Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Insight, and am in need of new tires.

I've read through so many of the tire articles in the forum, and the concensus seems to be the OEM Bridgestone RE92's.

However, I can't find them anywhere. The are aparently no longer made, and no one has them in stock.

A) Does anyone know where I can find some?

B) If they truly can't be found, what's the next best option?
My main goal is Fuel Efficiency, with a second priority of sound reduction (although that might be just because my tires are old)
I have very light snow in the winter here in the Northern California Sierras, but I have tire chains for the few times I drive in snow.

C) Do I "have to" get the exact 195/65/14 measurements? If not, what other measurements work, and what's the trade off?

Thanks to all of you for this amazing assembled body of knowledge surrounding this unique and wonderful car.

·
Premium Member
10,327 Posts
C.."195X65X14"..........Don't even think about it.

Discount tire also has them.
Your Location in your profile please. It might help locating a tire dealer.

·
3,641 Posts
Do I "have to" get the exact 195/65/14 measurements?
The correct size is 165 65 14. $85 each free ship. http://www.tirebuyer.com/products/tiresize?frontWidth=165&frontAspectRatio=65&frontDiameter=14

There are only a couple of other options right now. Some are half the price of the Bridgestones'. Some folks want overall best return on investment over just actual best MPG. IOW, some of those who don't drive excessive amounts may be better off saving $ on the tire cost. The choice is personal and the math and priorities vary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the links and the size correction!

I went to my local Goodyear dealer, and they are the ones who told me the 195 measurement instead of the 165. Seems important!

MPG isn't only a cost question for me, but so I can feel a little less guilty about driving at all. I'll happily pay more up front to save gas--for the money and for the pollution.

I have some intense vibration in my car that creates a lot of noise, so I'm hoping that new tires along with a realignment will help that as well.

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
I have some intense vibration in my car that creates a lot of noise, so I'm hoping that new tires along with a realignment will help that as well.
Are your tires wearing unevenly? If not, don't waste money on an alignment until you've driven with your new tires. I can't think of how an alignment problem would cause vibration and noise. An out-of-balance tire/wheel combination would cause vibration which could rattle something else causing noise, but your new tires would be balanced which might eliminate the vibration and noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts