Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
3,641 Posts
We are starting to see these more and more as some of the Insights are approaching middle age: tensioner pulley and A/C pulley bearing failures. No big deal, but they need rapid attention.

If the A/C pulley is neglected, it will eventually fail and freeze up, then the belt will snap soon after. At which time the water pump will stop turning, causing engine to overheat, and blow the head gasket.

Bottom line: if you hear this noise, get it fixed ASAP, before the problem cascades into something much more serious/expensive.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Also if the bearings on the AC clutch are bad they can heat up excessively and could damage the AC compressor which is very bad. This can happen even if you aren't using the AC, need to get the bearings replaced ASAP.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Noise Update

Finally inspected the belt pulley system and the idle pulley is definitely bad. I can still turn it by hand, but it feels like it's rolling on rocks and pebbles. The A/C pulley had a lot of play when I rocked it back and forth. Is that normal? When I spun it by hand, the bearing rattled a bit, but not grinding.

The only smooth running part was the water pump. Slight play, but turns freely and no noise.

I want to replace the A/C pulley, but everyone sells it with the clutch set, which is expensive. Anyone bought the pulley by itself before?

Do what you want, but in fairness let us know what part was bad.

Yes the weather is bad in CA now. Just looked outside and we got snow falling.

GTH
Willie

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
David:
The freeplay in the pulley is normal, Don't forget the AC has a "clutch" mec. in the pulley so it will rattle.
Replace the idler pulley and see what it sounds like.
Maybe another video for comparison.
(My suggestion.)

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Will do.

I decided to order the OEM part instead of going to autozone along with a few other items I need to replace. So it will be a couple of days before I can replace it.

David:
The freeplay in the pulley is normal, Don't forget the AC has a "clutch" mec. in the pulley so it will rattle.
Replace the idler pulley and see what it sounds like.
Maybe another video for comparison.
(My suggestion.)

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
894 Posts
good luck! Another vote here for a bad pulley or accessory that is external to the motor. Which is a good thing, because that's easier to fix than the motor itself!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Try not to let the tensioner/bolt fall out when you remove the pully as it can be "fun" to put back in. I purchased a 9 mm ratchitng end wrench for the adjuster so that I only had to remove the lower panel to do the job.

·
Registered
894 Posts
What was the signature before?
LOL - at the risk of making an off-topic post that would displease Hugh-Falls, it had a description of my car and what I've done to it - that's all. I hope he doesn't see this post!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Another UPDATE

Idle pulley ceased up last night. The belt snapped few seconds after from the friction and smoke was coming out everywhere. Had to get the car towed home. :(

Still waiting for the new belt and pulley to arrive.

Word of advice: Get the pulley replaced right away if it's making the same noise as my video.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Bummer, I knew it was going to go south pretty quickly. Hope you get that new pully and belt soon and get it back on the road.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Video with new idler pulley

My car is running normally again!!! Here's the video with the new idler pulley. The metallic grinding noise is definitely gone now and the engine idles so much quieter and smoother.

A/C pulley still makes a rattling noise though when I turn it on so I think it's also on its way out. Anyone know of a place I can buy just the A/C pulley? I don't want to pay $400 for a whole new compressor.

Thanks,
David

Bummer, I knew it was going to go south pretty quickly. Hope you get that new pully and belt soon and get it back on the road.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
The bearings are in the clutch assembly, I know when the bearings went on my kids Focus Ford sold me just the clutch assy without the compressor. There will be a snap ring that you will have to take off, once you get the clutch off be careful as there will be a shim or washer. It is critical that you get that back in the right order during reassembly as it creates the gap in the clutch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
2000 To 2006 Honda insight engine compartment grinding noise.

Very helpful thread. Thank you :)

My 2000 Honda insight with 350,000 miles just began making an almost identical engine area noise. I will do exactly as this thread recommends in terms of how to isolate the noise.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
very helpful

I recently pulled mine off because it was making the same noise. I tried to get by pulling the seals off the bearing, washing it out and lubricating it again. But this did not help. I have ordered a new one from Honda.

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
The bearing in the idler pulley an be replaced with a bearing from your local bearing supplier. You can also buy the idler assy. from your discount auto parts outlet.
Other threads and posts are here on ICN for reference.

Big bucks difference.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
2 Posts
So could this be the same issue coming off of my 95 maxima? We thought it was the grommet from the pcv and that it had wrecked something in the engine. This junk heap when I first got it seemed okay but now that it's been driven through a summer and a now that its winter we have recieved a chain of problems. So far I've had to replace both front cv axles, fuel filter pcv, serpaten belt and more, and eith still more that need to be done. My idle was low so we adjusted the idle pin so the alternator would charge the battery and now a noise very similar to this accompanied by a light knock is happening as well.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I know you ordered bearing from Honda but for future reference here is the thread about the idler pulley bearing. https://www.insightcentral.net/threads/g1-insight-tensioner-pulley-bearing.41665/
I used the Autozone bearing when I replaced mine and it has been good for a long time. After knocking out the old one and cleaning everything up I froze the new bearing and heated up the pulley, new bearing went right in with just a little help from a hammer. Just be careful to get a correct fitting socket that sits on the race when putting it in so you don't damage the new bearings.

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
Nphardy:
Sorry I don't think the ICN crowd work on many minivans, so not much help on the diagnoise.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts