Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first gen Insight has been sitting for a few months after IMA light went on and showing one bar. Now I disconnected

the 12v battery to charge overnight and this morning on short drive the IMA battery is charging and discharge as it should. I wonder why all of a sudden it is working. Can I trust it for a long drive? Any help is thankful.
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Being it's a Citrus, you should just post in the 4Sale section of IC.

Your plate shows as being in Cali - depending on your location, there are may be an Insight Whisperer nearby that can assist or if you are near to Covina, @KLR3CYL is the Insight Messiah and can get you better than new.

Be prepared to either get a grid charger or a replacement IMA.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
Well he was trying to sell it in January, I think...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Boy you guys don't miss anything, I guess it's the Citrus color! And not so sure I will be selling it with gas almost 7 dollars a gallon in SoCal. Sending it out for paint, I have a guy that is amazing. And will end up getting a battery. Has S2000 seats and steering wheel, plus sunroof. Was my brothers baby and can't let it go. It is a cute ride.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
Boy you guys don't miss anything, I guess it's the Citrus color! And not so sure I will be selling it with gas almost 7 dollars a gallon in SoCal. Sending it out for paint, I have a guy that is amazing. And will end up getting a battery. Has S2000 seats and steering wheel, plus sunroof. Was my brothers baby and can't let it go. It is a cute ride.
I just remember the thread.

Honestly you should go Lithium for the battery, then you (probably)won't ever have to worry about it again.

And about the paint... There isn't a whole lot of Citruses left, if your buddy isn't really damn good, and it comes out like @EggEnjoyer's car...>:l.

Reactions: FlyingHood395

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
You are on borrowed time… unfortunately.
Not necessarily, if the light originally lit only because the car had been sitting unused for a while.

I've brought back two packs that gave me IMA lights simply because they had been sitting a long time. They just needed to be exercised. The most recent was last week.

To do this, I pulled the power to the BCM when the IMA light came on to reset it. The latest time it only came one once or twice; however, it was frequently background charging and recalibrating. However, after a few hours of driving, this got less frequent, until by the end of a six hour drive I was getting full assist (this was also with a 40% current hack in place.) No grid charger or lightbulb discharger was used.

The first time this happened was when I first got the car years ago; the IMA light came on because it had been sitting after hitting a deer.
The second time was last week when I put a pack in my other car with a bunch of sticks given to me by another owner who pulled them for LiBCM. They had worked in his car but after sitting for a while they lit the IMA light when the car was fired up.

I have noted anecdotally that my IMA batteries seem as strong as ever after returning from a cross-country road trip. I have also had a device in my BCM that reports stick pair voltages to my phone in a bargraph display. It was very obvious that imbalance that was at the start of the drive was gone - a flat line across all ten voltages - at the end of long road trips (many hours). The change was noticeable even after the first hour or so if not sooner.

Bottom line is that I think some people are panicking when they see an IMA light after a long time parked. Sometimes they are right, as I have seen some aftermarket cells not come back after being left idle in a pack for a year, when before they were OK. But if the Honda pack wasn't toasted to begin with (and I do have one of those, a pack from around 2006, which has multiple cells not coming back and split heat shrink visible from outside the pack!), and if it just has been sitting a long, it is a candidate for conditioning, and I will try the "very long drive" method first. However, I make sure that the 12V battery is in good shape and charging (using @mudder's trick to make the DCDC keep charging the battery like a normal alternator would) and that I don't go further than I want to pay for a tow until I am comfortable that it is improving.

I am wondering if others have observed this phenomenon.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would not trust it for a long drive.

Can you get a quality code reader and pull the DTC's? (Diagnostic trouble codes)

·
Registered
41 Posts
about the paint... There isn't a whole lot of Citruses left, if your buddy isn't really damn good, and it comes out like @EggEnjoyer's car...>:l.
Yeah, I have no idea what was done to my poor roof. I assume it was done by the sketchy flipper I bought the car from. Please make sure it's done right, so it doesn't look like this:
Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
EggEnjoyer:

My clear coat is flaking off the upper portions of the car exposed directly to the sun and there is one area about 6" in dia that has that flat white look. When I bought the car in 2013 the 1st owner told me he had re-painted the car in the original silver color and gave me the left over paint in the Honda gallon bucket.

My son is the car painter of the family and says it looks like someone didn't use the proper clear coat on my car and it didn't bond properly to the color coat.

When I bought the car there was a patch of raised paint on the passenger's side door about the size of a quarter that looked detached from the door. That got larger as the other areas started losing clear coat many years later. Finally when the original raised area got about 6" in diameter, the color coat fell off the door and now I see what I think is the same white color like your roof.

I think that white color on our cars may be some sort of aluminum preparation (undercoat) for the actual color coat the car is painted in. :cry:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I remember seeing this one for sale when I purchased mine! Glad to see it again on the forum.

As others in this thread have said, find a shop in Covina called Jue Motors. Scott & the crew are a "Michelin-star" shop for my Insight (I'm in the San Diego area).

Out of curiosity (and for fear of thread-jacking lol) - who are you using for paint & what's the cost? My roof may also require some work, since the paint on these cars is so crazy thin.

·
Registered
41 Posts
now I see what I think is the same white color like your roof.
The white spots in mine are just light reflecting off. The roof is a rich green, but painted with some of the roughest prep I've ever seen and least care of surrounding areas. I can see the sanding scratches through the paint on every inch, and there's little shine even after wet sand and polish. Thankfully it's just the roof...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I remember seeing this one for sale when I purchased mine! Glad to see it again on the forum.

As others in this thread have said, find a shop in Covina called Jue Motors. Scott & the crew are a "Michelin-star" shop for my Insight (I'm in the San Diego area).

Out of curiosity (and for fear of thread-jacking lol) - who are you using for paint & what's the cost? My roof may also require some work, since the paint on these cars is so crazy thin.
I have a friend of a friend who owns big body shop. Giving me a super deal he painted a Mustang for me
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle Tire

a while back and it looked amazing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts