Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

little emergency here. I drove the car this AM, everything was fine. No issues whatsoever.

I just jumped back in to go home, car wont start. It doesn't turn over. IMA battery level is good. Voltage on the battery in the engine compartment is 11.9.

Dash lights up just fine, when i sink the clutch and turn the key to start the radio goes dead, and nothing happens. I hear the faintest low sound from the rear.

Any ideas? I am stuck with only phone access to the net and scorching heat.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Check the ground connections under the hood. The tightness of the battery connections also.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything is in perfect order with the grounds. This is really baffling..

The only additional thing I notice is the ABS light comes on when I try to start.

All fuses look good..

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
How did you determine the statis (VOLTS) of the 12v battery.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
What is a volt stabilizer? If you drove the car recently and checked the voltage now, it should be over 12.2?
Never mind I googled it.
See if you can get a jump start.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is a volt stabilizer? If you drove the car recently and checked the voltage now, it should be over 12.2?
The volt stabilizer is a gimmicky little box that came with a grounding kit I added. You can see it on this page, the little blue box - Voltage Stabilizers Can Increase Power And Torque - Fact Or Fiction - Import Tuner Magazine

I drove it at 8am this morning for about 8 minutes. It then sat for 2hrs and 15m.

They reading 12.4 and 11.9. Theres usually a little difference between the 2 so that doesnt alarm me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is so strange. I'm no pro mechanic, but competent. I recently changed my clutch master cylinder, so i am not terrible.

Made a quick video to see if it would give you any insight... Pun certainly intended... Lol.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
If you go into the rear battery compartment, and shut off the IMA battery via the switch, It should start on the 12V battery. You will have to hold the ign switch in the start mode a few seconds more than usual.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you go into the rear battery compartment, and shut off the IMA battery via the switch, It should start on the 12V battery. You will have to hold the ign switch in the start mode a few seconds more than usual.
This was the first thing I tried. Exact same results. Thoughts?

I'm no expert but this leads me to think this is due to either:

1. Starter motor is pooped
2. Clutch engage switch is pooped (have to press clutch to start car)

or

3. Could the ABS light coming on only when trying to start indicate something?

·
Super Moderator
4,721 Posts
I have a little car jumper thing. Nothing happened with that either...:(
My little lithium jumper box requires that I press a very small button before it will jump the car. Does yours? What does your volt meter in the car read when it is connected?

This all sounds to me like a bad 12V. 11.9 is way too low.

Or maybe bad connections, either at the battery posts or the negative connection at the firewall. If you can, loosen these, wiggle them, and retighten.

Try removing the mystery box.

Sam

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My little lithium jumper box requires that I press a very small button before it will jump the car. Does yours? What does your volt meter in the car read when it is connected?
Yes, pressed the lil button.

This all sounds to me like a bad 12V. 11.9 is way too low.
The voltmeter in the engine bay reads 12.4. But yes, 11.9 is a lot lower than normal. It usually reads anywhere between 3 and 14. I have a battery tender, I will try charging it.

Or maybe bad connections, either at the battery posts or the negative connection at the firewall. If you can, loosen these, wiggle them, and retighten.
Checked all, they were all very tight and secure. I was hoping this was the issue.

Try removing the mystery box.
Will try now, but its just 4 little capacitors, I dont think it would cause this issue.

Thanks for your advice!

·
Super Moderator
4,721 Posts
What does the voltmeter read with the jumper box connected? It should go up.

Tight doesn't mean no rust of corrosion. I'm just going through everything in my head here. The 12V starter could be bad.

Sam

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What does the voltmeter read with the jumper box connected? It should go up.

Tight doesn't mean no rust of corrosion. I'm just going through everything in my head here. The 12V starter could be bad.

Sam
I'm starting to think its the starter. When I connected the jump starter the engine bay voltmeter went from 12.4 to 12.6 but I did not take note of the interior voltmeter (the one that reads 11.9)/

Thanks for your help Sam, will inspect the connections, but this car is so clean I doubt theres any corrosion. Lets see.

·
Super Moderator
4,721 Posts
This is getting sticky. 12.6V is plenty to boot the computers and relays and it should be starting on the IMA.

I hadn't thought about the clutch switch. It'll be a pain, but you could jump those two terminals.

Sam

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is getting sticky. 12.6V is plenty to boot the computers and relays and it should be starting on the IMA.

I hadn't thought about the clutch switch. It'll be a pain, but you could jump those two terminals.

Sam

Agreed, and I can hear the IMA unit switching on behind me when i turn the ignition.

I'm not sure I know how to do this, can you elaborate for a noob? I am taking a little break from the heat before I collapse lol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone here experienced an Insight starter go bad before? Should it click or make any sound?

The last time a starter went bad for me it was in my Acura Legend, and made a clicking sound.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts