Honda Insight Forum banner

Help pricing 2000 5 speed

2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Joule 
#1 ·
Am getting ready to part with my beloved 2000 5speed Insight. Runs well but, not surprisingly, need some work (for example, it goes up through the gears fine - and let me tell you, I will miss that second gear! - but downshifting from 5th to 4th or 3rd to 2nd can be tricky). It still holds a charge - but not for too long. Have a look and I welcome and would appreciate any thoughts on how best to price it. I’d much prefer to sell it to someone in this group or someone who will appreciate the car. (It has about 220,000 miles on it. I have the CarFax and am happy to share. I’ve owned the car some January 2018). Happy to share more pictures/videos. Thanks!

See less See more
#10 ·
Gotcha and I appreciate the feedback!
If you were close by (you're not), and the body weren't damaged (doesn't look like it is), I'd offer up to $900 for it... I'd guess you might be able to get $1900 max? Hard to say these days, used car prices are supposedly really high, everything's kind of high, so even $2000 doesn't seem like much for a running, generally OK car. Clean it up and you'd be in better shape...
I like the way you think! And yes to cleaning it up. I posted the photos just to give folks who know about these cars something to base pricing off of. Stay tuned! I hope to have cleaned up photos and a real listing in the coming days.

#9 ·
If you were close by (you're not), and the body weren't damaged (doesn't look like it is), I'd offer up to $900 for it... I'd guess you might be able to get $1900 max? Hard to say these days, used car prices are supposedly really high, everything's kind of high, so even $2000 doesn't seem like much for a running, generally OK car. Clean it up and you'd be in better shape...

#11 ·
^ The problem/conundrum is this: On the one hand, you try to sell to someone who's NOT going to ding you for all the little things insight-folk know about, like no Potenzas, who just want an economical, decent car. But on the other hand, the dodgy pack and the grinding gears would probably scare those people off... So $2000 might've been doable, but probably not, because that $2000 would have come from someone just wanting a decent economical car...

#17 ·
Welcome and GLWS. What eq1 said above is exactly what I was thinking. There are a bunch of these cars out there FS for high amounts in poor condition with major issues like yours (tranny needs rebuilding), and I don't think they sell well, and they sit, heard that story over and over. Anyone with a bit of common sense isn't going to pay you real money for this one....by the time the tranny and battery are fixed that's +$4000 for it to run right, other issues aside. Just being realistic, I've looked at so many of these. It's a big risk for the buyer and could end up being a parts car. $500 is fair for both parties imho. I've seen 4 in the last 6 months for sale at that price in the southeast (in person) with no rust anywhere, all running about like yours with cold A/C.

Hope this will be a good project for someone, but the risk involved means a pretty low asking price. Just my .02.

#15 ·
Truth be told, $1500 would be very tempting. Also truth be told, I do think it is worth more but to some degree I'm at the mercy of the folks on this board - I'm no mechanic and am not trying to pretend to be one. Just being honest with what I have and am hoping for a fair offer.
Thanks for your thoughts - I do appreciate them!

#16 · (Edited)
Keep in mind that hybrid battery age/condition forms a large part of the value of older, higher mileage daily drivers and a top of the line replacement pack with warranty is going to run in the $2 - $2.4 K range.

Your car with a new replacement pack is probably a $3k car. Thus, it would not make a great deal of sense to buy a replacement pack to sell it.

Replacement packs generally only make sense for folks who are going to keep and drive them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.