Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2010 Insight that won't stay running. Turns on then randomly shuts off. It has the "check charging system' light and battery light, IMA, check engine, check transmission, and check emission system lights on. Is this a common problem? I saw a few similar situations but usually the car doesn't even start. Any thoughts/ideas?

If I decide to just sell it, any ideas what a 2010 Insight that has issues staying running should go for? Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You need to provide some more information. My first questions:
Are you the original owner?
How many miles on it?
Has the battery under the hood been replaced?

It is pretty common for that battery to fail at about 5 years. (Sometimes much sooner) although it might
seem illogical, a weak or failed battery can cause some really weird symptoms.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check out the 12 volt battery. You could take it to Autozone or somewhere like that will load test it for free. The charging system error sounds like this could be the cause, and the 12 volt battery going bad is known to cause all kinds of crazy lights to come on. You should rule that out before you do anything drastic like selling it with problems.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
To add: all those warning lights are probably a red herring. This sounds like a bad battery or even just a loose connection.
Do you have an aversion to seeing a Honda dealer? If so, I guess you have not had any of the software updates either? How about that CVT fluid? Ever have it changed? As my old mechanic used to say: "remember your car before it reminds you"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not the original owner. The battery was replaced but that didn't get rid of the issues. I'm not sure about the cvt fluid. The dealer said they couldn't do the software update because it had a salvage vin. It was running fine for about a month until this started happening.

What loose connections or other things should I check out? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Non-specific unrelated warnings have always turned out to be caused by the 12V battery.

Even if the battery was replaced, test it!
Mine was replaced but the new one was hardly better. I'm soldiering on, monitoring the voltage like a hawk.

And test the ground straps, cables and fuses on the battery top.
Then the auxiliary fuse in the under dash fuse box might be bad too, that would cause the same problems. Just unlikely that that would fail half.

Keep a battery voltage monitor in the car at all times. I use an UltraGauge for that.

If the voltage is fine then it must have some other cause. That would be something new. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
If it has a salvage title, do you have any idea of the nature of the damage? If it was rear ended hard enough, there could be all kinds of issues.

Every time I see a vehicle that has a salvage title I try to remind myself of the issues it could have. And not just the obvious body or mechanical ones. Like the dealer refusing to do any recalls or updates. Insurance problems. You have to be pretty sure you will keep it until it's dead, because they are really hard to sell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked into it more and it was a flood vehicle. I'm guessing that's pretty bad news. Any tips on how to check the electrical stuff that was mentioned earlier. The car is sitting in a garage hours away from me so I can't look into things right away but might be able to have a friend check if I can give him instructions. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
You can get a used IMA box for 700 bucks or so in the US. I bet all the electrical crap and batteries are toast. At least it wants to run. Wonder how high the water went? Have you checked the fluids?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It ran for about a week before it shut off on the highway. Took two jumps to get it home. I don't get how it can still start haha. Does that sound like a ima battery problem? I also have a parts car I can pluck from if there's certain parts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts