Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove an 01 today with over 100k....1st off the stereo was said to be stock and it had alot of bass and sounded great(cd was playing)......could this be right? Freeway was kinda scary---seems like car wanders around.....auto stop works cool...if you don't push the clutch in all the way will it not restart sometimes? Car seems really slow...we have Q45 and a 04 Crv which feel like rocket ships compared to Insight.......at 55-60 on freeway 4th gear seemed better than 5th(power wise) and still yielded 90-130mpg....a/c was really cold :p Was I doing lean burn anytime the mpg was 100 or more? Car was really easy to get into these figures just cruising with light throttle.....when seller arrived the soc was nearly full and he had been driving the freeway with a/c on. Thats all I can think of now...

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
If the stereo sounded great, then it probably wasn't the stock stereo. If the speakers fit neatly behind the grey plastic grills, they may have been stock. Often when replaced they don't fit behind the grills any longer.

Look at the bright side, if it sounded good and it WAS actually the stock system then imagine how great it will be when you do even a minor upgrade.

The stock only has a tape player, so that is a dead giveaway that it is not stock if it has CD player or mp3 player in there... Duh! You said a CD was playing. Therefore not stock.

The little tires kind of track in grooves on the pavement. If you get used to it, then it just adds to the fun. If you don't like it, you can swap out tires to wider ones. Lots of threads on this. Always some hit on mpg, but it varies from tire to tire.

Sometimes I have had problems starting the first time from autostop, even though I have gone to 1st gear. It seems most often if I have done a lot of stop and go. It hasn't happened in a long time now, but it does happen. No real explanation.

If you were driving with AC and still getting that good mpg, that is very good. AC may make it a bit more slow. The trick is to get used to the gearing. You can go just over 70 mph in 2nd and hit the speed limiter in 3rd, so if you have a time when you need acceleration, then downshift pretty far for it.

Lean burn is 100 mpg or more. It also often sticks around 75 mpg, which is good but not lean burn. If it pegs at 150 mpg, then it is fuel cut where it cut fuel entirely.

There are lots of slower cars out there, and faster ones. You'll need to experiment with the Insight style and then you can find that it can be zippy enough to be fun and high on the mpg. You can also do the turbo kit, if you want to join the turbo crowd.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Ah, silly me. That is an option. I just don't have it! My error. I was thinking that you saw the CD player in the dash system, which is not stock.

You can swap out the speakers for some that fit in the same holes, less grills, and that will help out. It won't cost you much either.

I am talking like you bought the car already...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts