Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Silverstone G1- 200k miles
243 Posts
Idk if the citrus is a pearl or metallic, but if it's one of those make sure they can lay it down right. Silverstone Metallic is definitely one of the harder metallics to lay without tiger striping. Just make sure they do it right and you trust their work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Idk if the citrus is a pearl or metallic, but if it's one of those make sure they can lay it down right. Silverstone Metallic is definitely one of the harder metallics to lay without tiger striping. Just make sure they do it right and you trust their work.
Last car they painted for was a simple red Mustang. But they did take the glass out and I was impressed with that. Who does that? I think they will be fine. There is almost zero bodywork, just prep and paint.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The 'Citrus Syndrome' derives from 'Day After Tomorrow' movie magnetism....RIP Art Bell

I love that movie I saw it in theaters with my mom when I was 14 lol. It's a cheesy movie but a good one no doubt, well for a disaster movie lmao. I noticed the insight last time I watched it and got pretty excited haha

·
Registered
2000 Silverstone G1- 200k miles
243 Posts
Last car they painted for was a simple red Mustang. But they did take the glass out and I was impressed with that. Who does that? I think they will be fine. There is almost zero bodywork, just prep and paint.
Agreed, doing a full restoration like that isn't something you see everyday. They're likely fine in that case. Just keep an eye out after they're done before accepting the work for unevenness in the color of the paint and take a look at it in full daylight from all angles. I've seen too many scams come out of body shops.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Agreed, doing a full restoration like that isn't something you see everyday. They're likely fine in that case. Just keep an eye out after they're done before accepting the work for unevenness in the color of the paint and take a look at it in full daylight from all angles. I've seen too many scams come out of body shops.
I hope you will keep us posted on the outcome of your body and paint work. Color match and if you can tell that it's a re-paint. Also, the approximate cost if you are comfortable sharing this information. I happen to have a Citrus that I am interested in restoring some day. Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 CVT, F450 Brush Truck, MB 115
3 Posts
Purchased an ‘04 CVT this Spring with the IMA light on, but it had a 6 year old replacement IMA battery in it with only 23k miles on it. The 12V would not take a charge: Replaced that and I think the IMA light has come on twice since the 12V replacement: Reset by pulling negative lead. I have a 10 mile commute and “drive for the SOC”. It’s been flawless the last three weeks with 80 mile highway round trips on every weekend day. Have discovered at 68-75mph, mileage goes up to 58, normally at 55-56. The higher revs allow pulling moderate hills without assist. At 76-80mph, mpg falls to 54. That said, getting ducks in a row to do the LiBCM conversion. ;)

Not necessarily, if the light originally lit only because the car had been sitting unused for a while.

I've brought back two packs that gave me IMA lights simply because they had been sitting a long time. They just needed to be exercised. The most recent was last week.

To do this, I pulled the power to the BCM when the IMA light came on to reset it. The latest time it only came one once or twice; however, it was frequently background charging and recalibrating. However, after a few hours of driving, this got less frequent, until by the end of a six hour drive I was getting full assist (this was also with a 40% current hack in place.) No grid charger or lightbulb discharger was used.

The first time this happened was when I first got the car years ago; the IMA light came on because it had been sitting after hitting a deer.
The second time was last week when I put a pack in my other car with a bunch of sticks given to me by another owner who pulled them for LiBCM. They had worked in his car but after sitting for a while they lit the IMA light when the car was fired up.

I have noted anecdotally that my IMA batteries seem as strong as ever after returning from a cross-country road trip. I have also had a device in my BCM that reports stick pair voltages to my phone in a bargraph display. It was very obvious that imbalance that was at the start of the drive was gone - a flat line across all ten voltages - at the end of long road trips (many hours). The change was noticeable even after the first hour or so if not sooner.

Bottom line is that I think some people are panicking when they see an IMA light after a long time parked. Sometimes they are right, as I have seen some aftermarket cells not come back after being left idle in a pack for a year, when before they were OK. But if the Honda pack wasn't toasted to begin with (and I do have one of those, a pack from around 2006, which has multiple cells not coming back and split heat shrink visible from outside the pack!), and if it just has been sitting a long, it is a candidate for conditioning, and I will try the "very long drive" method first. However, I make sure that the 12V battery is in good shape and charging (using @mudder's trick to make the DCDC keep charging the battery like a normal alternator would) and that I don't go further than I want to pay for a tow until I am comfortable that it is improving.

I am wondering if others have observed this phenomenon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My first gen Insight has been sitting for a few months after IMA light went on and showing one bar. Now I disconnected

the 12v battery to charge overnight and this morning on short drive the IMA battery is charging and discharge as it should. I wonder why all of a sudden it is working. Can I trust it for a long drive? Any help is thankful. View attachment 97132
Probably not. Given the drivetrain mileage, I'd replace the traction battery. Here's a reliable source: Find My Battery - Bumblebee Batteries

21 - 29 of 29 Posts