Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a new 12V battery to be fitted when I have my Insight serviced soon (I do not recommend Halfords batteries). I ordered parts from a Honda dealer today (servicing will be done at a good independent garage after previous dealership experiences!) and requested an Insight 12V battery as part of my list.

They quoted £214 / US $375 for a Japanese Insight battery to be imported :shock: . Of course they wouldn't let me order the UK version which retails at £40. So I am now in the market for a decent 12V battery.

Lots of people on this site love the Optima Yellow Top but when I looked on UK websites, they cost in the region of £150 - £205 (US$350).

Grateful for responses on the following queries:

Is the Yellow Top really worth it?
Which Yellow Top - the 55ah or 75ah?
Which battery have Insighters used without any problems? (Part numbers, amperage etc?)

Thank you!

·
Registered
184 Posts
HiCitrusSmoothie,
If you'll do a quick search, you'll find exhaustive info on this topic on this Forum. Unless you leave your parking lights on at night or use the stereo extensively, may I suggest that there's no need for the capacity, weight, or cost of an Optima. For myself, I'm happily using a small Odyssey PC545 (used on larger motorcycles) sealed AGM battery, as its 14Ah (20hr rate) capacity is more than sufficient. Cheers. JoeS.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Whoa there, you got the wrong optima's listed. The one that fits the Insight is the group D51R, which is only 41ah (C/20). The 55ah tends to fit our GM trucks and SUV's. The 75ah one is more for larger applications, and neight of them would fit in the Insight battery tray.

They are pricey no doubt. I have one, but it's probably way overkill unless you have a lot of stereo equipment or run things on the 12 volt often. Does the UK civic use the same battery as ours? Here they just sell us a civic battery as a replacment.

·
Registered
466 Posts
agreed, the optima D51 fits perfectly. even the hold-down clamp fit. btw, the 51R has the terminals reversed, but the cables will reach, albiet kinda tight.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Oops, thanks for catching that. I thought we were reversed, guess not.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Like JoeM., I also used the PC545. I removed the original battery tray and used the aluminum case that I ordered with the battery for mounting it. Had to make two small brackets for additional support. Lots of extra room now. Difference in weight before and after was right at 6lbs. Looks slick now, nice red battery top. Much easier to get the warm air mod around behind the engine also.
Took lots of pics if needed.
Randall

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I would to make sure everyone knows that the civic 12V battery fits perfectly and is a good cost effective option.

G

·
0 Posts
Guillermo said:
I would to make sure everyone knows that the civic 12V battery fits perfectly and is a good cost effective option.
I was going to go this route as well... until I went one grade cheaper. I went and bought a bottle of distilled water and filled the original battery. Worked like a charm and only cost me a $1. Even if it doesn't work for you... you will still only be out a buck.

My only problem has been what to do with the rest of the bottle (have a high tech iron that doesn't need special distilled water).

·
Registered
295 Posts
What is the difference between a normal car battery and the one in the Insight that makes it so expensive ?

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Windmill,

Please read the post above yours,

Answer: The price of course.

Really, I don't think there is much difference other than the price, a regular Honda Civic should be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your comments guys, I have ordered an Odyssey PC545 from barden-uk.com today for around £80.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Citrus,

Installed one in my Insight eariler this year. You'll also need some type of "box" to hold the battery or spacer under to greatly lift it And terminal adapterssince the 545 comes with non automotive standard terminals.

If you need further info post back I'll get some links. :)

HTH! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts