Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I hope some members are able to help me. Brief History: I purchased my ZE1 about 9 years ago, ima battery probably on the way out. Gave quite a few years of OK driving, but the ima battery started to fade. I bought a hybrid-automotive sc3.0 grid charger and this gave new life to the old ima battery pack for a couple more years, I was using the grid charger once every two weeks or so. Unfortunately about a year ago, plugged in the charger and it read 180volts, 0amps. I charged up some spare battery sticks that I have (used) and hoped for the best. But even after changing them over, still getting 180volts, 0amps on the grid charger. Recently, I checked the continuity of the 4 wires from the grid charger and found that the red lead had a break (solder break) at the terminal (the terminal in the car, not in the charger unit). The red lead is the 'difficult' one to get to on the ima battery pack, down low in the center of the car. But after resoldering, still no change. Have I damaged the charger by plugging it in when the red lead was broken? Should I buy another charger and hope it works? I was not the original installer of the grid charger. Second problem: I have not had assist/regen for over a year now. The IMA battery state of charge indicator has not had any bars for over a year now as well. With ignition 'on', all the correct warning lights appear to come on. After starting on the 'starter', check engine light remains on, 12v battery red light stays on for about 30 seconds then goes out. A few seconds after starting, I can hear a definite 'clunk' from the rear of the car (relay??). Then the ima light comes on. On the very odd occasion, just after starting, a few regen bars appear, but immediately followed by the 'clunk' the regen lights go out and the ima light comes on. I am driving with the check engine and ima lights on. At least the 12 volt battery light goes out. OBD codes 1576 and 1568, I am unable to find any subcodes. I understand that a new or reconditioned battery pack would probably do a world of good, maybe even fix all the problems. Unfortunately here in Australia, there are no places to change-over. If I were living in the US, I would have bought a reconditioned pack from one of the reputable firms right away. The 44 pound weight of 20 battery sticks very expensive to ship from US to Australia, even by boat. Any help or advice will be much appreciated. Less than 50 Ze1 Insights were sold in Australia during the total production run, I have seen two in museums, and one at a wrecking yard. They were too expensive at the time. Still a fun car to drive, even without assist/regen.!
Thank you for your time. regards, David

·
7,181 Posts
If you have checked the grid charger fuse and connection to the battery, the reason for your symptoms will be a blown 100A fuse on the battery. Don't buy another charger, the fact that it reads 180V means the charger part is working.

All of your symptoms are normal overall. The clunk is the main relay shutting off, and P1568 is a normal battery code. I think P1576 points to the blown 100A fuse too.

I will ship you 20 sticks and a fuse if you can get me a couple of Wollemi pine. :)

<--- conifer connoisseur

·
Administrator
11,603 Posts
There is a group of ZE1 owners in Australia that have got together for mutual assistance and pooled technical resources, you should certainly join them.

The contact I have for them is [email protected]

Contact him and say you have been put in touch by me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I shall try the 'Aussie' contacts. thanks Peter.
Also thanks to Eli for pointing me in the correct direction too. Shall investigate the fuse. kind regards, David

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,594 Posts
Please post the results of your fixin'.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: 100A fuse was ordered from a website in Japan (Amayama parts) but immediately got paypal refund. Ordered fuse from USA website and fuse is on its way to Australia. Have contacted an owner, Xavier, here in Australia. Has been helpful. Will continue to update. from David

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE. 'Littel' fuse arrived. The 100A fuse arrived last week. Unfortunately my elderly mother in and out of hospital this past month. Family first, so it may take a while before I can replace the fuse. The journey of the fuse with FedEx is as follows: Weymouth MA, Nashua NH, Shrewsbury MA, Teterboro NJ, Saddlebrook NJ, Moonachie NJ, Newark NJ, Memphis TN, Honolulu HI, Matraville Australia, and finally Melbourne, Australia !! Quite a trip, took 9 days to get here. My biggest fear is that the fuse will blow as soon as I install it. Hopefully not. Did I read somewhere on this forum that the 100A fuse can be replaced without removing the IMA battery? Any information much appreciated. That's the latest, regards to all from David

·
Administrator
11,603 Posts
It's difficult to change the 100A fuse with the battery in situ.
I strongly suggest take the battery out to do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you retepsnikrep for your advice. I shall remove the IMA battery completely from the vehicle before changing the 100A fuse. Regards, David

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Latest post, sorry very late. Have removed the IMA battery pack finally. And yes, the 100A fuse was blown. Advice to remove the battery pack to replace the 100A fuse is good advice. It would be very difficult to replace the fuse in-situ. Have replaced it and now I will try to find the time to re-install IMA battery pack.
Thank you all again for all your help/suggestions.
Looking forward to posting again with positive results. Warmest regards, take care to all. from David in Melbourne

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RESULT!! Happy to inform you all that I was able to re-install IMA battery today with new 100A fuse with a positive result. For the first time in nearly 2 years I am pleased that a few green bars of 'charge' appeared. Haven't seen them for so long !! Took the vehicle for test a drive and I am even getting a few yellow bars of 'assist' !! I don't seem to be getting the 'full' assist with heavy acceleration, but early days yet. And my IMA battery sticks very old (orange ones) and are probably in not the best conditions. I wish to thank all of you for your help, advice, and suggestions. Very grateful for this forum. Kind regards, David in Melbourne, Australia

·
7,181 Posts
Be careful with your weak pack, or you could blow your new fuse. The weak pack is what causes the fuse to blow; it's a bug of sorts. I do not think Honda imagined that pack internal resistance would ever get as high as it can(without triggering P1449).

Avoid heavy acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gears and you should be good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Eli for your advice. Much appreciated.
And thanks also for educating me on the Aussie Wollemi Pine ! They nearly grow right under my nose and I didn't even know about them !! Kind regards, David in Melbourne

·
7,181 Posts
:)

It occured to me that you might have thought I was advocating that you collect wild specimens; I would never do that. I understand they're available through most garden centers there in Australia, but it's difficult to find ones small enough to import into the US; there is a size limit on imported trees.

Reactions: tjsean0308

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More Problems !! I had about 7-10 days of 'normal' driving after replacing the 100a fuse. Back to getting 'charge' and 'assist' bars coming on. But twice now I have had check engine and IMA lights come on just after starting. Had to do the 'disconnect 12V battery and re-connect after 30 seconds' reset (?). This has cured the problem both times and vehicle has returned back to 'normal' operations. But I did notice the IMA battery state of charge indicator appears to be stuck on 90% or so. About 3 orange bars short of 'full'. Bars do not decrease or increase even though during driving I am getting charge and assist. The IMA motor is starting the car. The IMA state of charge indicator has been the same since I replaced the 100a fuse. I still suspect the poor state of my battery sticks. Any help much appreciated, once again. Many thanks in advance, from David in Melbourne, Australia

·
7,181 Posts
Pretty normal bad battery symptoms. :(

·
Administrator
11,603 Posts
Have you spoken with Xavier?

Have you done a proper pack recondition cycling process? If not do one asap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you Eli, thank you retepsnikrep, I have sent Xavier an e-mail. I do have a grid charger but I think one of the connections from the battery pack to the grid charger 'connector' maybe loose. I shall investigate. I am always grateful for your suggestions and advice. kind regards, David in Melbourne.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts