Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I own a 2000 Insight. Bought it used. Soaking Wet driver's side floor board problem. After it rains, The water starts seeping in about a little right from the gas release. It gets quite bad after a few days and begins smelling of mildew.

I had a similar problem about 1 year ago. Had the mechanic take it apart, and he said it was the cooling lines from the air conditioning leaking condensation. Back then It was also on the passenger side. I have had no problems with the passenger side since.

I took my car to the dealer today. They took the whole thing apart and looked for the leak. They could not find any leaks. So he told me to go to an autobody shop and get it taken apart further. I am sick of dealing with this!

Any idea what it may be? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Leak???

I would start by having someone help you by spraying the car with the water hose, start up around the windshield spraying it down. Watch under the dash around the firewall for any water leaking down into the car. Work your way down around the door jam and then spray around the underside behind the engine. Might have to pull up the carpet to see the issue. Because it only happens when it rains I'm guessing you've got a bad seal around the windshield or maybe something passing through the firewall letting the water leak in. I did have a plugged condensation drain line for the in cabin enviromental control box(87 Plymouth Sundance), when you would make left turns the backed up water would slosh out onto the passengers feet.(the wife didn't think it was funny) I doubt that is your problem though since it is on the drivers side and only when it rains.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks Gilbert. LOL on the splashing the passengers! What a weird problem!

I already had the windshield checked. Nada

Also had the flooring/carpet pulled up and everything down there checked. Nada

Sigh. I have a feeling that it is something stupid, like a screw rusted out and loose or something like that.

If it helps, I have also had the "wet seatbelt" problem.

It will cost me 400 to get an autobody shop to take her apart and systematically search for the breech.

I'm a student! That's like a month of groceries and gas!!!!

Anyone else think that is a ridiculous price just for a diagnostic?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Wet Seatbelt

The seat belt problem is pretty common, so I'm guessing from your answer that you've read the threads on this and have already fixed that issue? I guess you could always sell your car to someone in AZ where it almost never rains? Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The seat belt problem is pretty common, so I'm guessing from your answer that you've read the threads on this and have already fixed that issue? I guess you could always sell your car to someone in AZ where it almost never rains? Good luck and let us know what you find.
Ha ha, yes, AZ would be a good place to have a leaky car!

Seat belt does not bother me. From what I have read, it's a b$%#@ to fix, and can cause damage to your car because of the funny shaped pins/connectors/plastic thingys.

The leak's location is very well, localized. It is a spot on the floor that gets very very wet, The water eventually spreads all over the floor boards, But you can almost watch it grow? Because of the localization of the wetness, it leads me to believe its not the seat belt problem. For example, if the seat belt were dripping water, wouldn't the floor behind the seat belt, and directly under the seat belt also be wet? But it's not, so what the hell?

Anyways, I'm poor, and so i'm dealing with this until i can see a proper autobody place.

Actually, i wouldn't mind getting the wind shield replaced as it has a lot of "road rash" and is hard to see out of on sunny afternoons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts