Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as I'm going to be up in Spokane for the 4th of July week, from the 30th to the 8th, I'm making preparations for a test drive and such of a 2002 Silverstone Metallic CVT Insight.

Now, this car is going for $13,000, it has approximately 78,000 miles on it and the owner recently purchased brand new OEM RE92 Potenzas along with $300 a piece snow tires. During the time I spend up there, I'll have my wonderful high-resolution (2560x1920!) camera with me and I'll be sure to snap some good pictures.

A little lower on the price tag and I believe this Insight'll be the one I'll be driving. Here's hoping for the best. I'll update this topic once I get there and with pictures of before and after test drives and perhaps even drive home with it! Who knows what the future holds.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Insight

Maybe it's jut me but that price seems quite high, especially being it's a CVT (not knocking it but they don't usually see a premium price). That year and miles the price seems very inflated

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Insight

Leeper said:
That year and miles the price seems very inflated
I'm not sure whether he is a member here, but I am well aware of it, he was originally asking $15,000. KBB price is only about $10,500. With the tires, it raises the price to perhaps $11,500 or $12,000.

Edit: However, I'm nowhere near the stretch of imagination of a good barterer, so my best attempts will be made to $11,000, but I will settle with $11,500 or $12,000. I'll have approximately $4,500 by the time I make the purchase, so it is a bit of a deciding factor on the loan length and how much I pay each month. Not many deals under 100,000 miles though.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hopefully you can negotiate the price a bit as others have noted. ;)

But on the plus side it should qualify for the 10/150K IMA battery warranty extension. (Call a local dealer and have them run the VIN - BEFORE you buy :!: )

HTH! :)

And good hunting :!:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Matter of fact, luck be with me that I have a friend's father who works at a car dealership, he can run the VIN for me through AutoCheck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also bought my 2002 CVT with approximately 78K miles for $10K about 4 months ago (April 2007.) It did need new tires, brakes and servicing.

But the important selling point was a warranty that came with the car. It was a Honda care (7year/100Kmiles) warranty and worth at least $1.5K. Check if the seller bought an extended warranty that can be transferred or perhaps negotiate for one.

I can tell you that I have really enjoyed the Insight during the past 4 months but like anything mechanical (after 78K miles), it will require periodic servicing such as when the check engine light comes on. If the car does not have an extended warranty, then make sure you find a mechanic that you trust.

I currently average a combined 55-60mpg (city/hwy) in Los Angeles with A/C and with using this site's helpful driving tips such as pulse/cruise, maximum tire pressure as well as occasional drafting. The CVT mpg is generally lower than the MT but careful, Insight driving habits will give you decent mpg.

Good luck to you. :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Insightful Trekker said:
... Won't be 100% fool proof
... (Honda's records are the "gold" standard in this case). ;) ... its Honda that _may_ have to shell out for the warranty.
Bullock is right as far as I'm concerned. Besides, with that VIN data, when you take it to a local Honda dealer, odds are it won't cost you anything just to inquire. Most service people, thinking about future business from you, will probably be more than glad to spend five or ten minutes with you in that regard. Check with a Honda dealer? Yes - and do it BEFORE you buy!

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

[/u]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have every intention of getting the VIN checked, don't worry. I don't know if the car has been in an accident, though I should have asked awhile ago. Regardless of that fact, I'm going to call a Honda dealer today and get the VIN checked.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, we'll be heading out tomorrow morning, bright and early at 4:30AM, I'll have my camera with me, this is going to be nothing short of awesome. XD

·
Registered
171 Posts
Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alrighty guys. Haven't posted in awhile, but I just got back from test-driving it.

If you want to hear the irony, it's a smoother, quieter ride than our Honda Odyssey we took up here!

I got about 15-20 pictures, and I didn't do -too bad- with the MPG. I didn't reset the trip gauge and it started out at 43 miles and 66.2 MPG. It finished with about 61.1 MPG at 104 miles.

First time I enjoyed that car and we used A/C almost the entire way! It was awesome!

I'll have pictures up soon, gotta get them all out of my camera and uploaded somewhere.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hitokage said:
Alrighty guys. Haven't posted in awhile, but I just got back from test-driving it.

If you want to hear the irony, it's a smoother, quieter ride than our Honda Odyssey we took up here!

I got about 15-20 pictures, and I didn't do -too bad- with the MPG. I didn't reset the trip gauge and it started out at 43 miles and 66.2 MPG. It finished with about 61.1 MPG at 104 miles.

First time I enjoyed that car and we used A/C almost the entire way! It was awesome!

I'll have pictures up soon, gotta get them all out of my camera and uploaded somewhere.
Nice! That's some great mileage for a CVT and using A/C.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts