Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased (2) 9003 Silverstar bulbs, and went to install them. I am no expert at car repairs, but have done more simple things like this in the past. I ran into some trouble and was hoping somebody could give me a couple tips.

(I only tried the driver side). First, I removed 2 10mm screws with washers holding the headlamp assembly. Once the screws were removed, I noticed that the little overflow tank (i think) from the radiator could be slid up and removed. Since the headlight assembly did not come out (I didn't apply very much pressure at all) by removing the screws, I decided to lift up the overflow tank to see if I could get access from the rear.

I found a large (3-1/2 in) rubber thingy around the headlight bulb area, and after removing the wires, removed the rubber "thingy". The rear of the bulb was then exposed. However, I could not figure out how to get it out. I didn't want to do any damage, and everything had been performed with great care to this point, so I put it all back together, and came here to my computer.

Any tips on the right procedure to follow? Any tips on the passenger side as well?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
First no the headlight doesn't have to come out. And even if it had to you have to remove the bumper cover to get to the bottom bolts on it anyways. That said you almost had it. The coolant resivor on that one side has to come out, then you disconnect the wire plug, next the rubber weather seal pulls out, lastly there is a little retaining clip which pushes in then comes down (or is it up?) then out which releases the bulb.

I would recommend using some latex gloves when handling the bulbs. Any skin contact can severely lower the life of the bulbs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First no the headlight doesn't have to come out. And even if it had to you have to remove the bumper cover to get to the bottom bolts on it anyways. That said you almost had it. The coolant resivor on that one side has to come out, then you disconnect the wire plug, next the rubber weather seal pulls out, lastly there is a little retaining clip which pushes in then comes down (or is it up?) then out which releases the bulb.

I would recommend using some latex gloves when handling the bulbs. Any skin contact can severely lower the life of the bulbs.
I just wanted to say, Thanks, Rick. Ten years after you wrote your advice on how to change out the headlight bulbs, I just used your directions to change my bulbs for the first time in my 2001 Insight. This weekend I installed a new stereo head unit and new speakers too - all made possible by this incredible and valuable forum resource. Big props and thanks to all of you who have built this fantastic site.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just wanted to say, Thanks, Rick. Ten years after you wrote your advice on how to change out the headlight bulbs, I just used your directions to change my bulbs for the first time in my 2001 Insight. This weekend I installed a new stereo head unit and new speakers too - all made possible by this incredible and valuable forum resource. Big props and thanks to all of you who have built this fantastic site.
I’m 6 years after you doing the same on my 2003, 16 years after the original poster. This site is incredible.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,967 Posts
Welcome to the family, Please include your location in your Profile.
Thank You.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts