Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Check Engine Light has come on and gone off 2 days later. Thanks to AutoZone reading the code (P1164 is the code for "A/F Sensor(sensor1)Range/Preformance Problem") it appears I need the primary oxygen sensor. From this diagram I can't tell which one is the correct one.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/aut ... HAUST+PIPE

Is it illustration number 16 (SENSOR, OXYGEN) or 17 (SENSOR, LAF)?

I've read many of the threads on this issue but I'm still unclear as to how to locate this part. Do I crawl under the car, look for the exhaust, look for a ..... Step by step would help alot, since I, obviously, don't work on cars all that much.

Any other tips/suggestions?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
upper/lower but which one is the code complaining about? Sensor1, I got that much, but which one is "sensor 1"?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some of the threads on this board suggest that by not replacing the sensor ASAP, it could cause major damage, so I'd like to get this part on order ASAP. Any help would be greatly appreaciated. Is the code complaining about which part? Sensor 1 is what the code states, but which part is that? Illustration number 16 (SENSOR, OXYGEN) or 17 (SENSOR, LAF)?

Plus any help in describing how to get to it and remove it would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,609 Posts
The number one sensor is located just to the rear of the cylinder head. It is mounted on the first CAT which is on the exhaust pipe that exits the head of the engine. It has 5 wires comeing out of the sensor. It will take a 22 mm box type wrench. Use care if it has never been removed. Use "never seize" on the threads of the new sensor. Do not in any way contaminate the sensor tube (The part with the small holes.) It will have to be removed from the top of the engine compartment. It should take about 15 minutes to change.

Hope this helps.

Willie

·
Registered
43 Posts
The #1 sensor is the LAF sensor, #17 on your chart.

One tip when replacing this sensor, You need to press the little clip on the connecter and slide the connecter from the bracket bolted on the engine before it will separate.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Product # 36531-PHM-A01
Description SENSOR, LAF
Part ordered. Thank you all, for the assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.