Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there. I bought a 2002 Insight this past January and I’m looking to grid charge one of the two battery packs I have for it. One is still in the vehicle while the other was pulled from the seller’s parts car, so it’s just the pack with fan.

I’m looking for a fairly plug-n-play desktop solution to charging them, but the threads relevant to them seem to contain old information and I’ve been getting overwhelmed trying to figure out what is the best solution for me. I would like to run the car with the cells to help reduce the costs of my 60 mile per day commute in my Chrysler Sebring.

Ideally I’d like to get something for around 600usd and I think that the Prolong deluxe reconditioning package is within my price range when purchased directly through them but I’m unsure if it can be used outside the vehicle.

Is there anyone currently using their grid charger in the way I’m looking to or knows of someone that does? Thank you in advance for your time.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
There's pretty much no difference whether you grid charge with pack installed in the car or not. So any charger that works at all will work in either situation. The only difference might be where you attach the harness at the pack end of it. With pack installed in the car, you attach the positive on a resistor that's part of the electronics board attached to one side of the pack. You'd do that exactly the same if you have that electronics board on the pack outside of the car. If you don't have that board, then you'd have to do something else, like installing that board or simply attaching the positive and negative leads of the harness to the positive and negative end terminals on the pack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, that sounds straight forward enough. I’ll see if I can get a print-out of the instructions to see which resistor it goes to and see if I can source something similar to help ensure safety. I have some time to work some of this out before the rest of the funds I’m waiting on come through. Thank you for the quick response.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
The resistor plays no role in the charging - it's just the place where the positive lead for grid chargers is usually connected. Search for Hybrid Automotive's instructions, they at least used to have instructions with pictures, at their website. And/or Bumblebee Batteries used to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought it might as if the grid charger would expect it to be there, then one should be there. I thought I had the link to the install instructions from Hybrid Auto, but it was just the operation instructions. I’ll take a closer look tonight at work since I’ll have to bring my laptop for another project and I could print it at the same time. I just find print far easier to deal with and it’s my best option since I misplaced my Kindle when I was between places.

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank You
Willie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts