Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am having this problem for over a year now.

Here is what I replaced (improved but never perfect)

- New throttle body
- New primary o2 sensor
- Replaced EGR twice for nothing.
- replace 3 coils for nothing
- replace temp sensor (worst when between cold and warm)
- replaced spark plugs
- Clean egr passages twice.
- check all vacuum

For those who think that the o2 sensors cannot cause herky jerky, you are wrong!

I replaced my secondary o2 sensor, and guess what? it was the problem. It is like a new car now. I can drive at 1800rpm in 5th gear and it is very smooth.

The funniest part, is that I installed a jobber o2 sensor for honda's for 20$ brand new. It was the same connector

It was not so easy to replace. After 13 years, it was jammed. I used a lot of BG loosenut

What make me think that the secondary o2 could be the problem is when someone here in another thread said that when he used a spacer on the secondary o2 sensor, the herky jerky condition happened.

Hope this will help others.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
I am having this problem for over a year now.

Here is what I replaced (improved but never perfect)

- New throttle body
- New primary o2 sensor
- Replaced EGR twice for nothing.
- replace 3 coils for nothing
- replace temp sensor (worst when between cold and warm)
- replaced spark plugs
- Clean egr passages twice.
- check all vacuum

For those who think that the o2 sensors cannot cause herky jerky, you are wrong!

I replaced my second o2 sensor, and guess what? it was the problem. It is like a new car now. I can drive at 1800rpm in 5th gear and it is very smooth.

The funniest part, is that I installed a jobber o2 sensor for honda's for 20$ brand new. It was the same connector

It was not so easy to replace. After 13 years, it was jammed. I used a lot of BG loosenut

What make me think that the second o2 could be the problem is when someone here in another thread said that when he used a spacer on the 2nd o2 sensor, the herky jerky condition happened.

Hope this will help others.
Mike,

Thanks for posting.

Question #1

So if I understand you correctly, you're saying that a $20 "jobber" O2 sensor fixed the problem?

Question #2

Just to be clear, which sensor are we talking about? The first one up by the CatCon, or the second, down by the NOx Cat?

I know, my car only has two, since it is a year 2000.

Jim.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Thanks for the insight. I just replaced the EGR and im replacing the primary O2 on Thursday. It seems the herky jerky is gone after replacing the egr. I may replace the secondary O2 as well. Never could hurt.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1- Yes 19$ in ebay. I even order another one as spare :)

2- the second one, after the cat. $ wires o2 sensor. For the first one, I take no chance. Dealer only.

3- mine is also a 2000.

Mike,

Thanks for posting.

Question #1

So if I understand you correctly, you're saying that a $20 "jobber" O2 sensor fixed the problem?

Yes 19$ in ebay. I even order another one as spare :)

Question #2

Just to be clear, which sensor are we talking about? The first one up by the CatCon, or the second, down by the NOx Cat?

I know, my car only has two, since it is a year 2000.

Jim.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Thanks Mike. Good research, good find.

I have a 2000 that has a very slight hurkey-jerkey. I've tried just about everything including cleaned injectors. I have a spare cat so I will try the lower O2 sensor from that first. I'll do it in the spring when I put the car back on the road.

Are you from Quebec? You should put that in your profile. I know of two other Insighters from Quebec.

Rick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Clarifying question

Hello,

Clarifying question:

This discussion is talking about replacing the secondary O2 sensor. And this older post is about the pricing on replacing the primary 02 sensor. Is that correct?

Thanks
Cris

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yes. Secondary is 4 wires, primary, 5 wires.

Sorry, I correct my fisrt post that was confusing. I was talking about my second o2 sensor. I corrected for secondary. I am french speaking, this is why :)

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Wow, fantastic discovery! In some ways I guess it makes sense, the O2 sensor monitors how much fuel is being dumped into the engine, if it is going bad it may be rapidly modulating the fuel input thus creating the herky jerky issue. I've saved this find in my library, thanks for the great information.

PS:: On the upside you've probably got one of the best running engines now with all those new parts!

·
Registered
140 Posts
This might be slightly off topic, but would a bad primary O2 sensor also cause the herky jerky?

And if so, is there a cheap ebay primary O2 sensor alternative similar to the one you found for the secondary?

It would be great to know I wouldn't have to pay $$$ if my primary O2 sensor ever goes bad.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This might be slightly off topic, but would a bad primary O2 sensor also cause the herky jerky?

Yes. Before I replaced my primary o2, the problem was worst.

An o2 sensor produce a voltage in presence of CO2. 0 to 1 v for a regular o2 sensor(insight secondary o2 sensor) and 0 to 5V for a wide band o2 sensor (insight primary o2 sensor)

The problem with o2 sensor, is that when they are coming old, the are less reactive. When they are getting older, they produce less voltage, then, the ECM think that the mixture is leaner that it is in reality. The ECM compensate by setting a richer mixture. This is what is causing the jerky situation.

Normally, the function of the secondary o2 sensor is only to check that the catalytic converter is doing his job, but I really think that for the insight, when the secondary o2 is reporting a lean mixture, the ECM change for a richer mixture to protect the catalytic converter.

Hope that my English is readable :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hooray! I'm going to try this, as my car has had the same ocassional problem and my mechanic wants to replace to compression coils and/or the catalytic converter. Not that they might not need it, but a $20 fix is what I'd like! The only thing is, the link that you provided doesn't have a list for me to buy for the U.S. I want to make sure I get the right one; can you help me find it on EBay for here? Thanks!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hooray! I'm going to try this, as my car has had the same ocassional problem and my mechanic wants to replace to compression coils and/or the catalytic converter. Not that they might not need it, but a $20 fix is what I'd like! The only thing is, the link that you provided doesn't have a list for me to buy for the U.S. I want to make sure I get the right one; can you help me find it on EBay for here? Thanks!
Just search for "SG1860 sensor" in your country ebay's page

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Great description. I'd heard same with a failing O2 sensor fluctuations slow down. i.e. viewed as a graph of voltage over time the curve is smoothed of rapid adjustments and flattened thereby biasing mixture to run to the rich side generally.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thank you!

I'm hoping this will fix my small problem as well, so thank you. My only quick question is how do I put this in my library here in insightcentral? I have been wanting to do this for many threads, please help.

·
Registered
66 Posts
New downstream O2 sensors

Hello fellows. I too am having herky jerky issues. I have a 2000 w/5sp. My son and I both have Insights with this problem. I just bought us each one of these new sensors. When we get them, we will report back what happens. On mine, I have checked egr plate(clean), disconnected egr power wire and drive vehicle(no change), swapped coils and plugs from another insight(no change), checked fuel pressure regulator(no problem), even changed the oil and filter. I will try this new sensor and hope for the best. I do have a P0420 error code reflecting converter issues.
Thanks guys for all the insight and thoughts. I hope to have something to contribute soon.
Ken

1 - 20 of 119 Posts