Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a front-end scraping type noise in my 2000MT 215K miles Insight, especially in lower gears, both while accelerating and coasting. I have no shifting problems or anything that may indicate transmission is bad but my mechanic states with certainty based on the noise alone, the input shaft bearing is bad and recommends replacing tranny with a used one along with new clutch (which i know is bad) but he estimates $2500 for a used tranny with 197K miles and new clutch, 90 day warrantee

1. Is there anything besides the transmission that should be ruled out before I spend that much money?

2. Is a used transmission the best way to go or would a rebuild be better??

3. Any suggestion for sources to get the used and/or rebuilt transmission? I am in Atlanta.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
I hear a front-end scraping type noise in my 2000MT 215K miles Insight, especially in lower gears, both while accelerating and coasting. I have no shifting problems or anything that may indicate transmission is bad but my mechanic states with certainty based on the noise alone, the input shaft bearing is bad and recommends replacing tranny with a used one along with new clutch (which i know is bad) but he estimates $2500 for a used tranny with 197K miles and new clutch, 90 day warrantee

1. Is there anything besides the transmission that should be ruled out before I spend that much money?

3. Any suggestion for sources to get the used and/or rebuilt transmission? I am in Atlanta.
Holy crap, NO. Scott (KYL3CYL) sells a fully rebuilt transmission (All bearings plus synchro mod so no downshift grind) for 750$ (plus shipping) plus the clutch is on Amazon, it's the exedy KHC11.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Jeez run far far away from that guy.

Robbery.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Regardless of who puts it in, definitely buy one from Scott if you can. It'll be rebuilt well and will be modified so as to not develop the downshift grind issue in the future. I just talked to him and he has transmissions available.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holy crap, NO. Scott (KYL3CYL) sells a fully rebuilt transmission (All bearings plus synchro mod so no downshift grind) for 750$ (plus shipping) plus the clutch is on Amazon, it's the exedy KHC11.
So how do I find Scott and there anybody on this forum who has gotten a rebuilt tranny from him to report results?

Is there anything else besides the transmission that I should rule out to cause this noise or is it just best to replace the tranny given the high mileage of my Insight?

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
So how do I find Scott and there anybody on this forum who has gotten a rebuilt tranny from him to report results?

Is there anything else besides the transmission that I should rule out to cause this noise or is it just best to replace the tranny given the high mileage of my Insight?
I would just do the trans, from your description, it definitely sounds like the input shaft bearing.

Scott has built many transmissions. I helped him clean/build a few. He actually has an insight at the shop right now getting one of his transmissions installed. I'm sure someone here will chime in and tell you how good his work is.

As for contacting him, his number is 1-(909)-605-3810. Please don't call him after 9:30PM Pacific time.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,484 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
very likely input shaft bearing failed

From your description, it is very likely a failed input shaft bearing. I would be glad to listen to it if you wish to bring it by one day. I have heard nothing but good about Scott on this forum, so I wouldn't have any reservations about buying a rebuilt transmission from him.

For goodness sakes however, stay away from the stealerships. An independent garage is almost always the best bet. Only problem there is finding one that deals with Insights.

My 0.02 worth,
Tim

·
Registered
497 Posts
$2500??? used??? damn, last I checked you could still order a brand new complete transaxle from Majestic Honda for only 2 grand. Removal and replacement is about 4 or 5 hours at shop rates, $210 for a clutch kit, you're at about $2500 or $2600 for completely brand new everything. But even doing that is ludicrous when all you really need is a $20 bearing and some labor.

If this is "your mechanic" you need to never do business with him again. Not at all joking.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have had Scott (KLR3CYL ) rebuild a transmission for me, and I must say, I have owned many insights and have never had one that drove as good as that car did after getting the rebuilt transmission put in. Scott is as good as it gets for insight work.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Wow I would run FAR FAR FAR away from that shop. That's the definition of highway robbery.

You can buy a whole bearing kit for ~$125 *good japanese bearings*.

R&R transmission ~$400 max.

New complete clutch ~$150

New honda oil ~$20

Dismantle trans, install new bearings ~$350

Crazy.

If you wanted to do it on the cheap R&R trans yourself, install input shaft bearing + input shaft seal yourself.

If you went cheap route you could spend ~$300 and have it all fixed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You may have already taken care of the problem, but I'll echo what a couple of other people have said and say you should get a freshly rebuilt trans from Scott (Username on here is KLR3CYL). I watched him rebuild one at an Insight meetup in Connecticut, and you could tell he knew what he was doing. I finally ordered one from him recently, and just had it put in a few weeks ago. This new transmission is great; the whirring noise is gone and it shifts very smoothly.

Also, when my car broke down on a road trip in Utah, he overnighted me a part that had to be cut off a junk car that was needed to get it running again, and ended up not charging me for the part since it didn't arrive by USPS's guaranteed time and he was able to get a refund on the shipping. He's a great guy to work with.

I didn't see anyone else give you a way to contact him: You can either just PM him on here, or you can call his cell @ 909-605-3810.

·
Registered
33 Posts
trans trouble

hi. same problem here. 2000 insight 108,000 miles. isb bearing shot .trans jumping out of 3rd and 5th gear on deceleration. any links on how to do this isb bearing myself? thanks mike

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Getting tranny rebuilt, alot of bad bearings and parts, plus new clutch.
Is there anything else I should have the mechanic check out/replace as long as the transmission is pulled?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
and the 2nd gear synchro that tends to grind, mine realllllly hates to downshift into second.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rear motor mount
Do you have to pull the transmission out to see the rear motor mounts? I ask because the car shutters upon acceleration from a stopped position and several mechanics have said the engine mounts are ok. One mechanic said it is a clutch problem causing it but the mechanic rebuilding the transmission says the clutch is not that bad.
Also, is there a link to the post in this forum explaining how to fix the 2nd gear sync problem?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts