Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone here good with speed, distance, and time calculations?

on july 12th, im going up to the track to ride my motorcycle, and im driving my car there with some friends bringing my bike

i need to be there by 6AM...so i need to get up really early to get there(staying the night before is out of the question)

so heres where you guys and gals come in...

its about a 200 mile trip, and i want to find the best balance between making good time and getting the best mileage...so im wondering if you could help me out by giving me a rough estimate on how long it would take at a few different average speeds

i dont need exact, like...driving 60mph will take 200 minutes obviously

but what about 55? 65? 70? 75? i want to take advantage of this long trip to raise my OMPG if i can without it taking too long, so im just wondering how much of a time difference 5mph will make over 200 mi.

thanks from the math challenged :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
55 will take 3.6 hours or 220 minutes
60 = 3.3 / 200
65 = 3.07 / 184
70 =2.8 / 170
75 = 2.6 / 160

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
d=rt

d is distance, r is rate (speed), t is time.

Just drive the speed limit + a smidgeon more, and don't obsess about it, enjoy the ride... ;)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
As you can see from IMAhybrid, at lower speeds 5 MPH makes a bigger difference. 55 to 60 yields 18 minutes, while 70 to 75 makes 10 minutes difference.

If you want to use the lean burn range you can not travel much over 60 unless you have a tail wind or are traveling down hill.

I got 74 MPG on a 4,000 mile trip last summer driving on average a little over 60. Around here I drive at roughly 50 MPG and get about 80 MPG.

If you have 40,000 miles on your Insight like I do, a 200 mile trip won't make a visible difference unless you push the car the whole way. (.05%) ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Kip,

I disagree about the amount that pushing it would increase the lifetime mpg. If ikhoudvanu is anything like me and he pushed even an Insight 200 miles then he would lose at least 20 lb. :oops: If he keeps the weight off (maybe more trips like this one) then that would mean a reduction in weight of his car + passenger of about 1%. That should improve his mileage long-term.

:idea:

Come to think of it, if we were REAL hypermilers we would all be pushing more. Think of the other advantages: much better view of the scenery, chance to meet the locals. Unfortunately it's not clear that pushing would reduce greenhouse gas emissions compared to driving, especially since methane is a powerful greenhouse gas. So the pusher would have to stay away from the chile.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
b1shmu63 said:
If you have 40,000 miles on your Insight like I do, a 200 mile trip won't make a visible difference unless you push the car the whole way. (.05%) ;)
im not looking to make a change in my LMPG, as my car has 101,000 miles on it...but my OMPG is much easier, as I only have 7,000 miles on it

thanks to everyone for the help so quickly...now to decide how fast to go :?: :?:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sounds like a four (4) hour trip to me, and add an extra half hour for unexpected delays or troubles along the way.

As the other man said just above, settle back, relax and enjoy the trip as you zip along at fifty or so MPH. For that range and at that speed, your little Isight is in her element - doing just what she was designed to do.

Best of luck and drive carefully.

Fred

1 - 7 of 7 Posts