Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the option to buy one of two insigts. they are identical as far as condition (good)
color (silver)
mileage (alittle over 110K)
price. (10k otd)

Differences:

manual
Battery (~10 bars) half
56 mpg lifetime

auto
Battery (18 bars)
46 mpg lifetime

I asked the dealer of the 2001 why the battery was half bars and he said because it haden't been driven for 2 weeks. which was funny because the 2002 was on their lot for a month. The 46 mpg on the 2002 concerns me though. Can someone make sense of it all?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
The number of bars showing on the IMA SoC gauge dosen't mean anything in relation to the remaining service life of the IMA battery pack.

There are some controlled "experiments" that _could_ be done in regard to the SoC and how it responds to driving and over time, but a car on a lot is definitely uncontrollable. ;)

Have your trusted mechanic check out both so you can know the real differences and buy accordingly. :)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the lifetime mileage? about how long would it take to charge to full capacity?

I don't think a mechanic would help in this situation (my mechanic's not familiar with hybrids. wouldn't he need specialized diagnosing equipment?) I've already checked the basic (oil, fluids, tires, body) all okay

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
From your few posts so far I'd recommend caution at this point. The Insight is not for everyone. And from your novice questions there is additional information you should _know_ before purchase.

Its all in here just spend some time browsing and reading (don't forget the Encyclopedia link at the top of each page either).

Unless your a mechanic or possess above average mechanical skills AND have the experience to back-up your knowledge there are potentially hundreds of dollars of "wear and tear" waiting in need of repair on any used car _separate_ from the IMA system. Seems you'd want to know about the basics :?:

As far as the differences in 01-02 the 02 _may_ already have the updated MCM & BCM factory installed (AFAIK this wasn't fully implemented 'til the 03 model year) And the 01 _may_ also have had these $3000 parts installed as a repair. You'll need the vehicles repair history to know for sure.

Both of these cars are relatively high mileage and without proper maintenance may have passed their low cost per mile driving point. Also the IMA battery pack has a limited service life. There's no "easy" way to verify how much is left. Unless you can obtain the records showing its replacement you'd better count on that cost sooner rather than later.

Start searching the forums. :)

Try this link here:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3814

HTH! :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would recommend driving each one, and see which transmission you prefer. The manual and automatic Insights behave quite differently.

The manual Insight gets better gas mileage. However, the automatic does a better job of managing the battery charge, and of course you don't have to shift gears.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
468 Posts
When I purchased my 2000 MT earlier this year the battery only showed about 1/2 charge as I pulled it out of the lot for my test drive. Prior to leaving, I purposely arranged for an extended test drive and they were happy to give me a couple hours to return it. I found that way before that time, the battery had charged to within one bar of full charge. So, I wouldn't worry about the battery necessarily, but instead I'd recommend that you test drive both cars, try to arrange to be able to drive them for an hour or so, and see how the state of charge looks afterwards.

The lifetime miles per gallon is also not really a good indicator of car condition. When I bought mine, it read 48.4, which concerned me somewhat, but the car ran *perfectly* and I was able to get it to enter lean burn mode fairly easily, even though I had no prior experience in driving an Insight prior to that test drive. So far, my personal lifetime miles per gallon has been 62.5 for mostly city driving and short trips. Obviously the previous owners driving style was responsible for the low mileage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts