I'm driving, I'm keeping a look out for hybrids, seeing Prius's every single day, used to see one Insight or two if I was extremely lucky. Civic and Accord Hybrids are quite rare. Once I get the Insight, I should be able to minimize that distraction. XD

Fred, I've had a single name come up, but I've never had any use for it, though it doesn't seem too fitting for a vehicle, sounds more like the name of a space shuttle or something. Didorus. I like it, but not sure if a vehicle should be named that. Never had much experience in doing so.

At the moment, I own a 1989 Mercury Topaz, symbol of frugality and pain, black in the middle of summer with no A/C. Haven't had much reason to name a vehicle I despise with all my being. :p

I will take that advice though on the names, probably try and think of them while at work.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Just a suggestion here. Since it seems money is likely to be an issue for you (it sure was for me when I was your age), and you don't yet know how to drive a manual transmission, why not postpone the Insight for a bit? Buy a older Civic, or maybe a CRX, that you can pay cash for. Learn on that car (since the Insight MT isn't the easiest to learn on), then when you're confident start looking for an Insight. That way you can take your time, and wait for a good deal to come along.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, to be honest, I'm not really sure if I even want a manual to begin with. I've driven automatics and CVTs for quite some time now, I can drive a manual, but reliably I cannot. It's more of a chore to drive an MT than the CVT Insight and I'd prefer just to focus on the fuel efficient driving techniques rather than worry about lean-burn.

I've always been a tech-minded person, especially concerning computers (my future field that I hope to be in, as I already hold an IT job) and CVT is simply to me the next step in automatic transmission, a great step, considering they nearly eliminated the difference between manual and automatic now. If the MT Insight didn't have lean-burn, I'm almost sure that it'd get nearly the same mileage as the CVT.

I had thought about sitting around with an older Civic or something of the like, but at the moment, I don't really have horrible-ish money problems. I'm already getting more jobs that pay $10-15 an hour and I still live at home and go to college. With that, I can easily pay off a $200-400 car payment, $100 insurance or so and then $30-50 for gas every month. I know I haven't included repairs, but that'll work into it. I've got about $2,000 right now, by mid-July I should have over $3,000.

It's not a bad start, I'm trying as hard as I can, I set a personal goal of attaining this car by year's end, and hopefully by the end of the summer. I'd definitely like a big step up from the A/C-less black Mercury Topaz with malfunctioning windows... I hope that's not too... selfish. >.o

Edit: Ah, the A/C is actually broken, but I've found someone who wants to junk it for a race car. I can take all the electrical equipment out of it and sell that along with the vehicle itself. Perhaps make $1,000-1,500 out of it, kind of doubt it though, but never hurts to try!

·
Registered
495 Posts
... I've had a single name come up, but I've never had any use for it, though it doesn't seem too fitting for a vehicle, sounds more like the name of a space shuttle or something. Didorus. I like it, ..
That YOU like it is what counts - it'll be your car.

As for that MT vs CVT "argument" your having with yourself, I learned to drive in a friends five speed Alpha Romeo and my first car was an Austin Healy Sprite, a four speed "puddle jumper" :) As for MT vs an automatic, some folks just don't have the knack for hand, eye, foot co-ordination that others do, it's just the way it is but from the sound of it, odds are you just don't have the time and experience in an MT vehicle to really make up your mind. In that regard, the only real difference as I see it regarding the Insight MT vs an Insight CVT is that the MT has fewer parts (as Bullock pointed out recently) but if you're patient and stay alert when driving a CVT version, while you may not match the MPG of an Insight MT, there will be times, lots of them when you will come close, which is to say, one heck of a lot better than those people with Jeeps or worse, Hummers or the like.

Hope this helps.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fred said:
[...] odds are you just don't have the time and experience in an MT vehicle to really make up your mind.
My first couple of lessons using MT were less than spectacular. I probably don't have the patience for it to be truthful. I have the hand-eye coordination, but I prefer when I drive to not be fiddling with the gears or something else. Trying to shift and drive at the same time (for me) is darn close to talking on a cell phone or fiddling with the stereo. It's a distraction and goodness knows I have enough distractions already. :p

I'm a computer geek and a hardcore gamer, I don't lack the coordination, I just simply wish to alleviate as many distractions as possible to focus on the two important things, driving safely and getting the MPG gauge to rise.

I think I will name it Didorus, it'll fit on the license plate too, hope no one took it. XD

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
james said:
Yes, you really do want a manual :) You may not think so now, but it's like riding a bike. It takes some learning, but once you learn, you don't have to think about it. Automatics should be regarded as what they are, adaptive technology for the disabled.
Well, that's a somewhat biased view. Some people just enjoy the simple put in gear and drive, rather than having to constantly have your mind on another thing, worrying about the gears.

Honestly, what bothers me is that Idaho is a bit hilly in places and I drive a lot up and down those hills... I'd really like to not slide down those hills... and into the car behind me.

I simply feel more comfortable and able driving an automatic and with the CVT, it's a seamless, smooth and quiet ride compared to the shuddering between gears (it's there, regardless of how good anyone is at shifting) and the needless roar of the engine when passing 3-4k RPMs. Five minutes in a Porsche 914 (mid-engine car) is enough to prove that to me.

And no, I'm not disabled, I'd rather focus on my driving safety than have to worry whether I stall the car or worse, let it slide backward into someone else. Those needless distractions are honestly worth the effort of trying to drive more efficiently. My fuel efficiency is a huge part of how I drive, but my safety is paramount. I'd like to live and get 30-40 MPG than barely make it out alive for 60-70 MPG. :p

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
james said:
Yes, you really do want a manual :) You may not think so now, but it's like riding a bike. It takes some learning, but once you learn, you don't have to think about it. Automatics should be regarded as what they are, adaptive technology for the disabled.
Come on James, There are many people that know how to drive a manual transmission but yet opt for an automatic transmission. I am one of them. I am glad I choose the CVT model after driving manual transmission cars for over 20 continuous years. It still exceeds the gas mileage of most cars and has a better level of emmissions than the manual Insight. CVT is Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle (SULEV) and the manual is ONLY an Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle (ULEV) just like many of the cars on the road today. I also believe that the CVT provides better battery management.

My point is, let the potential buyers learn the differences between the two models and then they can choose the one that fits their lifestyle or needs.

Both models are great for what they are capable of.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think what the first person who mentioned manual trans was trying to say is if you come across a good deal on one don't rule it out just because it's a 5 speed.

The Insight I just bought is a manual, so I'm learning. It's not that hard, but I totally understand where you're coming from. I know I wouldn't want to try to tackle learning to drive a stick while still being pretty new at driving (and new to hybrids), especially with hills if I didn't have to.

I think the name you picked is nice. The names for my hybrids (Civic = Fuel Shy and Insight = Fuel Phobic) won't fit on license plates.

Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
IMAhybrid said:
I think what the first person who mentioned manual trans was trying to say is if you come across a good deal on one don't rule it out just because it's a 5 speed.
I won't rule it out, but I definitely am hoping for a CVT. I'm looking at 4 of them now, just hope none of them disappear before I can indeed get the financing for them...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.