Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...so i was driving around earlier...nothing new...everything was fine, i had almost full(minus 3 or 4 bars from full) SOC on my battery...pulled into work to stop real quick...was in for maybe 15 minutes or so...got back in the car, before i got a chance to put the key in the ignition, my coworker called me back in for like 2 min...so i get back out and finally start the car...and i have like 2 bars SOC and 3 bars of constant charge

now, ive got a portable CD player plugged into the 12V outlet, but it shuts off when the engine goes off, and i dont think i had the lights on or anything else on

so i dont think anything was draining the battery, nothing different was happening except that it was really cold(like 12*F)

can anyone explain to me if this is something i should worry about?

thanks in advance :D

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
That sounds like a recalibration (recal) event brought on by cold weather. If this is the case the Insight will sort it out rapidy. The Insight computer uses current in and out of the IMA battery to determine the state of charge. Cold weather can effectively lower the capacity of the batteries causing the voltage to drop lower than the computer expects. When this happens due to cold, the Insight will charge the batteries until the voltage reaches the expected level, whereupon it will declare the IMA charged by showing a full reading. All existing commercial battery technologies have this same drop in capacity with dropping temperatures. Unless this happens frequently it is not a problem with the batteries.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok...thank you so much...i have read so much about these "recal"s everyone is talking about, but never knew exactly what they were(or what recal stood for)...that seems exactly like what happened

::phew:: i feel better

1 - 3 of 3 Posts