Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I have owned Gen 1 Insights on and off since 2003, I have a 2005 which is 'my car' and commuter weapon. My wife and I recently bought a puppy and had to change my wife's car from her saloon/sedan Civic Hybrid II to one with a hatchback to carry the dog. The other criteria was that the car had to have 5 decent seats, be an automatic (for the wife), be economical and for a budget of less than £7000. Apart from city cars (that were too small) it was only really the Gen 2 Honda Insights that fitted the bill, so we are now a two Insight household! We bought a grey Honda Approved 2011 ES before Christmas and it is great. After a few weeks, I have four queries that I need help with and couldn't find the specific answers by searching the forum...

Has anyone tried to install / activate the DRLs on the pre-facelift Insights by putting a fuse into slot 41? Does the wiring already exist (in a standardised manufacturing way)?

Her old Civic Hybrid parking sensors used to loudly screech when reverse was engaged. Whilst I don't want to return to that, the Insight parking sensor beeps are very quiet - is there a way of turning up the volume?

The rear wiper seems very short and does not cover much of the rear hatch. I have checked and my rear wiper is only 16" long, is this normal? It looks as though this could be swapped for at least 20", perhaps 21". Has anyone done this?

Finally, what the hell is that net on the lower part of the rear hatch for?!? :)

Thanks
Christian

·
Registered
943 Posts
The rear wiper arms were clearly a bit of an afterthought. The heating elements don't go far enough up the screen to melt the ice when the wiper is stuck to the screen.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Yup, clear all 3 wipers of snow or ice before you drive, so they last beyond this winter. Had to this morning :) 2 inches of snow with a topping of glazed ice rain. Like a frozen tompouce.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. I am definitely going to upgrade the rear wiper to 20". I will also optimistically put a fuse in slot 41 on the off-chance that the DRLs are there but not activated and let you know what happens.

Anybody able to answer my other queries on the parking sensor volume and why there is a net on the back screen?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Parking sensor volume - lets put it this way, I got a quote to fix my rear end damage for € 1400, did not have it fixed (duh) and put additional damage on since then.
Yes, I'm clumsy and had back luck of all sorts. But the beep could be louder.
Passengers in the rear disagree though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts