Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I have a problems with my Honda insight year 2000.
I have it since 2004 and it was always running well.
The last couple of weeks it was very cold in germany, so when my Batterie was showing full and didn't assiste, i thought its from the cold. But on my way to work the batterie light flshed on and after a 1min or 2 it went off. So next day i went to the honda dealer. He hooked the computer on and deleted the fault massage ( 58 ) and said is okay now. But my batterie still didn't really ***. Next day all the littel light like batterie ect. went on and than the hole cockpit was out, although my front and backlights. The car got real slow and struggeled. After about 8 hours it started normel so I went back to honda. They said it can onlay be the main car batterie. They changed it. But After 1mile the IMA went on. So I turned back to the shop. Again they were reading out the problem. Said something about the cat.. he deletet it. The car ran perfect everything worked till i was alomst home. The Batterie showed up full but wasn't charging. 2 days later the IMA is on again.
And honda statement:
We don't konw, we have no expierences with hybrid.
After I paid already 250euro. :mad:

Please, help me... I love my car... :cry:

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Germany, one of the few there. Hi from Switzerland. Let me answer you in English.
Be prepared to pay much more than EUR 250 if you let the Honda dealer do any more work on the car as they admit to have no experience with hybrid (they have to catch up fast because the hybrid wave is rolling since some years). :)

First of all: do you still drive with the first IMA battery?
What codes did it threw? P1447 or P1449 or the like?
I didn't have the same problems like you, only part of it. No assist even with full battery.
Long story short: I've built a battery charger, charged it, decharge it, several times to let it restore. Too late, my battery seems to be toast. Mine is a 2000 also with the first IMA battery. Germany doesn't have the 10 years warranty extension like the US I believe, Switzerland hasn't either.

I'm now looking for my options like discounted new battery from Honda, getting a full rebuilt one and two more options.

Well, that's my situation. Your case could be different and there are far more experienced owners here on the board who could help you.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
HI, I have a problems with my Honda insight year 2000.
I have it since 2004 and it was always running well.
The last couple of weeks it was very cold in germany, so when my Batterie was showing full and didn't assiste, i thought its from the cold. But on my way to work the batterie light flshed on and after a 1min or 2 it went off. So next day i went to the honda dealer. He hooked the computer on and deleted the fault massage ( 58 ) and said is okay now. But my batterie still didn't really ***. Next day all the littel light like batterie ect. went on and than the hole cockpit was out, although my front and backlights. The car got real slow and struggeled. After about 8 hours it started normel so I went back to honda. They said it can onlay be the main car batterie. They changed it. But After 1mile the IMA went on. So I turned back to the shop. Again they were reading out the problem. Said something about the cat.. he deletet it. The car ran perfect everything worked till i was alomst home. The Batterie showed up full but wasn't charging. 2 days later the IMA is on again.
And honda statement:
We don't konw, we have no expierences with hybrid.
After I paid already 250euro. :mad:

Please, help me... I love my car... :cry:
DTC 58 means the car is not charging the 12V battery properly. It is generally a bad 12V battery or cables or the idle speed. HOWEVER, I have seen a customer with the same error and repairing the hybrid battery solved the problem. I think there is an undocumented link, similar to the customers whose cars stall when in auto-stop.

I suggest you try a "home-remedy" reconditioning. Reset your IMA system, then take your car for a gentle drive on a level highway with little traffic at 50 mph and use a very gentle touch to try to get the hybrid battery almost up to full. Then drive aggressively to empty the battery, then do another gentle drive to fill it again.

See if that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First thanks for your support....

TRI ... Well, yes its still the first batterie. And I have no clue what codes, all it says on the bvill is 58. And thats all they told ma. And in germany warrenty is onlay 2 year. I think the new ones have 5 years on the batterie.
Wish u good luck for ur batterie surch!

Hybridf-Batterie -Repair.... thanks for that information I will try that.

But I think I might explained it wrong. I was confused on all that shortcuts, i'm not so into cars and than in english. When I wrote IMA I mean the litte engine warning light (I don't know its called). So, after they downloaded the second time, it said some problem with the cataly. (gas is not burned the right way, or cheap gas for east europe or something like that.) it ran perfect. Batterie went straight down to a normal level and charged and ***. like always, but only for 10km maybe. and now that warning light for the engine is on all the time.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
But I think I might explained it wrong. I was confused on all that shortcuts, i'm not so into cars and than in english. When I wrote IMA I mean the litte engine warning light (I don't know its called). So, after they downloaded the second time, it said some problem with the cataly. (gas is not burned the right way, or cheap gas for east europe or something like that.) it ran perfect. Batterie went straight down to a normal level and charged and ***. like always, but only for 10km maybe. and now that warning light for the engine is on all the time.
You probably have two unrelated problems. DTC 58 has nothing to do with the catalytic converter or the O2 sensor. These items frequently go bad between 80,000 miles and 150,000 miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts